ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Winter Clothing

Newb Photographer

Winter Clothing

Well after a spell out of taking pictures im about to go out and get some snaps of the german market and ice rink in my town square.

but its a little chilly here in nottingham, anyone got any recommendations for good winter wear for traipsing around in?

I have got some sealskinz gloves, rather expensive for gloves, but can easily still use hands and they have a good grip on them, and are completely waterproof highly recommend :thumbsup: http://www.yeomansoutdoors.co.uk/pro...c_DTYHNbtR0VY=

lets see you wrapped up and ready to go
    Canon 350D | Remote Switch RS60-E3 | Battery Grip BG-E3 | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | Speedlite 580EX II |

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Winter Clothing

Dress in layers and get some hand and/or footwarmers.
    Don't wear cotton if you're likely to get wet.
    A good hat is also an absolute necessity.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Here is a thread I started back in 2005 about keeping warm in the winter.

Tips and tricks for keeping warm in the winter

Last year I finally broke down and bought myself a pair of insulated coveralls. I love them! They keep me warm and they are waterproof. I have the jacket to match as well. I have also purchased a synthetic shirt that is designed to pull the moister away from your body. It works great to keep your skin dry if you sweat. This makes a great base layer. I should get some pants like this as well. I also dress in layers.

Hand & foot warmers, good gloves a hat and warm boots with thick soles round out the outfit for the cold weather.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Hand and foot warmers rock, I also put the foot warmers in the waist of my jeans (at my back not on the skin) and I also wear Under Armour as my first layer (and yes it gets cold in Alabama!)

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lori11
    I also wear Under Armour as my first layer
    I have heard great things about Under Armour. In fact, the president UA just stepped down as the president/CEO of the company I work for to run UA.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Its great stuff, it works in winter for warmth ans in summer it "wicks" moisture away. Most everyone wears it under their leather's for both reasons. Try it out

yeah i wear under armor as a base layer, then put on varying layers of smart wool shirts (100% wool, non itchy, super comfy- but expensive, and worth every cent). and then the outter layer depends on where i am going or what i am doing.

for me its important to stay warm even if i get wet, cause alo of the time i am, and the under armor (pants and shirt) and the wool do that very well.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

For me it's all about layering. For a typical Winter hike I usually wear midweight base layers, my usual hiking pants or in case of snow goretex shell pants, then a 100 weight fleece shirt, and 200 weight fleece jacket. Follow that up with a Windstopper hat, polartec powerstretch gloves with a waterproof shell glove over them, and heavyweight smartwool socks. I keep a goretex shell in my packet should weather move in, and because I have come close a few times to spending unwanted nights out, I keep a dry sack in my pack with under armour cold weather gear top and bottoms, 300 weight fleece jacket and pants, another pair of heavy weight socks, and a fleece lined wool hat. It may be overkill but, when out hiking my body temperature fluctuates so much from when I'm hiking to when I'm stopped that this is the easiest set-up I have found to allow me to regulate body temp.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Newb Photographer

just had a look at the under armour stuff, looks pretty cool, i especially like the tactical gear they have.

Trying to find some snow boots to keep my toes cosy has proven very difficult, ive found some sorel ones online that I really like, but cant find any where near me that does them for me to try before buying
    Canon 350D | Remote Switch RS60-E3 | Battery Grip BG-E3 | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | Speedlite 580EX II |

Thread Information