ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: while we are on projects :)

You're a very brave soul

I hate tiling. Stone work, concrete, drywall, painting, anything that's not woodworking basically. Masonry is just such messy stuff. Give me nostrils full of pine dust over silica dust any day

GL with your bathroom!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

while we are on projects :)

Here is my latest project after Many hours of work. We gutted the bathroom just before that nice little 19" storm and lost 14 hours of work time.

After rewiring, adding plumbing, dropping in a tub/ surround walls and sheetrocking over the imperfect framing(a plumbing vent that still stuck an inch past the wall joists at the ceiling) then spackling with 8 gallons of spackle over 4 days!!, we finally got the subfloor and durock in.

The lighting in there isn't the best yet, but I will need to paint before tiling, putting the light bar in and dropping the sink, toilet, med cabinet , wall cabinet , and all the towel rack type stuff in.

This is as wide as my digis got at 28mm on a 1D, but I have had a 19-35 on my nikon film burner for the whole job ;)

.... don't edit my posts anymore ........... ;)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails while we are on projects :)-9975bath.jpg.jpg  
    Last edited by Photo-John; 02-20-2006 at 06:55 PM.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

I have my uncle helping, he's a union carpenter for 20+ years. You don't think I did all that taping and spackling did you BTW... see that X on the wall. That is were my access panel to shut the water off to the WHOLE bathroom is I don't want to ever have to run down 2 flights of stairs to the main shut off if a pipe bursts

I have to do the tile all by myself, and I am scared !!!! Neatness isn't my strong point and the tiles are too nice to cover with a rug once I finish !
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I did a tile foyer once about a year ago. It was H-E-double hockey sticks! I hate doing tile. Wait, I already said that. But we have a 2000 square foot house in need of flooring and 5 pallets of travertine sitting in the front yard. So either I'm going to be doing tile soon or we're gonna have to find someone else to do it for us CHEAP.

Don't get too worried about your tile. Here's a picture of my first tiling job. I had never done tile before, and I was basically reading the book as I went along. It was hard, dirty, messy, uneven, out of square, etc. But you know what? No one even noticed Here's a tip: buy yourself a $88 wet saw from Home Depot rather than renting one. It'll save you the cost of renting a wet saw over and over again and you won't have to worry about hurrying to get done and return it. And you'll have it for the next time.

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails while we are on projects :)-floor-new2.jpg  
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Rick,

I am not angling my tiles and the few cuts I need are (hopefully) going to be done by Lowes for me. Sure I need to cut around the flange for the toilet, but a wet saw can't do round cuts I will use a jigsaw and pliers
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Thread Information