ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Window Light Portrait

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    Wow! Another beauty OT! Your wife is stunning!

Here's another from me. (Along with a crop from the same shot).
    But, wait for it...here is the shocker...taken with my 17-40mm F/4 L lens.
    I wanted to see what it was made of. To see if I could take a GREAT window light portrait with it.
    I was amazed at the quality and sharpness of it
    I may have found new love in this lens. Sshhhhh musn't let my 50 mm here me say that! LOL
    Thanks you Alison I think Joy grows more beautiful with every passing year and these new grandkids are really putting a sparkle in her eyes.

That portrait of yours is amazing. I absolutely love the crop you did. It is sharp beyond words. What was you aperture setting on that one? The one of Joy was done in pretty low light and was shot at f2.8 with the 28-70. It's little harder to keep both eyes sharp when you are going that low as I'm sure you know.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    That portrait of yours is amazing. I absolutely love the crop you did. It is sharp beyond words. What was you aperture setting on that one? The one of Joy was done in pretty low light and was shot at f2.8 with the 28-70. It's little harder to keep both eyes sharp when you are going that low as I'm sure you know.
    Yes, I know it's hard to get both eyes sharp at 2.8. Unless you are almsot head on to someone like in the shot below.

I usually try to keep my aperture around 3.5 to 5.6 (if the light allows me to).
    That shot was taken in Manual mode, ISO 400, SS 1/100, F/5.6, focal length 40mm.
    I'm wishing now that I had used the F/4, that that lens allows, to try to get a bit more bg blur but I think I rushed to get my settings before he ran off again lol.

In the shot below, it was pretty dark, kitchen window in the next room lighting Wesley's face and the lounge window behind him. I used my 50mm for this one and my settings were Manual mode, ISO 400, SS 1/60, F/2.8.
    He was watching a dvd so he was pretty chilled. That allowed me to have my shutter slower than I would normally use on him :thumbsup:

Yes, I know it's hard to get both eyes sharp at 2.8. Unless you are almsot head on to someone like in the shot below.

In the shot below, it was pretty dark, kitchen window in the next room lighting Wesley's face and the lounge window behind him. I used my 50mm for this one and my settings were Manual mode, ISO 400, SS 1/60, F/2.8.
    Gorgeous once again, he has the most beautiful eyes. For some reason I didn't realize his name was Wesley. I have a grandson named Wesley and out of my four children and four grandsons he is the only one with blue eyes. I'll be with him this weekend in Louisville, doing a little baby sitting and I hope photography. I just hope I can do his eyes justice the way you do your Wesley's.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Caught my oldest daughter relaxing on the settee
    She's probably going to kill me for showing this.

Manual Mode, ISO 400, SS 1/80, f/2.8
    Last edited by Alison; 04-27-2007 at 09:24 AM.

Caught my oldest daughter relaxing on the settee
    She's probably going to kill me for showing this.
    Can't image that she would be upset about that picture. She looks like a starlet relaxing between movie takes. All your children have that special glow. (Or is it just your magic photographic touch?)

Nikon Samurai #13

Can't image that she would be upset about that picture. She looks like a starlet relaxing between movie takes. All your children have that special glow. (Or is it just your magic photographic touch?)
    Because of her freckles I guess.
    Us red heads hate our freckles lol.
    And as for the glow, well, I think it's probably a bit of both ;)
    Last edited by Alison; 04-27-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Because of her freckles I guess.
    Us red heads hate our freckles lol.
    And as for the glow, well, I think it's probably a bit of both ;)
    You can tell her for me that the freckles are what set her apart and make her special. And as you well know that red hair sets hearts to pounding so she has a lot going for her. And she has her own personal photographer, what more could a young woman want?

Nikon Samurai #13

Y'know what? I am really enjoying this thread.

I don't know why Lisa grabbed a towel and put it under a hat or why they put a wig on Trinity, or why Jenny tied a pillow case to her head.
    I didn't ask them to do any of this.
    They just kept grabbing stuff lol.
    The twins are ALWAYS doing hilarious stuff like this!

It was fun to fool around with them today, rather than having my photographer head on. (Well, to a certain extent I had to have. Still had to do my settings).
    You know what I mean? Composition, bg's etc. They were just fooling around and I was just snapping.

These are sooc as far as the exposures, in-camera crops, etc are concerned. Removed a couple of little blemishes and applied a sharpen for web but that was it.

It felt refreshing just to have some fun with my camera. It reminded me that this is what it's all about!
    These are all window light and all manual settings.
    At one point I had my aperture at f/2.0!!!
    Last edited by Alison; 04-28-2007 at 04:36 AM.

I always get such a kick out of the twins. They are going to be a real hand full as teens. Just keeping up with them will be a fulltime job. They are a riot. Loads of fun just recording thier antics. Nice job Ali.

Nikon Samurai #13

Maybe not my best example but one that really took on the hue of the surroundings. This was taken in strong side window light in a hotel room this weekend. Joy and I were doing a little baby sitting with Wesley while his parents were off attending a meeting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Window Light Portrait-dsc_1558-2-640.jpg  

Nikon Samurai #13

Look at those GORGEOUS eyes!

Here are a couple more from the same day.
    I wasn't going to put these two in but then I thought, what the heck lol.

Curtis watching the storm clouds roll through. On a side note, guess it's time to wash the windows :blush2:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Window Light Portrait-dsc_6070.jpg  
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Maybe not my best example but one that really took on the hue of the surroundings. This was taken in strong side window light in a hotel room this weekend. Joy and I were doing a little baby sitting with Wesley while his parents were off attending a meeting.
    OT - beautiful baby with a grrrrrrrrrrreat name! The kid has it all

thanks,
    Wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by shutterman
    OT - beautiful baby with a grrrrrrrrrrreat name! The kid has it all

thanks,
    Wes
    Thanks Wes I have to agree. Wesley was my great grandfathers name as well as his father's middle name so he came by it pretty honest. I like it when we are able to keep family names alive in the newer generations. All of my children and grandchildren have names that link them to past generations.

Nikon Samurai #13

I LOVE the name Wesley too!!!
    I got a few more shots yesterday and today.
    I'm so lucky to have sooooo many willing models :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All shot with my 50mm and Manual settings

#1 ISO 400, f/5.0, SS 1/60
    #2 ISO 200, f/4.5, SS 1/160
    #3 ISO 200, f/2.8, SS 1/125
    #4 ISO 400, f/2.8, SS 1/100

Love the second one and of course I'm a sucker for the babies big liquid eyes (beautiful). From the looks of the first on someone around the house must do a little sewing. Matching gowns!!

Nikon Samurai #13

I'm a sucker for her big brown eyes too.

You guessed right about the sewing.
    My Aunty is always making clothes for my children. You've seen Wesley's shirts and Trinity's layered dresses.

Well she made Danielle some pyjama's and then presented me with a doll that she bought from a charity shop for 25p. She has so far made the doll some pyjama's to match Danielle's, a dress with a hat, a t-shirt with dungarees and hat to match.
    I think she is still in the process of making the doll more clothes.

Shall I bore you with more pictures of the doll?
    Of course, they would have to be window light portraits lol.

Gina was ready to go to a party this evening. She looked so pretty that I asked her to put on the charm for my camera
    Boy, does she know how to work the camera or what!
    Last edited by Alison; 05-12-2007 at 07:17 PM.

I'll put this one in here too. Although, it's photoshopped to the max haha.

our 4 year old timmy

Quote Originally Posted by jkriminger
    our 4 year old timmy
    Awww what a sweetie!

I went to my niece's house today to take pics of her 1 week old baby girl
    I'm pretty pleased with what I got :thumbsup:

the silhouette is just awesome, she will treasure these forever. Beautiful work.

Quote Originally Posted by KyRain
    the silhouette is just awesome, she will treasure these forever. Beautiful work.
    Thank you. I love the silhouette too and when I showed her that shot on the LCD I loved her reaction. She loved it too :thumbsup:

Here are a couple more from me. Danielle with her doll.

I think the first shot is my fave. I love the hairlight!

NO doubt about it you are the Queen of Window Light Portraits. That first one is a real treasure. Great job once again Alison.

Nikon Samurai #13

Alison,

Every time I see one of your portraits I want to pick up the camera, but I get scared because you've set the standard so high.

I bow down to the Godess of portraits.

One day after a bottle of whisky:lol:

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information