ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Size does matter!

Just processed my first roll of 120 last night and man, those negs are a whole world away from 35mm! Using full 4800dpi resolution on my scanner makes for roughly 115 megapixels!...LOL

Here's a few of my first shots. Nothing special. Was just playing around trying to get used to the camera, parallax, and the dizzying reversed image viewfinder. These with shot with the Yashica 124G and Ilford HP5.

Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Re: Size does matter!

Nice work, Aaron! Great job for a first roll. :thumbsup: The DOF differences take a little getting used to and you did a good job keeping those horizons level. I always had crooked horizons with my TLR shots.

Paul

Well, let's just say the level horizons had a little... ahem... help...LOL They actually weren't that crooked. Nothing like my first roll or 2 with the 35mm when I really wasn't paying much attention to it. Actually, shooting these I was having such a hard time leveling the horizon in the viewfinder that I paid extra close attention to it. Thanks for all your help and advice along the way Paul. Much appreciated :thumbsup:

Aaron
    Last edited by Xia_Ke; 09-24-2007 at 11:03 AM.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Just processed my first roll of 120 last night and man, those negs are a whole world away from 35mm! Using full 4800dpi resolution on my scanner makes for roughly 115 megapixels!...LOL
    You have not seen negs until you shoot 4x5 or larger.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    You have not seen negs until you shoot 4x5 or larger.
    So I keep hearing...LOL I would like to get there eventually but, I still have A LOT to learn. I was pretty blown away with the MF though. I had never even seen any MF film in person until last Thursday so this is a whole new world to me. Loving it though :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Lol. You have not seen high dpi until you see a 4x5 contact print from a 4x5 camera. It is unbelievable. Even from a medium format camera, resolution is incredible. Makes me want to take the H1 out of the basement now. Problem is film is sooooo expensive compared to my cheap D80. Ah well...
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Very nice for the first time out Aaron. I started out with a Yashica TLR in my first photo class in college back in 1968. I bought a Mamiya C220 and shot wedding with it for about 10 years before going to a Mamiya 645. All the medium formates are gone now but I agree you sure got a nice neg to work with.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks guys

fx, I agree, film is expensive. That's why I just buy bulk lots on Ebay of expired stuff. This roll of HP5 was part of a lot of 25 rolls for only $17 after shipping. Since I have some film, don't suppose you would want to send that H1 this way? I'll give it some use :thumbsup:

OT, I had looked at the Mamiya C series. I think a C330 might be next up for me. between the Canonet, the Yashica, and only having the 50mm for the Nikkormat, I'm missing a good wide angle. I have the Oly but, I dunno, there's just something about it that I don't like shooting with. Lots of people complain about the weight of the C-Series, how bad did you find it?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

No problem with the weight for me but than you have to remember back when I was using it every camera was built like an anvil and weighted about as much.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Yeah - don't look at 4x5 and larger transparencies... You'll lose sleep trying to justify buying one!

If you're going to develop your own film, you might as well have a big negative to work with. 2-1/4 is several times larger than 35mm so you have more possibilities - just like a higher resolution digital camera. Glad you're having fun with it, looks like you're doing well!

Thanks OT I have no problems with a heavy camera. My favorite actually is my Nikkormat which is about 2 and a half pounds with the 50 on it. I like the extra heft of it. Just that's like the first thing everyone says when you read a review about them, that it's like carrying a lead weight around.

That's what I'm afraid of a_v I don't think I'll be heading down that road for quite some time though. I have my hands full working with 35mm and MF right now. Besides, I can't really justify a LF if all I'm doing is scanning negs. Now when I can get some sort of darkroom going and can start making prints, then I'll start thinking more about it
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Nice shoots Aaron. Iam glad to see that you are getting thing ironed out.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Greg Yeah, I'm not sure what was up with it jamming that one time. Oh well, seems fine now. Hopefully my light meter will get here soon so I can really start playing with this thing. I've got a 5 pack of Kodak E100GX that has a date with some foliage
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Besides, I can't really justify a LF if all I'm doing is scanning negs. Now when I can get some sort of darkroom going and can start making prints, then I'll start thinking more about it
    Get a 4x5 enlarger, mount the head sideways and hang the paper on the opposite wall of the darkroom. Big, big prints...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Get a 4x5 enlarger, mount the head sideways and hang the paper on the opposite wall of the darkroom. Big, big prints...
    I have this documentary on Ansel and there's this scene of him doing that with an 8x10 neg and making this HUGE print. Very mesmerizing to watch.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I have this documentary on Ansel and there's this scene of him doing that with an 8x10 neg and making this HUGE print. Very mesmerizing to watch.
    I saw a big Ansel Adams exhibit back when I was still using a real dark room, and I remember thinking, "where the heck can you find trays that big?!"

I was just thinking about that actually because I just ordered some more chemicals. Was trying to think of how much you would need to do a print like that. The one in the video is somewhere in the neighborhood 4'x5'. Was very interesting watching the process of him dodging/burning (at least I think that's what he was doing ). Looked like a conductor...LOL
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Check your local thrift stores weekly, if there are none in your area, frequent garage sales in wealthy neighborhoods. I just bought a minolta mod III for 39 bucks at a thrift store. I am finding used cameras and darkroom equipment dirt cheap at all the thrift stores. I still have not got the paper or chemicals because I am pressed for time as it is on my days off and I know I am slower than most in the darkroom.
    "I don't like lizards", Frank Reynolds.

"At one time there existed a race of people whose knowledge consisted entirely of gossip", George Carlin.

4800 dpi are you for real?

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Yep but, it does take a LONG time :mad2: A 35mm neg, at 4800dpi, takes about 3.5 minutes a frame. I just scanned these at 1200dpi which was more than enough resolution and that was still about 2 minutes a frame.

And thanks to a few of you above, I laid in bed last night thinking about the fun I could have with a 4x5 field camera
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

And thanks to a few of you above, I laid in bed last night thinking about the fun I could have with a 4x5 field camera
    Just doing our job...

A friend of mine has a 4x5, 8x10, 4x10 and 8x20 and recently mentioned selling some of them. Odds are if he kept anything it would be the 4x5 but... no, no, no - must resist!

I just keeping thinking about all those Speed Graflex or old 4x5 field cameras that sell for like $200 on Ebay left and right. Oh god, what kind of vicious cycle have I started myself on?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Wink Re: Size does matter!

I just keeping thinking about all those Speed Graflex or old 4x5 field cameras that sell for like $200 on Ebay left and right. Oh god, what kind of vicious cycle have I started myself on?
    I can always show you what an 11 by 14 ground glass looks like!?! No I don't have any film holders nor have a camera for that ground glass, it is in a fixture I made to measure the image circle of some lenses, and I have a lens that will cover the glass even with movements. Now I have to mount it in a large barrel with an iris I purchased, but I still have to find a large parkard shutter for it as the ones I have are to small. Oh the joys of view cameras. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    I can always show you what an 11 by 14 ground glass looks like!?! ...
    Bring it on
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Yes it does. I use a Mamiya 645 for stuff I want to enlarge to minimum 11x14. My family portrait looks like you can step into the photgraph. It is very different than what you're used to if you still shoot 35mm.
    JUST TAKE THE DAMN PICTURE!

Thread Information