ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Starting out

Question Starting out

Hi, I'm just starting out really. I always like taking photos and I want to upgrade to a decent camera. I will shoot for pleasure, and for sentimental record, as opposed to for profession, or for college art or anything, and I will publish always to the net, mainly at my blog. I have about 200 quid (of your english pounds) as my DEFINITE upper ceiling, and as a 17 eyar old student, don't want to be faced with horrendous costs (or worry too much about loosing it)

My first thought was a 35mm SLR, probably a minolta Dynax 5 (I think they are called maxxxums or something in the USA. They are falling in price because of the digital revolution.

My main worries are though;
    1) Development costs, with a film costing about £3-4 from boxed film to prints (although I can get hold of cheap dated film for practicing wacky stuff)...and
    2) Publishing them electronically...

Obviously a digiSLR is not in my price range by £300, and I want the features of an SLR..

Anyone have any experience of minoltas / this particular model (dynax 5) and also, any recomendations on making them digitised - maybe its worth my getting a -ve scanner?

Also, if anyone has 'premonitions' about crashing prices in any camera category (so i don't buy an expensive camera and find it reduced by half the day after) that would be cool.
    Last edited by mrjcfreak; 06-02-2004 at 12:10 PM.
    eye is to the body and the thought is to the soul,
    both are lenses who's sharpness I control

welcome

although I can't give a whole lot of advice on this (but someone will soon enough) just wanted to say I REALLY enjoyed looking at your site and reading some of the bio odf your band. the forum link is a great resource as well.

Look forward to seeing you post pics (even if it's just for fun) but be warned this is an addiction
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thread Information