ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: 50mm f/1.8

50mm f/1.8

Well hello again guys. I'm about ready to finally get my 70-200mm f/4 L lens...about time. I'm going to order from Canoga Camera again since I had such a great experience with them when I ordered my DRebel. They're selling the 50mm f/1.8 for $70. I just want to know if it's worth it. I know it's plastic, but I really don't care about that. It seems like a good deal for the money. Does anyone out there have it? If so, would you recommend it? Thanks.
    --Tubaman
    KEEP SHOOTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar
    Yeah - it's worth it - take a look at the poker pics in this forum. I just got my 50 1.8 today - got it from B&H for $69 or something like that. It's a blast - sharp as a tack and great bokeh.
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Frequent Lurker
    It is without a doubt, the best value in the Canon lineup. I have it for the purpose of having a fast lense for indoor use.

Buy it!

I have both that you mentioned, and love them both. The 50mm is what's on my camera 95% of the time, and the 70-200 is what I use for dance stuff. No need for anything else (which my husband appreciates).

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Liz

Question Tubaman & Adina

Tubaman - go for it. The 50mm/f1.8 is an excellent lens - and it's great to have an all around lens with a 1.8 aperture for those low light/evening/dusk/night shots! It comes in handy as a walk around lens too. Very light. Sometimes light is good!

Adina - about the 70-200mm lens
    I just sold my Canon 200mm/f2.8 thinking of getting the above lens. However, I'm hesitating because of the f4. I like to handhold my lenses so I don't have to lug around a tripod. I can live with the fact that I can't do inside handheld. However, I'm wondering how the 70-200 does without a tripod. I imagine you use a tripod for your excellent/sharp dance photos. Do you ever use this lens handheld? How does it do? I also don't like the white lenses. Well, ya can't have everything, right? Thanks for any input you can give me. It's such a great price for an L lens. But not worth it if it doesn't work for me!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Tubaman - go for it. The 50mm/f1.8 is an excellent lens - and it's great to have an all around lens with a 1.8 aperture for those low light/evening/dusk/night shots! It comes in handy as a walk around lens too. Very light. Sometimes light is good!

I just sold my Canon 200mm/f2.8 thinking of getting the above lens. However, I'm hesitating because of the f4. I like to handhold my lenses so I don't have to lug around a tripod. I can live with the fact that I can't do inside handheld. However, I'm wondering how the 70-200 does without a tripod. I imagine you use a tripod for your excellent/sharp dance photos. Do you ever use this lens handheld? How does it do? I also don't like the white lenses. Well, ya can't have everything, right? Thanks for any input you can give me. It's such a great price for an L lens. But not worth it if it doesn't work for me!

Liz

I've got the 70-200 F/4.0 for my DRebel and handheld outdoors is usually no problem. I usually shoot at ISO100 in aperture priority at f/4.0 If that's too slow I'll simply kick the ISO to 200 or in the worst of situations - 400.

Great value...

www.moquet.net

Liz
    Before I went digital, the 70-200 was what was on my camera most of the time. Handheld, tripod, balanced on a rock, you name it, it did it.

I do use the tripod for the dance stuff, and on the 10d, it was too heavy for me to handhold anywhere but outdoors. I'm not sure how much heavier the 10d is than the rebel. But with the ease of changing iso's, you shouldn't have a problem.

adina

Liz

Smile Equivokal & Adina......thanks

I appreciate the input from your personal experiences. I still have to "think" it over. Because it's a bit heavy, and my slight camera shake......and the fact that it's "white"
    I haven't made a final decision.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Before I went digital, the 70-200 was what was on my camera most of the time. Handheld, tripod, balanced on a rock, you name it, it did it.

I do use the tripod for the dance stuff, and on the 10d, it was too heavy for me to handhold anywhere but outdoors. I'm not sure how much heavier the 10d is than the rebel. But with the ease of changing iso's, you shouldn't have a problem.

adina

......and the fact that it's "white"
    Liz
    Krylon! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Krylon! ;)
    Isn't the rebel silver? They'd kinda match

Cool Thanks everyone

Yeah, the Rebel is silver...although I'd prefer it to be black. lol. I've decided to go ahead and get them both, the 70-200 f/4 L and the 50mm f/1.8. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice.
    God bless
    --Tubaman
    KEEP SHOOTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information