ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

What Shutter Speed Do You Need to Freeze a Fastball?

I shot this with a D70 and Nikon 180mm set @ ISO 400, f/2.8, and 1/500 - clearly not fast enought to freeze a 90 mph fastball. Jus thought I'd share.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Shutter Speed Do You Need to Freeze a Fastball?-throw.jpg  

I would move the shutter speed a bit faster like 1/750 to 1/1000, but you might need to adjust the f stop as well. With movement shots, if it is going side ways from right to left, left to right, you need a faster shutter speed than if the object is comming towards you. Anyway that is what I have read.

Hope this helps.

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    I would move the shutter speed a bit faster like 1/750 to 1/1000, but you might need to adjust the f stop as well. With movement shots, if it is going side ways from right to left, left to right, you need a faster shutter speed than if the object is comming towards you. Anyway that is what I have read.

Hope this helps.

You are correct Peter. From in front of, or behind the pitcher, 500th of a second should be plenty fast enough. From the side, expect to need 1000th or even 1500th of a second to "freeze" a fast ball.

BTW, great catch Lava Lamp!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Cool shot, I like the diagonal framing to it. Just about a millionth of a second earlier and the ball would have had a dark background...

An 85 mph fastball moves at 1435 inches per second. Use that with the above replies. Go as fast as you can get away with.

I would say at least 1000th of a second in your type of shot. Probably closer to a 2000th to totally stop the ball. You may have to move up to a faster film if you are shooting under the lights or an overcast day to compensate for the faster speed. I always thought the lights at a baseball game were bright until I tried shooting at Yankee Stadium a few years ago. With my slow zoom I needed to push the film to ISO 2000 just to get a fast enough shutter speed to compensate for my f 4.5 zoom.

Thread Information