ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

What is your favorite F stop

I have noticed looking at the EXIF data that the F stop that gives me the a blurred background that I like and makes my subject stand out on my zoom lens without totally making the background unrecognizable is F 5/6. This gives me a nice blur without going too far. I haven't tried my new F2.8 70-200VR but I do like the effect of my previous pictures with the 5.6 setting.

So what is your favorite F stop in situations like this? I guess I am wondering just how much of a blur you like, Jeff

Example of mine below at f 5.6
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is your favorite F stop-dsc_1034-copy.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: What is your favorite F stop

5.7 is what I typically use.

I am typically somewhere between 5.6 and 8, really depends on how far away from the subject the background elements are. I probably have more images with the bg blur where I want it that are shot at F8, than any other stop. This Golden Eagle is an example of one my F8 shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is your favorite F stop-20101007_goldeneagle_002-sm.jpg  
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

F/4, which is wide open on most of my lenses.

--Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

I figured there would be a few that said 2.8 or the 1.8 f stops. I like it blurry but still able to tell a little of what the background might be. Enough to bake the subject stand out, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

For isolation I'll usually be at the widest aperture for the lens than I'm using , and the closest focus I can possibly have, without scaring my subject

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

When photographing wildlife, I'm typically shooting at f/9 for the simple fact that on my big zoom lens, f/9 gives me the sharpest photos. I would love to be able to shoot at a much wider aperture to help blur the background more, but it really isn't an option with my main wildlife lens.

As far as the amount of blur goes, I really like a nice smooth wash of color behind my subject if possible.

Shooting at f/9 can really make that a challenge, so I have to pay attention to where I set up and make sure anything in the background is a ways away to help blur it out the way I like.

At times I also like to show the environment of my subject so it really depends on what I'm going for.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    I figured there would be a few that said 2.8 or the 1.8 f stops. I like it blurry but still able to tell a little of what the background might be. Enough to bake the subject stand out, Jeff
    Oh dear, you want to *b*ake the subject! That's not nice to do to those birds :P

LOL, sorry

I'm with Mike for what I want, smooth wash of color. I don't mind if its uniform or non-uniform, but I prefer not to have enough distinction to tell what's behind.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Oh dear, you want to *b*ake the subject! That's not nice to do to those birds :P

LOL, sorry

I'm with Mike for what I want, smooth wash of color. I don't mind if its uniform or non-uniform, but I prefer not to have enough distinction to tell what's behind.
    I always read my posts before I send them but I sure missed that one. You haven't lived until you have tasted baked pelican! LOL Jeff

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

My usual aperture is f/5.6 with my 300mm and 500mm lenses - not because of the quality of the blur at those apertures but because I'm typically looking for maximum resolution and those primes are exceptional stopped down one stop. And having the fastest possible shutter speed while hand-holding or monopod-mounted dictates that I can't stop down any further if I also want the lowest possible ISO.

So when I'm using my 2x teleconverter on these lenses, it's f/11.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Good point, I think I usually opt for the low end, but will definitely have to play with this higher settings to try and find a good balance.

As wide open as possible. Resolution be damned. :-)
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information