ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Studio Test Setup

I don't know if I've told you guys, but I've decided that I'm going to start doing some more formal and in-depth camera testing. I'll try to refrain from giving opinions on what camera people should buy. I want to concentrate on what is quantifiable and what sets cameras apart from each other. Towards the quantifiable end, I've set up this tabletop test. I plan to shoot this basic setup with all cameras that come my way, at all ISO settings. I think this will give us all a pretty trustworthy way to compare the different cameras image quality.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Studio Test Setup-macbethtarget.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

John, where did you get the colour chart from, I can't find them here in Aus.

It's a GretagMacbeth target. I ordered it from B&H. I think it cost $30 US.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Talking Great Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I don't know if I've told you guys, but I've decided that I'm going to start doing some more formal and in-depth camera testing. I'll try to refrain from giving opinions on what camera people should buy. I want to concentrate on what is quantifiable and what sets cameras apart from each other. Towards the quantifiable end, I've set up this tabletop test. I plan to shoot this basic setup with all cameras that come my way, at all ISO settings. I think this will give us all a pretty trustworthy way to compare the different cameras image quality.

What do you think?
    Are you planning on shooting at the various pixil levels, or just picking one level to shoot all of the camera's at? Also, is there something on your table you can use for resolution/fine detail? A grid pattern, or are the alligators teeth and scales fine enough for that? Just curious. Hey, I've got a technical mind - I've stated repeatedly that I am NOT the artistic type! :-O

I really like this idea. It would be great to have a quantifiable comparison between cameras. It removes the brand/model/etc bias. I say roll on with it!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

I am with you!

At last )) John, I am at your service.
    I have been doing this for quite some time, and I have to tell you, testing equpment in a studio is a terribly mundane experience, but useful nevertheless. Let's do it.
    Irakly

Thread Information