Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

20% of U.S. Internet Users Own a Camera Phone - Press Release

Nearly 20% of U.S. Internet Users Now Own a Camera Phone, According to New InfoTrends/CAP Ventures Study

WEYMOUTH, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 27, 2005--A recent InfoTrends/CAP Ventures study reveals that nearly 20% of U.S. Internet users owned a mobile phone with an embedded digital camera at the end of 2004, compared to just 3% in 2003. In addition, 27% of consumers who do not currently own a camera phone are highly interested in purchasing one as their next mobile phone. Two out of three current camera phone owners use the camera function on a regular basis to take pictures.

The number one feature that both current and future camera phone owners are looking for is better image quality. "The introduction of several new megapixel handsets in 2005 will set off the next big wave of buying," says Jill Aldort, consultant at InfoTrends/CAP Ventures. "And higher resolutions will drive more printing from camera phones, which is good news for printing vendors."

The study shows that over 40% of current camera phone owners have printed their camera phone images. "Camera phone print volume will continue to increase as manufacturers introduce higher resolution and better quality optics, as well as options like Bluetooth and removable memory to make image transfer easier," says Aldort.

InfoTrends/CAP Ventures' new report entitled 2004 Camera Phone End User Survey Analysis is available immediately. The report answers key questions about consumer behavior to provide market development guidance to digital camera and mobile phone manufacturers, wireless carriers, and all digital photography vendors. The 70+ page analysis with 90 figures and two sets of 270-page tabulations provides extensive research and analysis by age, income, and other demographics and usage patterns. It reveals detailed trends on camera phone ownership and usage such as purchase motivation, monthly spending, and photo capture, sharing, and printing.

A related multi-client study entitled 2004 Mobile Imaging: Technology Trends, Consumer Behavior and Business Strategies is also available. This study provides a global perspective on consumer behavior in major markets including North America, Western Europe, Japan, and China.

About InfoTrends/CAP Ventures

InfoTrends/CAP Ventures is the leading worldwide market research and strategic consulting firm for the digital imaging and document solutions industries. InfoTrends/CAP Ventures provides research, analysis, forecasts, and advice to help clients understand market trends, identify opportunities, and develop strategies to grow their businesses. Additional information about InfoTrends/CAP Ventures is available on the Web at www.infotrends-rgi.com.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: 20% of U.S. Internet Users Own a Camera Phone - Press Release

OK, but when can I get a 14-600MM OPTICAL zoom, Raw and 8MP's from my watch /camera/phone/ gps/ stungun/ smoke detector ;)

technolgy is a riot (I may apply for a patent on that ?)

cool article btw John
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Re: 20% of U.S. Internet Users Own a Camera Phone - Press Release

I have a camera phone and yes, when I bought it the #1 reason I chose the model I have is because it had the best picture quality available at the time.

I actually don't like the phone all that much; the num pad is awkward and the phone itself is too big. But I *have* used the camera feature ... mostly to capture a fleeting memory, sometimes to prove a point, and a couple times to be able to quickly share a scene with others that would have been lost otherwise. Once I had a photo I took on my camera phone printed in a newspaper. Of course it wasn't the best image quality, but it was actually not bad. It was a picture of the crazy way people were parking in a parking lot that had recently received snow.

I love having the *option* of image capture on a small gadget that is always with me. I can't wait for the quality to improve, and I'll be one of the first in line for a new phone when it does.

Unfortunately, with camera phones you've gotta deal with the whole issue of whether your phone is allowed into certain public areas, like locker rooms and concert venues. I sure don't look forward to checking my phone at the door with a thousand others.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thread Information