ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    learning member

Re: sad news and some thoughts...

Nat I know its a very, very tough loss. My heart goes out to you.
    You were right not to take pictures, and you would have been right if you had taken them.
    You are an exellent photographer with Impeccable moral.
    The photo you have posted is beautifull. Thanks for sharing it.
    The description you have shared is vivid and is yours forever.
    My mother passed suddenly in 1999. It may sound strange, but I feel her presence
    In my life every day. It's a feeling of comfort to me.
    I hope that you can have the same expirience, that she is always near.
    Mark.

mdmc, ronnoco,Max P D, speed, tink

Thanks for your support...

tink- two of the images that I still wish I had taken are of my mothers hands(beyond me why it's so important for me to rememebr that right now because for the life of me I can't remeber what they look like) and of the cross she always wore ---against the hospital gown... those are the only two details...

Again thanks to everyone who responded to this post...I appreciate your support thru the highs and lows.... take care

nat xoxox
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Natalie, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Even if you don't have the photographs, you do have the memories. It's hard to know if you should or shouldn't bring out a camera in a family situation like this. I'm sure someone will always be opposed to it, but like Steve says if your intentions are pure...

Photojournalists document situations every day, but obviously the emotional involvement may be different. I saw an amazing documentary on (where else) the Documentary Channel on satellite TV about war photographer James Natchwey. If you get a chance to see this I'd highly recommend it.

My condolences, I lost my father to cancer so I know how painfull it can be.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Natalie, my sincerest condolences on your loss.

I, too, understand your desire to have taken the images. But you did a wonderful job on the tinting. She was beautiful indeed!!
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Nat - my condolences. I lost my mom on 8-31 after a 2+ year battle with pancreatic cancer. She was diagnosed just after moving to WA to live near me. Going through this with her was bittersweet and I think I can relate to what you went through on many levels. I think that photographing the end of life is a personal decision.

Nat,
    Im so very sorry for your loss. My love to your family to stay strong and support each other.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    After a very painful and aggressive attack on her body by cancer--- my mom passed away two days ago. She was experiencing difficulties from a "mass" near one of her kidneys....
    6 weeks followed and they finally diagnosed it as pancreatic cancer and three weeks later she passed. It has been a whirlwind of emotions for my family...

I went to care for her two weeks ago not knowing that I was going home to watch my mother die. It was healing to watch the progression of her life come to an end and often wished I could have taken pictures...

My sister was opposed because she felt that we should rememebr my mom as she was.
    I guess that leads me to the question of whether it's reasonable for me to feel---that we document the joyful things and we documents moments in time but we leave so much of the non fluffy bad times out...

I didn't take pics to respect my sisters wishes but I still regret it---I really would have liked to have a complete documentation of my mom's life...the highs to the lows.

There was one day in particular that I have embedded in my mind...the sun was rising and the sky was a wash of reds and oranges with hints of purples and blues....you could barely make out the tops of the trees and see the expanse of land ahead all washed in warm tones....I cranked my mom's bed up so it was up above the sight line of the window(so picture a bed at about head height---she laughed really softly and told me I was nuts in spanish) I didi it so she could see...as the sun rose the room was completely engulfed in this orange/pinkish glow and as it rose into the sky the finest line of light outlined my mother's profile perfectly. Even though her features were gaunt and she looked nothing like the woman I knew...she was so beautiful and the image was so breathtaking that I remember it was one of the few moments that I was really at peace with everything that was happening. It was like watching a new day rising on the chapter of an old life.

How do you guys feel about photographying tragedy and loss....as it happens and unfolds. I know journalists are paid to do this ---but us "common folk" live under a different set of ethics---i feel it's almost considered taboo and inappropriate...what's your take....

this is my favorite picture of my mom...I hand tinted(computer aided) it so we can have it enlarged to canvas for the service.....

Thnaks for listening...if this is better suited for the off topic please move it along---I posted it here because of the second part of the topic....take care. live for today and live it well.

hugs to all of you
    natalie

steve, dbutler, ladybugamanda, freygr, villena,

Thanks guys and gals.... for the support and my condolances in turn in your losses. good to have peopel that can relate to your circumstances...and have good advice...take care
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information