ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

tried ISO 1600 on my Nikon D80

This was taken with the following....
    Nikon D80
    18-200VR Nikon lens
    F-5.6
    ISO 1600
    Focal length 62mm
    35 focal length equivalant 93mm
    1/60 sec shutter speed hand held
    Taken about a distance of 10 feet
    Room dark except this lamp for light

See what you think of the picture as far as the 1600 ISO effects the photo. There has been nothing done to this photo except to crop and re-size to post here.

Let me add in here that I wasn't worried about white balance, Composition or DOF in this photo. I was only trying to see how my camera handled the 1600 ISO. The camera white balance was set on incandescent and the lamp had a florescent bulb in it. :thumbsup:

I would like to say that I was very impressed, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tried ISO 1600 on my Nikon D80-dsc_0921-copy.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: tried ISO 1600 on my Nikon D80

This is really very nice and crisp, much better than my junker does at 1600! The only thing that seems a touch "off" is the white balance, either my eyes are going or it's leaning ever so slightly toward green.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I think there is a bit of green cast that can be seen on the paper.
    Our D80s aren't supposed to be this good are they?
    I will now be trying it, too. Maybe the high iso doesn't cause as much noise as long exposures do??

So with these excellent results does that mean you're not getting the D90?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    This is really very nice and crisp, much better than my junker does at 1600! The only thing that seems a touch "off" is the white balance, either my eyes are going or it's leaning ever so slightly toward green.
    Jetrim, you are right about the green tint! That is why I put in my post to look at the picture and see how the ISO effects it. I didn't worry about white balance, composition, DOF or anything else. I just wanted to know how my camera handled the high ISO. I just put in the settings in case someone wanted to know. Thanks for taking the time to look and leave a comment, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I think there is a bit of green cast that can be seen on the paper.
    Our D80s aren't supposed to be this good are they?
    I will now be trying it, too. Maybe the high iso doesn't cause as much noise as long exposures do??

So with these excellent results does that mean you're not getting the D90?
    Frog, I will be adding the D90 just as soon as I can get the money. I need to add that I did have the High Noise Reduction on in my camera, Jeff

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Yes Frog,In my opinion...I think the D80 still has it.
    Nice results,that's a clean shot Jeff.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The D80 has an agressive noise reduction system when set on high,I like it better in some ways than the D90..(just a couple).LOL I've only been shooting with a D90 for 3 months...so. I might be slightly off topic here but...

What I think I have observed so far.

1. D80 Vivid mode for example is a notch above the D90.More time PP to achieve the same results.
    2. D80 B/W mode produces better images straight out of the camera.Contrasty, punchy,quite nice.That's only my opinion.Having used / compared both.
    3.Active D-lighting is a wonderful thing, that's the biggest step forward from the D80-->D90 in the exposure department.
    Just my thoughts.

:thumbsup: Thanks for posting this Jeff.

Rick
    Last edited by starriderrick; 03-25-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Good, clean high ISO performance is so liberating. For those of us who grew up with film, ISO was basically a constant - we used the film we liked and we were restricted to having only the shutter speed and aperture to control the exposure.

Having a 5-stop usable ISO range at our fingertips (some cameras have a 7 stop range) is like suddenly growing a third arm and hand.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

These were taken at the same time as the first picture was last night. The first picture I took a light reading on the lamp and you can see how dark it is just two boards up the wall from the top of the lamp and there is a clock that you almost can't tell that it's there.

Next I just pointed at the clock and took another picture and now the clock can be seen. Remember, the only reason these pictures were taken was to try out the 1600 ISO. Again I wasn't worried about white balance, composition or DOF, just ISO. Look back at the first picture and see how little light was on the clock, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tried ISO 1600 on my Nikon D80-dsc_0919-copy.jpg-lamp-clock.jpg   tried ISO 1600 on my Nikon D80-dsc_0920-copy.jpg-clock.jpg  

I shot this one yesterday right after reading your post. iso1600, shot cRAW, in camera high iso noise reduction turned off. Processed in lightroom, default NR settings were luminance NR 0, color NR 25. I corrected the perspective distortion (wide angle lens) in photoshop and then just resized for web.

The one thing that is a tell tale sign of high iso shots, since now the noise in newer cameras is so well controled, is the reduction in dynamic range. However well this image is exposed, there's a lot of clipping in the shadows under the desk, and the papers are blown out, and I couldn't really recover any detail from the raw file. I'd need a tripod to try the shot again at a low iso to see how much detail could have been recoverd in the highlights and shadows.

In most conditions, my camera floats in the 400-800 iso range, if it's bright I'll roll it down to the 100 - 200 range, and if it's dark, I'll run it all the way up to 2000 or more, 3200 gets a bit grainy for my tastes, and I'm not that into hard core noise reduction processing. Takes too much time.

BM
    Sony A700
    Sony CZ 16-80 F3.5-4.5
    Sony 50 F1.4
    Minolta 70-210 F4
    Sony F56-AM Flash

Thread Information