ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Rangefinders

TJM
    Great Sage Equal of Heaven

Rangefinders

Hi everyone im looking for a cheap 2nd hand rangefinder. I just want something small and simple with manual controls preferably well built. I found a Canonet QL 19 in good condition for $75 AUD (probably about $60-something US), is that a good deal? What would you reccomend? I want this so I can shove it in my pocket places I would be too scared/unable to take my 10D, or for when I want to use film.

Toby M

A good camera

Quote Originally Posted by TJM
    Hi everyone im looking for a cheap 2nd hand rangefinder. I just want something small and simple with manual controls preferably well built. I found a Canonet QL 19 in good condition for $75 AUD (probably about $60-something US), is that a good deal? What would you reccomend? I want this so I can shove it in my pocket places I would be too scared/unable to take my 10D, or for when I want to use film.

Toby M
    I think that that is a fair price, but make sure the seals are in okay condition. It's a great little camera and performs well.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

TJM
    Great Sage Equal of Heaven
    Thanks for your reply Loren. Sadly the camera i listed was sold last night (typical...) so that ideas kind of gone. Any ideas on a reasonably common alternative?

Cheap RF's

Hi, I shoot primarily with rangefinders & until I could afford my new Konica Hexar, I was using either a Minolta Hi-Matic 7sII or a Canonet G-III QL 17. The Canonet is a great camera, meter is accurate, lens is sharp and it is quiet. I find these little cameras all over the place at antique shops or thrift stores. Often the door foam is a little sticky & coming off, but that is replaced easily. Just test the shutter at all the speeds & go. check out steve gandy's site at cameraquest.com, it's loaded full of good infor on these cameras.
    Phil

The Canonet's can't be beat for the money. They appear on ebay all the time for $25-75 for a mint one. I would go for the QL17 GIII. It has automatic metering or totally manual overide, which I prefer for the "rangefinder" experience. As mentioned they usually have sticky light seals (on the rear cover) which can easily be replaced. I replaced mine in addition to cleaning the viewfinder which was easy once I took off the top cover. They use the banned mercury 625 batteries which can be picked up on the internet. As previously suggested www.cameraquest.com is an excellent source for info on rangefinder cameras in addition to classic SLR cameras. Also try Karens rangefinder site which is also a good source. The main thing these cameras are cheap and you don't have to worry if something happens. Just pick up another and have fun

Thread Information