ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Shooting weddings is fun

especially when you are there as a guest and not getting paid ;o) Reading online about all the struggles that wedding photographers go through I sympathize with them. Its funny how often I find myself watching and critiquing (like I'm some kind of pro wedding photog hah ) them instead of watching the ceremony doh. One thing I had forgotten though is how much fun a wedding can be as a guest.

This last weekend was the first wedding I have gone to this year and both bride and groom were good friends of mine and we share many mutual friends so I had an absolute blast. I brought along my new little birthday present, a Canon Elph and did some snapshotting more than anything, funny how the number of blurry photos seemed to go up in number as the night went on

Here are four that I liked. One of them is fiddled with in photoshop just for the fun of it. I thought it looked kinda neat with a filter thrown in. Whatya think? I'm sure they'll have oodles of good photos from the pro they had on hand but I think I'll make them some prints too just for fun.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by berrywise; 06-22-2004 at 06:23 AM.

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Thanks for the kind words Penny

Its always been in the back of my head to try and shoot at least one wedding in my lifetime. I think what would be fun for now would to be an assistant on a wedding. I've always enjoyed the photojournalistic style of photography and that suits me well. I think the hardest part must be doing the posing for group shots etc. Maybe a few books on that and a little practise and I could be on my way.

I still have three or four more friends who are getting married this year so maybe I'll approach them about doing some shots of them while they get ready for the ceremony since I know most of them probably couldn't afford to have a photographer follow them throughout the day.

Ahh ya got me thinking now

thanks again for commenting,
    scott

You've Got It

Quote Originally Posted by berrywise
    Its always been in the back of my head to try and shoot at least one wedding in my lifetime. I think what would be fun for now would to be an assistant on a wedding. I've always enjoyed the photojournalistic style of photography and that suits me well. I think the hardest part must be doing the posing for group shots etc. Maybe a few books on that and a little practise and I could be on my way.

I still have three or four more friends who are getting married this year so maybe I'll approach them about doing some shots of them while they get ready for the ceremony since I know most of them probably couldn't afford to have a photographer follow them throughout the day.

Ahh ya got me thinking now

thanks again for commenting,
    scott

Ask your friends if you can shoot their weddings for practice. If they have a pro, just go with the flow and stay out of his/her way. I did this for a co-worker and her mom got mad - that my shots were better than the pro's! Ooops. ;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

very nice,

I'm going to two of my friends wedding this august on Long Island. Should be fun to get some more candid shots. If I get one half as nice as these I'll be very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by berrywise
    Nice shots - and that sounds like a good idea about doing photojournalistic shots of the preparations. Even if you're shooting at the same time as the other person they hire, the two of you won't see the same things. One photographer can't be in 10 places at once - although you try! The shot of the bride next to the church - she's probably looking at the hired photographer, but your shot works very well too. It has a different feel to it than the other one will.

That type of shooting is what interests me too - I shot a wedding earlier this year and the part that was a pain for me was the posed shots at the altar. Fortunately (for me) we only were supposed to have 1/2 hour but since the service ran 15 minutes long, we only had 15 minutes left!

Thread Information