ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

well I think I've just been offered a job..(m)

the Gymnastics centre where my dd goes saw me taking photos of my dd today while in a competition and one of the board members approached me and asked if I want to do some advertising photos for them. They are looking at getting some pro photos to put online and some for the local newspaper to promote their centre!

After a while, he came back later and said he'd run it by the manager and he was keen to have some group shots done (which I did today) and they are happy to pay me. They need to run it by the board members at the next meeting as to how much their willing to spend. I told them that as my dd is a gymnist there that I'd be happy not to charge for the work but I would like a fee to cover costs (plus a bit). They want me to attend the next State Comp to photograph the top gymnists in the state!! Nothing enormous but it's pretty good for me considering I am only really doing this as a 'fun' thing!

Cant wait to start now! States arent on again til next year so I'll be waiting a long time! Oh Well..

Re: well I think I've just been offered a job..(m)

That's great news Tink.
    I can understand your offering to do it on a cost only basis in support of your dad, but you should think of other ways this could help you make a little money for new camera gear and such. Ask those folks if you can display some shots of your dad (and others who give an OK) and work up a photo package deal for other gymnasts that gives you a little cash.
    If the folks at the centre offer more than cost only, don't be shy about taking it. They wouldn't be offering it if your work wasn't worth it.
    ----------------------------

Re: well I think I've just been offered a job..(m)

This is one "sticky" subject with pro's! On one side you want to help them out, on the other side it's hurting the pro's every time someone either doesn't charge for photos or just "covers expenses". I personally wouldn't touch that deal for less than $250.
    Consider that they want the photos to promote their business, ie, to MAKE MONEY! So, in reallity I would probably charge them more like $500.

Just some things for you to consider.

JS

Thread Information