ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Wisconsin...from the roof

no nakedness, piercings or tatoos

from the roof of the house on the rock, which we spent Labor day Monday at. My oldest thought it was creepy, my youngest thought we should put fountains inside our house too.

adina
    Last edited by adina; 04-04-2006 at 10:03 AM.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

aww, here I thought I'd open this thread and figure out where you live. ;)

My mom was creeped out by the House on the Rock too. I may have been there but I would have been too little to remember.

This shot is nice but a bit flat. I'm surprised that the sky was so bad there, because it was perfectly sunny all day (except morning) here in SW Wisconsin.

I'm wondering if you couldn't get those barn windows whiter, and get some shadows a bit darker, maybe find some true black in there somewhere (the door of the structure next to the red barns?), and then fiddle with saturation and contrast a bit.

--- (later) ---

After finding the black point, I actually didn't need to saturate this shot at all.

I know this blew out the sky, but I think the barns pop more, which is really the focal point of this peaceful pastoral scene.

Hope you don't mind. You may not even like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wisconsin...from the roof-attachment-2-1.php.jpg  
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Good work kelly!

[/QUOTE]

After finding the black point, I actually didn't need to saturate this shot at all.

I know this blew out the sky, but I think the barns pop more, which is really the focal point of this peaceful pastoral scene.

Hope you don't mind. You may not even like this.[/QUOTE]

Kelly, I like what you did to this, the barns do indeed pop more, and the "foggy" look is gone, I find myself paying more attention to the textures of the pine needles in the foreground as well.

By the way, What's the house on the Rock?
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    okay, looked it up, couldn't wait, curiousity was killing me. Pretty cool.... Any other photos from there Adina?
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

A few others, haven't really gone thru them.

I like what you did Kelly, but it really was that flat and hazy when we were there. Rainy when we left our house, bright and sunny, nice blue skies with fluffy clouds the whole way there, and the grey and hazy the entire time we were outdoors there.

Thanks

adina

Adina, among the many things I've learned the past two months, I've realized that making a picture look exactly as I saw it does not make other people enjoy it. I'm learning that I should do everything I can to make a picture interesting and pleasing to the eye if I want other people to enjoy my shots.

This is what I'm learning, and I think it's making me better. But I definitely have an awful lot of pictures that *I* enjoy, that remind me of where I was and how it was there, that I don't show others.

That's why I'm trying to enhance my work more in post-processing, and so I have been looking at everyone else's work the same way I'd look at my own.

Adina
    This is such a wonderful picture. I love the vastness around it, and how small the barns look, even as the focal point. Its like finding a little treasure in the greenery.
    Love it!

VD

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    no nakedness, piercings or tatoos

from the roof of the house on the rock, which we spent Labor day Monday at. My oldest thought it was creepy, my youngest thought we should put fountains inside our house too.

adina
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

I agree mine looks overdone.

I wouldn't say overdone, just different.

One of the things I've learned regarding photography, is that there isn't any image that everyone is going to enjoy and like. People have different tastes. When I shot film, I always used Portra nc, because those were the tones I liked. Other people might choose a more saturated film, that's the look they like. My concern is not so much other people enjoying or liking it, my concern is if I like it. I post photos to share, not to please everyone. If someone has a different view or opinion, that's fine.

Unless it is one of my girls, then everyone better agree that they are by far some of the cutest kids they have ever seen

Thanks for commenting!

adina

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I wouldn't say overdone, just different.

One of the things I've learned regarding photography, is that there isn't any image that everyone is going to enjoy and like. People have different tastes. When I shot film, I always used Portra nc, because those were the tones I liked. Other people might choose a more saturated film, that's the look they like. My concern is not so much other people enjoying or liking it, my concern is if I like it. I post photos to share, not to please everyone. If someone has a different view or opinion, that's fine.

Unless it is one of my girls, then everyone better agree that they are by far some of the cutest kids they have ever seen

Thanks for commenting!

adina
    After rereading, I realize this may have come off as snotty. I don't mean it that way in the least. Just a difference in opinion.

adina

Thread Information