ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Look this good in 700 years will you?Hmm?

I think that's how that quote goes, anyway Gee thanks Speed I think I'm pretty smart sometimes - usually while walking down the street thinking how smart I am and walking right out in front of a car Or something humbling like that.

I love that fact about the moon falling toward the Earth, but never landing... it's romantic in some basic physical way. Kinda like lovers chasing each other but never having... I dunno, I'll leave that up to Byron.

Thanks for confirming that fact for me. I heard it my astronomy college class but it's been a few years so I wasn't sure. Now I can continue to woo my lovers with stories of the moon's perpetual fall to earth while viewing the Orionids next month

I owe ya one!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Talking Re: Look this good in 700 years will you?Hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I think that's how that quote goes, anyway Gee thanks Speed I think I'm pretty smart sometimes - usually while walking down the street thinking how smart I am and walking right out in front of a car Or something humbling like that.

I love that fact about the moon falling toward the Earth, but never landing... it's romantic in some basic physical way. Kinda like lovers chasing each other but never having... I dunno, I'll leave that up to Byron.

Thanks for confirming that fact for me. I heard it my astronomy college class but it's been a few years so I wasn't sure. Now I can continue to woo my lovers with stories of the moon's perpetual fall to earth while viewing the Orionids next month

I owe ya one!

Rick
    I do believe the actual quote was "When 900 years old, look this good you will not?"

But I knew exactly what you were saying! Yoda is very wise.

Happy to reinforce just how intelligent you are! If anyone ever asks, just have them contact me or Nat or one of your other PR friends. We'll set them straight!

"Now I can continue to woo my lovers with stories of the moon's perpetual fall to earth while viewing the Orionids next month "

And we shall live vicariously through you, wishing we were that smooth...

;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Thanks For The Details

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    This past full moon (28 Oct) was the Harvest Moon.
    Speed, where are you that you've already experienced all of October already??
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Oh, yes,

I'm sure that you guys would be fair...

complete with total embarrassment and pictures of my butt

Say Speedo, have you tried to photograph a meteor shower yet? I hear its pretty hard, what with reciprocity failure being so immentent and all. I haven't really taken in a meteor shower since the last time the Leonids were huge. I'm hoping for clear skies later this month though

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Question Kelly, What Can I Say?

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Speed, where are you that you've already experienced all of October already??
    But Oooops! :-(

Of course I meant September!

;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Have you tried to photograph a meteor shower yet?

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I'm sure that you guys would be fair...

complete with total embarrassment and pictures of my butt

Say Speedo, have you tried to photograph a meteor shower yet? I hear its pretty hard, what with reciprocity failure being so immentent and all. I haven't really taken in a meteor shower since the last time the Leonids were huge. I'm hoping for clear skies later this month though

Rick
    Yes, I shot the Leonids in 2002, and the Persieds this year. The Persieds were mostly dim meteors, with typical shower rates (approx. 60/hr).

The key to getting around reciprocity failure is to use slide film. Provia is the standard astrophotography film, though I've read that Sensia does well too. Astia is supposed to be a good astro film as well.

You will probably want to shoot several short exposures rather than one or two long ones. The longer exposures will have star trails unless you're guiding the camera (such as on a telescope).

BTW, a standard 50mm lens works pretty good for meteor showers, though there's nothing wrong with a wide angle either. I used both for the Persieds.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Hey Speed-man

Do you have any examples of what you got? Sounds like you were going for the "stable-stars with meterites streaking" look? I'd probabely let my camera run for an hour and see what I got - star trails and all.

Could you post an example of what you got? I'm curious to see what's possible. What aperature and film speed do you need to have them show up at all?

Thanks man! Looking forward to all the meteor showers this season.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information