Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

50mm 1.8 VS 35mm 2.0

I was just interested in which lens would stay on your F100 for street photography. I love my 85mm1.8 because of being able to not get to close to your subject, however I find it more now at least in Los Angeles you really have to be careful of your surroundings with any gear that looks expensive. How do you stay in low profile on the streets? I have had many people on the streets say to me that camera looks like alot of money. I even feel uneasy with my 28-105mm most of the times on the street. Maybe it's just me!

35mm on a N75

Quote Originally Posted by wslandry3
    I was just interested in which lens would stay on your F100 for street photography. I love my 85mm1.8 because of being able to not get to close to your subject, however I find it more now at least in Los Angeles you really have to be careful of your surroundings with any gear that looks expensive. How do you stay in low profile on the streets? I have had many people on the streets say to me that camera looks like alot of money. I even feel uneasy with my 28-105mm most of the times on the street. Maybe it's just me!
    I have the 50mm f1.8 and the 35mm f2. I find the natural distance for the 50mm is about 10ft which is okay when crowd density is fairly low but most of the time I use the 35mm at about 5-6 feet. Obviously at this distance I'm really in the middle of the action and no way am I going to take the F100 anywhere risky. I also have a N75 which works mostly the same way as the F100 (pity about the viewfinder) and which is so inexpensive that basically I'm not worried.

Charles

Thread Information