ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

trying to find a thread .....

I can't remember where I seen it but ... the thread started talking about backgrounds and someone posted a "HOW TO" make backgrounds in photoshop using gradients and the result looked like loosely folded fabric. Someone also mentioned in the thread about how he / she takes pics of fog / mist and uses that as a start for backgrounds ..

I have done multiple searches for this thread and can't find it .. if anyone knows where it is or even how the process is done to make backgrounds like that in ps please let me know . :thumbsup:

thanks for anyones help in finding this thread !!
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Re: trying to find a thread .....

Not sure about the thread but here's a technique I use to add a studio tarp to the background:

Set the foreground color to a dark gray and the background color to light gray.

Use the gradient tool from top to bottom of you screen to give you a dark on top, light on bottom gradient.

Go to Filter->Render->Clouds

Then fade the clouds. Edit->Fade Clouds (fade by about 50%)

You can keep it like that or I like to add a bit of noise to give it some more texture. Filter->Noise->Add Noise. I use the setting at 1, Distribution Gaussian, and check Monochromatic

Then fade the noise by about 50% Edit->Fade Add Noise

That will give you a good background to work with.

You can change the color easily by adding a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, clicking Colorize and playing around with the sliders.

The final step once you drop your picture in is to give the illusion of studio lighting. You can do this a few ways. One is to go to Filter->Render->Lighting Effects, choose Crossing as the Style and adjust accordingly. The one I like is to use the Elliptical Marquee tool to put a selection in the center of your canvas. Select->Inverse then Select->Feather. Add a fairly large feather to the selection then go to
    Image->Adjustments->Curves and drag the middle of the line down and to the right until you get the effect you like.

Hope that helps. Here's an example of one I did recently for a quick and easy family portrait.

tony

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'd bet it was one of Alison's
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

i been doing a ton of searches looking for this "how to"

ended up doing searches in google and actually came to a sight with similar instructions ...

here is the tutorial i was looking for

http://tutorialoutpost.com/count/5095

here is the link to all the pattern tutorials they have

http://tutorialoutpost.com/tutorials...tures-patterns
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Thread Information