ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

Question OT - contacting Verizon for DSL?

Hello everyone -

I set aside time this morning to order Verizon DSL and needed some questions answered. The line has been busy perpetually and their website doesn't answer questions for 24 hours. Is this the kind of service Verizon is giving for DSL? Can anyone here that has DSL help out?

BTW, I don't want Cable for multiple reasons - one big reason - because it can't be accessed outside the house without another service from either AT&T or Verizon.

So - here are my questions.

How many screen names does Verizon give (not Business account). It sounds like you only get one, but I didn't think this is accurate.

How do you access it using your laptop while traveling?

Does it use a phone line specifically for the DSL?

Any other info would be helpful. I'm about ready to find another way to go online. This is totally frustrating. Sorry if I sound annoyed. I am. I've had enough problems with aol.

Thanks for any help.

Liz
    Last edited by Liz; 10-07-2004 at 07:51 AM. Reason: problem with posting

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Veriozon? Try...

Sorry to hear about yoour internet woes Liz.
    I recently went to DSL myself, Mindspring. So I can answer a few of your questions.

DSL, uses the same phone line your phone uses. Basically, the signal that DSL uses is either higher or lower in frequency than the phone. You hook up the DSL modem to your computer's Network Interface Card, which kind of looks like the modem plug, it is just a little bigger. You also hook up the DSL modem to the phone line.
    I like Mindspring, so I would recommend them!
    I get 10000 kbs, that's 10 MB!

Hope this helps!

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: OT - contacting Verizon for DSL?

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Hello everyone -

I set aside time this morning to order Verizon DSL and needed some questions answered. The line has been busy perpetually and their website doesn't answer questions for 24 hours. Is this the kind of service Verizon is giving for DSL? Can anyone here that has DSL help out?

BTW, I don't want Cable for multiple reasons - one big reason - because it can't be accessed outside the house without another service from either AT&T or Verizon.

So - here are my questions.

How many screen names does Verizon give (not Business account). It sounds like you only get one, but I didn't think this is accurate.

How do you access it using your laptop while traveling?

Does it use a phone line specifically for the DSL?

Any other info would be helpful. I'm about ready to find another way to go online. This is totally frustrating. Sorry if I sound annoyed. I am. I've had enough problems with aol.

Thanks for any help.

Liz
    The good news is that Verizon usually has excellent service. The bad news is that they are terrible when a problem does occur.

I used Earthlink as a DSL provider but I assume they are all competitive. Here's the way it worked for them:

1. I could use up to 10 names at any one time. I never used more than one so I can't help you with this.

2. Away from home, access was via dial-up. DSL got 20 hours/month free dial up while cable got unlimited dialup (cable fails a lot more often).

3. The phone line you have handles voice and data at the same time. The DSL modem hooks directly into the phone jack. Everything else gets hooked in with a DSL filter attached (they supply these). One phone line does everything.

Hope this helps a bit.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Liz

Talking The order is placed!

Thanks Michael and Brian -

I'm happy you gave me this information as it helped me to keep hanging in there until I got Verizon. I ended up calling Verizon (landline) and they were able to answer my questions and place the order.

She (verizon staff) said there are 10 screen names for Verizon and 10 for MSN that's included. It's $29.99 a month unlimited use. I assumed this included the dial up - but didn't think to ask. It doesn't matter as I won't use the dial up often. They told me it would ship to be here by Oct 15th - but I just got an email that it already shipped, but to wait until they notify me that I can install the software. I have a friend coming here to do this as I'm really "dumb" when it comes to things like this. I won't cancel aol until I have the software in hand and the aol software deleted.

I'm really happy that I finally made the break from aol. I have had so many problems that I don't know why I hung in there so long, except that I didn't want to start all over again with a new email address, especially for the Residence for homeless women. It got to the point that the extra work is worth it.

Thanks again - you affirmed my decision!

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: The order is placed!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz

I'm really happy that I finally made the break from aol. I have had so many problems that I don't know why I hung in there so long, except that I didn't want to start all over again with a new email address, especially for the Residence for homeless women. It got to the point that the extra work is worth it.:
    I have had the same email address for about 10 years while switching ISP providers too many times to count. How? I use an email "front end."

I have an account with www.netaddress.com. This account has POP and SMTP with it. The mail gets sent to this address and my email client (Outlook), regardless of ISP, picks up and sends email with my one netaddress email address. I don't use the email addresses provided by the ISP.

This is also an advantage as I can pick up my mail using any web browser when I'm not on my home computer.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Liz

Question Question for Michael......

Michael,

I have a question about keeping my same email address. One problem I had recently with aol included an email problem. The subject in an email included my name. The next day I got an email with my street address in the subject. I don't open emails that I don't know who they are from. Then a few days later, I got a notice that the "email you just sent was undeliverable due to a fatal error." I had not sent any emails out. I called aol and told them about the above 3 situations. They switched me to "fraud" and I was eventually told that it was possible someone had hacked into my account. They changed the password for all my screen names on the spot after asking me if I gave my password out, etc.

So, if someone did hack into my account, would it be better just to let go of my previous screen names? Otherwise the same people are going to know my new email address, right? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks - I know this may be a stupid question, but I want no problems with the new account - just want to begin again. Good-bye aol and all attachments!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    I have had the same email address for about 10 years while switching ISP providers too many times to count. How? I use an email "front end."

I have an account with www.netaddress.com. This account has POP and SMTP with it. The mail gets sent to this address and my email client (Outlook), regardless of ISP, picks up and sends email with my one netaddress email address. I don't use the email addresses provided by the ISP.

This is also an advantage as I can pick up my mail using any web browser when I'm not on my home computer.

Thread Information