ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Tips and tricks for keeping warm in the winter

Winter is a great time to be out and about taking photos, but getting cold, can put a stop to an outing pretty quickly

I have always struggled to keep warm while trying to enjoy the great outdoors in the
    winter. Dressing in layers is key, but I hate wearing so many layers that I can’t hardly
    move. I have finally found some solutions to keeping myself warm so I can enjoy being
    outside for longer periods of time and I would love to hear how others keep warm and dry
    in winter weather.

My feet were always the first thing to get cold, but I found a very inexpensive way to solve that problem. To keep my feet warm and dry, I didn’t go out and buy the biggest, baddest winter boots on the market. I went to the closet, and grabbed an old pair of tennis shoes. Then I went to Walmart, and bought some heated insoles to put in them. These aren’t anything fancy, just cheap insoles with a hollow spot that sits right below the ball of your foot. Then you put those little hand warmers that you get 2 for 88 cents, inside that hollow spot in the insole. Then to top it off, I got a cheap pair of 10" high rubber slip on boots to go over the top of everything. Get the boots a size or two bigger and it makes them much easier to get on and off. If you plan on doing a lot of walking, get a snugger fitting boot to go over your shoes. For about $15 my feet stayed the warmest and driest they ever have, and that was with stepping in open water and standing on a frozen lake for a couple hours.

So what do you do to keep warm?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Re: Tips and tricks for keeping warm in the winter

I think it was outdoor photographer magazine who had an entire article on this for their December issue. Personally, I don't think I will be out trudging through the snow with a camera out in the boondocks while looking for my future masterpiece. Ok, I lied. I probably will be.

I've heard that Underarmor Cold Weather Gear is good for controlling sweat and body temperature from a few security guards at my school, so I think I'm going to check that out.

What do people use for gloves?
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

drg

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    I've heard that Underarmor Cold Weather Gear is good for controlling sweat and body temperature from a few security guards at my school, so I think I'm going to check that out.

What do people use for gloves?
    I've worked outside off and on for years in extreme (-45 to 100+ F) weather and there are a few rules for cold.

1. Keep your head warm.
    2. Moisture control.
    3. The air next to your skin needs to be separated from the outside air, thus the need for layers.
    4. Keep your feet dry.
    5. Keep your hands dry and warm. You never know when you are going to need them and if they are cold, they may get stiff.
    [NOTE: 1, 4, & 5 add up to the adage about keeping your extremities warm]
    6. Don't overdress. Easier said than done, but does require being able to modify what you are wearing. So don't get the biggest baddest parka money can buy. You'll be hot for an hour or so and then get reaaalll cold.
    7. Try insulated coveralls or a snowmobile suit as a primary outer wear layer. Breaks the wind, adds a couple of layers and are tough as nails. Plus they are water resistant(external moisture control) You need to keep you legs and butt warm too.
    8. Carry spare socks. Your feet will produce up to a cup, yes a cup (8oz), of water a day in perspiration. Try mopping up a cup of water with the average sock! Put them in your inside pocket, they'll stay toasty. You can change socks anywhere as long as you are out of the wind. A warm, dry pair of sock wills actually make your whole body feel better. Electric socks are O.K. but batteries freeze and most of those socks are real cold without power.
    Inner silk socks or fine knit wool with over/outer socks of wool or polypropolene(StaDri, Wickmaster, Super Orlon, etc.) are probably the best extreme combos.
    9.Use clothing designed for the out of doors, whether for construction or hunting or military/law enforcement, there is good stuff that isn't that expensive.
    10. Remember, Eskimos never sweat.
    (O.K. Original Peoples, I think that's the P.C. term of the week)

Gloves- Funny you should ask, I was thinking about posting this all week:
    I started using mechanic or sport gloves (see photo below) in cold weather. They keep my hands warm and I can operate all the DSLR buttons. Did use shooting gloves but like these better. The mechanic gloves style are flexible to be able to pick up small pieces and transmit enough tactile info that you can feel buttons and controls etc. Plus they are grip enhancers so hands don't get numb from just squeezing so tight to not drop the camera.
    Generally waterproofed fleece are great, but you can't feel anything. They, the fleece, can be worn over the other gloves if it real bitter. Or try a pair of what are called gauntlet mittens over the sport gloves. Again, a construction item or for snowmobiling.

Footwear is simple, outer layer has to be waterproof/resistant depending on conditions and comfortable. Thus why the sneakers and outer rubber layer works well! I'd be a little concerned about sure footed-ness, but for standing around and not lots of action they are fine. Like socks, they need to aid in moisture control. Goretex lined footwear is the best.
    You can tromp through puddles, sloughs, bogs, or just potholes and the powder stays dry.
    I didn't mention that old trick did I ;) ? Talcum powder or corn starch sprinkled inside the socks will help prevent blisters (hot or cold weather) and aid in moisture wicking. There are high tech footpowders, but talc or organically derived powders are generally the primary component.

More questions, let me know. I also can sugggest what kind of clothes go from the boardroom to the Dakota's in mid-January.

Stay dry, stay warm, and post photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

You're right, The December issue of OP does have an article about this very subject.

As far as gloves go, I picked up a pair of glove/mittens a year or two ago for ice fishing and they work great for photography too. They have 40 gram thisulate insulation in them, and keep my hands pretty warm. You could even thro a little hand warmer in them too if you want. The mitten part flips back and out of the way so you can use your fingers to run your camera controls. It would be nice if the thumb did the same thing. A little snip with with the scisors would solve that issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tips and tricks for keeping warm in the winter-glove.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Lots of great info there DRG!!! You're right about the sure footedness of the rubber boot combo that I use for ice fishing. It will work for hiking if you're in a pinch and on a budget, but a good pair of Gortex boots would be ideal.

Gaitors are another inexpensive product that will help keep snow, mud, rain... out of your boots too.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Couple years ago I bought some of those toe warmers, and didn't expect much. What a surprise - they really work! I also have a pair of gloves like that, probably from Sierra Trading Post. If you aren't familiar with them, they're great for stuff like this. It's last year's closeouts at really good prices, and they're great to deal with.

Layers are important. When you're moving thru deep snow with all that equipment, the last thing you want to do is sweat. I open my coat a little so I don't overheat, then zip back up again when I'm not moving. The idea is to keep warm but not hot to the point that you will sweat because, like drg said - you'll get really cold soon after that.

Thread Information