Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Internal lens flare?

I took these two shots last night. The first one is with the Canon 85mm 1.8, 30sec, f11, iso 200. The second is with the 50mm f1.8, 20 sec, f11, iso 100. What gives? Is this internal lens flare? I tried changing angles and for some of the shots it helped. Thanks.

Ivan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal lens flare?-210_1074example.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like a reflection rather than flare

Quote Originally Posted by ichiu
    I took these two shots last night. The first one is with the Canon 85mm 1.8, 30sec, f11, iso 200. The second is with the 50mm f1.8, 20 sec, f11, iso 100. What gives? Is this internal lens flare? I tried changing angles and for some of the shots it helped. Thanks.

Ivan
    The form of the artifact in your first image looks just like the lights on the bridge. This makes me think it might be a reflection off something in the camera being reflected back onto the sensor/film. I seem to recall reading about this happening with digital image sensors, which have a shiny surface. But this happens with film cameras as well. It might even be in the lenses.

Charles

Did you use a lens hood? That may solve the problem or at least help, night shots seem to be more prone to flare.

That could be a problem...

Thanks Charles for the insight. That's the first I've heard of digital cameras prone to this. If that's so, that's going to suck. I've never had this problem with my night shots on film. And this is the first i've seen on the 10D, never had this problem with my digirebel. hmmm... I think I need more investigating.

Ivan

Was there a filter on the lens? I had all sorts of ghosts and reflections until I stopped using UVs. I have taken several shots with the 10D upwards of 30 seconds, no reflections here. Good luck.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Don't say it was me starting the rumour

Quote Originally Posted by ichiu
    Thanks Charles for the insight. That's the first I've heard of digital cameras prone to this. If that's so, that's going to suck. I've never had this problem with my night shots on film. And this is the first i've seen on the 10D, never had this problem with my digirebel. hmmm... I think I need more investigating.

Ivan
    I don't remember where I read that about image sensors being shiny. I don't want to start any false rumours. Sebastien could be right, I've had this sort of thing happen with a non-multicoated UV filter.

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    I don't remember where I read that about image sensors being shiny. I don't want to start any false rumours. Sebastien could be right, I've had this sort of thing happen with a non-multicoated UV filter.

Charles
    Charles,

Relax, you are not the first to mention the relfectance of the sensor.

I have heard about it before, but it seems to be one of those once in a million sort of things. Now that I think about it, I only heard about this with the 14n, and only with certain lenses, at certain apertures. Apparently it's something that a new coating is supposed to fix on the new SLR/n.

Anyway, you're not imagining things.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

UV filter was on the first shot

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Was there a filter on the lens? I had all sorts of ghosts and reflections until I stopped using UVs. I have taken several shots with the 10D upwards of 30 seconds, no reflections here. Good luck.

You may be right. I had a UV filter on the 85mm. But I took it off after I noticed the wierd reflections. That seemed to work. But, there's no filter on the 50mm and I can't seem to figure out where that flare is coming from.

Ivan

Thread Information