Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

shooting at an indor concert

I am going to a concert in mid July and would love to try to take some pictures. I have taken some pictures of bands indoor before, but they were local shows and were friends so I could get as close as I wanted. At this concert I will be back in the 13th row and would like to just try to get pictures, just experiment a little bit. Assume all of my options are open, what would the best way to go about shooting at an indoor concert? I am thinking of buying a new lens in the near future, so if a certain lens would be a good solution then which? Ok then I have to add into this that I hate grainy film, like I use 200 on a day-to-day basis because I hate having grainy pictures. I like crisp, sharp ones So what would be the best solution(s) to my issue? Again assuming all options are open. Thanks.

Sounds like a pretty big show, which means that you'll probably have a decent amount of light to work with. In my experience, that means about f2.8 around 1/125 or so - but this is at ISO800! 200 isn't going to do much good. Get a fast prime like a 50 or 85 f1.8 which is easier to handhold than a zoom, and a couple (or a few) stops faster too.

I don't shoot enough color neg film to make a recommendation, but for B&W I've found that Kodak T-Max 3200 exposed at 1600 has a good look to it, although grainy which sometimes works. I have tried Kodak Supra 800 (color neg) that worked pretty well but there are others too.

Are you sure you can bring a camera in? I know everybody does it (and calls attention to themselves with the flash that does no good) but an SLR is pretty hard to hide.

Just a couple of things you may already know...

First I would check and see if they allow cameras. I have taken mine before only to be told you can't go in with a camera.

Remember the more you zoom the less light you have to work with.

Try and take pictures when the lights are turned up on stage and not when the singer is in the spotlight.

I have a Vivitar 285 flash. It is fairly strong and if you plan on doing much picture taking inside at a distance you might want to check one out.
    ASA 200 at F2 range is 85 ft
    ASA 200 at F2.8 range is 60 ft
    ASA 200 at F4 range is around 45ft

If you step it up to ASA 400
    F 2 range is well past 85ft
    F 2.8 range is 85 ft
    F 4 range is 60 ft

The 285 will also allow you to adjust the flash for Wide, normal, or telephoto lens.
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

13th row is lucky for some

Quote Originally Posted by laurafee
    I am going to a concert in mid July and would love to try to take some pictures. I have taken some pictures of bands indoor before, but they were local shows and were friends so I could get as close as I wanted. At this concert I will be back in the 13th row and would like to just try to get pictures, just experiment a little bit. Assume all of my options are open, what would the best way to go about shooting at an indoor concert? I am thinking of buying a new lens in the near future, so if a certain lens would be a good solution then which? Ok then I have to add into this that I hate grainy film, like I use 200 on a day-to-day basis because I hate having grainy pictures. I like crisp, sharp ones So what would be the best solution(s) to my issue? Again assuming all options are open. Thanks.
    Being on the 13th row is a disaster for taking pictures.

If you use 200 ISO film you are obliged to use a flash. You will find that your flash will illuminate the 12 rows of heads and arms waving in the air in front of you and will not be powerful enough to illuminate the stage. Forget that idea.

You must use at least a 1600 ISO film and no flash (I find Sensia 1600 quite suited to concerts). Preferably you will use a 80-200 or 200mm f2.8 lens wide open which should allow you to use a shutter speed of 1/200 and freeze the action while picking out some detail on the stage. However these lenses are big heavy and expensive and I don't think you're going to be allowed to take a camera in anyway.

Sorry to bring you the bad news. Have fun at the concert.

Charles

Reply to another view, Grandpaw and Franglais..

First, yes I can take a camera, I already double checked that one as soon as I bought the tickets

I know 13th row will be a disaster, but I bought isle seats, so I am holding my shread of hope for decent pictures. It's also a theatre so it's not your typical concert situation.

I suppose I can buy some faster film, despite my hatrid of grain. And I am not worried about big expensive lenses, the one I use most frequently is 100mm macro lens. I am intending on buying a new lens this summer, so a nice zoom would be fun.

I am not too worried about it just being the singer in the spotlight type thing. I will admit, I am going to a Hanson concert, and I have some of their concerts on DVDs and the stage is usually fairly well and evenly lit.

We'll see about getting a flash.. I don't have much experience with them, so maybe I'll get one and experiment first, then take it places

Overall, thank you three very much for your input.. It was some very helpful insight for me!!!

One more thing!!!

If you have a MANUAL light meter on your camera and NOT an AUTO light meter you may not have a big problem. If the light stays fairly consistent and you have a manual metering system all you need to do is walk up near the stage and set your F-Stop once and then return to your seat and take pictures. You won't be able to take a shot all the time but if you pick your times and shoot when the lighting is the same as when you took the reading, being 13 rows back will not matter. On the other hand if your camera only has an auto light meter that's another story all together. I have a Nikon F with and FTN meter on it and have had great results by getting a light reading at the stage one time for all my shots. Of course you are limited and have to wait until the lighting is the same as when you took the reading but you can still get a lot of pictures if you do it right. I have been doing it this way for about 35 years and have had very good results. Hope this may help. Also usually near the end of the shows I have gone to they turn up the lights and bring everyone out one last time and this is a good opportunity for pictures also.

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Awesome!! Thanks a bunch for the tip! I DO have the option to make the light meter manual as well as auto, so it sounds like I am in good shape!! Thank you very much! This should be a fun experience

Hey, Luarafee, have you ever

seen a picture of the moon taken at night? This concert is basicly the same situation. It doesn't mater if you are in the dark or around your subject is dark as long as what you want to take a picture of is well lighted and you set your camera to the right setting. I have taken many pictures of fireworks late at night such as at Disney World and they come out great. All you need is the subject lit up properly and your camera set right. It's not any more complicated than that. Sometimes we make things out to be harder than they really need to be.

Thread Information