ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

U.S. Navy July 1961

Here are a couple before and after shots of some Kodachomes my dad took when he was in the Navy. This is my first attempt at touching up old photos. I'll be the first to addmit that these aren't the greatest fixes in the world, but it sure is a great learning experiance. I can't tell if some of the marks on these are slide damage, or just parts of a rusty old ship. My goal is to get these printed and put in a scrap book for him for his birthday. It's not till the end of August so I have some time, but I also have about 60 photos to go thru... Just thought I would share.

Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails U.S. Navy July 1961-dia_0040-before.jpg   U.S. Navy July 1961-dia_0040-after.jpg   U.S. Navy July 1961-dia_0042-before.jpg   U.S. Navy July 1961-dia_0042-after.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: U.S. Navy July 1961

wow mjs, nice job! Seriously, that's some of the best digital photo repair I've seen! Feel proud. I take it you used Photoshop to do them up in.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thanks Alex. I did use PS CS2 for these. The healing brush works wonders!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

You know, there's no denying you did a great job of repairing the photos, but is it just me, or is there something really nice and special about old photos!?

I kinda like the spots and the old feel to the originals. It suits the images, and adds to the history of the photos....

Great repair job! Looks great!

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by Miffy
    You know, there's no denying you did a great job of repairing the photos, but is it just me, or is there something really nice and special about old photos!?

I kinda like the spots and the old feel to the originals. It suits the images, and adds to the history of the photos....
    I really do like the look of old photos. Especially the ones that have turned a yellowish tint and have creases in them. I have often thought of taking new images and truning them into older looking photos, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information