ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Signing Off

Signing Off

I'm sure you've all been wondering what's been going on and why I haven't been on the site much in the past couple of months. Well, today is my last day with Consumer Review and PhotographyREVIEW.com. No – this is not an April fool’s joke. Far from it. I've known this day was coming since the beginning of the year and as much as I love the site, I've needed to spend my time elsewhere. I'm sorry that I had to keep you in the dark. But now you know.

It's been a great fifteen years and I'm very proud of what we've done here on PhotographyREVIEW.com. Note that I said, “we.” Although I’ve done my best as Captain of the Ship, managing and leading the site, it’s the community on the forums and gallery that’s made the site special for me. Hopefully for you, too. Activity on the forums may have slowed, but this is one of the friendliest, most-welcoming and supportive Web communities I’ve ever seen. It’s something you should all be proud of. I’m very proud of it.

It's interesting to take a look back and see how things have changed since we launched the site in 1999. My main camera then was a Canon A2E 35mm film SLR, which I soon upgraded to an EOS 3 35mm SLR. I loved the EOS 3 and was sure I’d be using it for years. Boy was I wrong. Did camera technology progressed a lot faster than I expected. The first digital camera I bought was a Canon PowerShot G2 – a 3-megapixel compact with manual exposure controls and a flash hot shoe. But I kept my EOS 3 for serious photos. It wasn’t until Canon introduced the first EOS-1D that I was willing to invest in a digital SLR. The EOS-1D was a 4-megapixel crop-sensor camera with amazing speed and auto focus and it set me back over $5000. I kept my EOS 3 because I was sure I’d need it for really serious photos. But I never used it again.

Although camera technology is still moving quickly compared to the film era, I think we’re back to photography being photography. New cameras are cool but it’s the photo that matters. That’s one of the things I always tried to emphasize here. New equipment will never make you a better photographer. Learning to see, compose and be there with your camera is what really matters. Having a community of fellow photographers you trust and who understand the art of the critique helps a lot, too. Our Photo Critique forum is one of the things I’ve been most proud of. There aren’t very many places on the Web where you can get true, honest, constructive photography criticism.

Personally, being a part of PhotographyREVIEW.com has helped me grow as a photographer, a writer and a human being. I loved sharing my photos with you, watching new photographers learn and blossom, and being able to share in some of the important life events of our community members. I even got to meet a lot of you in person and have come to consider many of you true friends – even some of you who I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting in person.

Signing Off-norbutt_a018232.jpg

Although I’m sad to leave, I have few regrets. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the site, our wonderful community, the company founder, and my employer. I wouldn’t be the photographer or the man I am today without PhotographyREVIEW.com. I do wish I could have stayed and kept it going. But that wasn't my decision to make. And even though I probably won’t be here much anymore, I’m only a mouse-click away. You can follow me on my Photo-John Facebook Page, and I just launched my own Web site, Photo-John.net. I’ll see you all out there.

Humble and grateful.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Signing Off

Firstly,

Thanks John.

I think you're right. Photography is back to being photography. The Digital "buzz" is gone, it's now the norm, improvements are incremental, and most just don't care about the new technology just as long as they have a photo to post on FB or Instagram. The smartphone has become a photographic tool for the masses and the "serious" are few and far between. Photography is back to being photography.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

While I'm completely taken aback with this announcement John and not knowing the full story I'd still like to thank you for all you've done for me and many others. This site has been a source of learning and inspiration ever since I bought my first DSLR and I'm truly sorry to see you step down as you have, surely the odd contribution would still be in order.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

First off, best of luck in all your future endeavors! (I have liked your page on the faceboink). And secondly a humble thank you, this was the first photographic community I joined waaaay back when I got my first camera, and it was instantly welcoming, and like you I've grown through my interactions here.

All the best
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Sorry to see an end of a era, but to all good thing as the say. I've been here since nearly the beginning and have seen members come and go and have learned from many and have been able to help a few others. I credit Photography Review with rekindling my interest and passion in photography. I've been at this thing called photography for 45 years but am more involved and excited about it now than ever before, in large part because of PR. To my many PR friends thanks for being there and offering your insights on my images. I hope to continue my relationships with you in the internet photo world. Catch me on FB and other internet sights.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I'm glad to hear the site has been an inspiration to you and others. That makes me feel good. And yes, the odd contribution is in order - the odder the better ;-)

The main thing is I need to focus my efforts on stuff that will pay the bills. So that's the main reason I won't be hear as much - and the reason I haven't been here much for the past couple of months. But my heart is still here. In fact, this post is making me want to share some of the many, many photos I've taken over the past few months.
    Photo-John

Liz

John,

I'm really sorry to know that you won't be here anymore. PR has been my teacher from the day I first posted years ago - asking which p&s to purchase as a beginner. Everyone told me to get a dslr......and the rest is history as the saying goes!

I've enjoyed this site immensely, and am grateful for all I've learned and all the inspiration and encouragement that has sustained my photography life! I'm especially grateful to you personally. You have been a great inspiration to me all these years. You always worked hard to make this a "community" and not just a place to get information. You've brought us together as friends, and many of us have remained friends. You had the vision for PR, and you brought a lot of people along with you. This has been a place for friends to share photography.

I will really miss you! All of us will! It won't be the same around here without you (will there still be a PR?).

I hope you will continue to post if the site remains open. I think we would all like to know how - and what - you're doing.

God bless you.

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

My tenure of participation on this site doesn't go back as far as many others here, but I've been around for 5 years. When I decided to reignite my passion for photography, the community here became an important mentor for me, helping me in so many ways beyond just making a picture. PJ's leadership of this site kept it relevant for a long time, and created the structure necessary for it to truly become a community with a purpose.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Good luck to you John, I'm sure I'll see you around one way or another. Thanks for your contributions too.

Do you know what the future holds for this site?

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    Good luck to you John, I'm sure I'll see you around one way or another. Thanks for your contributions too.

Do you know what the future holds for this site?
    I do not know what the future holds for PhotographyREVIEW.com. I know they won't shut it down. But it will probably go on auto pilot - at least for a while. As far as I know, there are no plans to replace me right now.
    Photo-John

PJ, Good luck in the future! I do have a few questions. Are the moderators going to continue on with their jobs? Also if I am to continue on as super moderator I need to have a contact to get in touch with if I have a problem I can't handle. Any info would be helpful. Again, good luck in the future, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You are one amazing dude PJ. This forum (sports specifically) was my start in this enormous realm of photography.

I think we all knew something was up. Whatever you do, it will be great!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

I know I will miss you very much John, I know this is done with a heavy heart since this has been your baby for many years. I shall keep up with my moderator duties as long as the site lets me (I know it won't let me delete an ad posted in the pictures waiting for approval). It just says there is an error. I don't know if this has anything to do with the current situation of the site or not.
    I suspect we will just try to keep things going as long as it holds together. Thank you for all the years, the advice, the help plus the friendship you have given all of us John. I've made some great friends here and I'm sure we will continue our friendships elsewhere.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Well John, I suppose the biggest compliment I can give you is to say I've never felt our relationship was about this web site. Common ground to be sure, but I've always thought of you as a skillful photographer (and all around great guy!) FIRST who happened to be channeling his hard work and efforts into making this community the wonderful place that it's become. Suffice to say I'm one who welcomes change in life, and it will be fun staying friends and keeping up with you in your new adventures.

Now, that being said, I still find it amazing that some of my best friends are the early members of this site, many of whom I've only met once or twice or at most a few times. Some I have NEVER met in person, and yet the bonds that were formed from being part of this community have held strong over the years. And for that, of course, I have you to thank!

Good luck with this new chapter of your life. As much as I bad-mouth Facebook, it is situations like these where it shines and proves its worth. It's nice to know I can still keep up with you there and more importantly, continue to share our love for photography and visual art through the exciting events and projects we will both work on.

See ya in the funny papers!
    -Steve
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Oh dear. Sorry to see you go. I always valued your judgement in how to deal with people and the tone to adopt. The place won't be the same without you.

Charles
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

John
    you'll be missed, I wish you great success in whatever you'll do next

I joined here in 2009 (5 yrs ago ! wow) and learned quite a lot due to the interaction with many members of this great community

auto pilot can only do so much, if no one is on the helm it will eventually crash

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Whoa, I've been crazy busy and didn't see this until today. Very sorry to see you go! PhotographyReview has been so much to me over the years; not only am I a better photographer for it, I've grown a lot of friendships through the site, especially with you. All good things must move on, though, and I hope that your new opportunities keep taking you on great paths.
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

Adieu, Captain. I got started here around 2000, and like many, it was the start of something new and important to me. I am away for long periods of time now, but come back from time to time and am amazed at how may of the names I recognize are still here. This site has a uniquely warm culture and you made it that way by your example.

Thanks!

Ride on my friend! We'll ride and shoot sometime this summer.

MBB

GB1

PJ, I just heard this from Armando, who I met up with in San Diego (he's visiting with his family).

Thanks for the memories, and good luck wherever you land. Although the site's been quieter the last year, I have fond memories of the incredible folks I've met here who have inspired me to improve my photography. No other site on the Internet has ever came close IMHO, so I completely agree that all of us have a lot to be proud of and happy about. This site's always been about honest feedback, and helping others. I hope it stays that way (and stays up too, of course).

I imagine you will keep your user account, so hope you come back for visits when you feel the time's right.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information