ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Portrait Secret?

Just finished watching this amazing National Geographic video about Leonardo da Vinci.

Link to video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSsGRfCqN2s

One thing that caught my attention was the presenter talking about famous portraits and one thing they had in common. The centerline of the photo runs through an eye ball. I checked out a few and most actually do follow this. i'm not much of a portrait photographer but I thought some of you might find this interesting. Also, maybe this is general knowledge now but I really haven't heard of it.

Here are a few famous portraits that i downloaded and added a centerline to: (note these aren't the examples they give. I just searched for famous portraits, watch the video!)

Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Re: Portrait Secret?

Interesting, now I get to look at portraits differently - so much for the rule of thirds, unless this "centre" thing "has something to do with the "golden mean". Maybe we nature and wildlife people need to think about where to place the emphasis in our photos.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
    Never memorize something you can look up. - Albert Einstein

Seems their heads are all turned about the same angle too.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Very interesting! Now I'll be looking at every portraiture I come across to see how often it occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by WesternGuy View Post
    ...Maybe we nature and wildlife people need to think about where to place the emphasis in our photos...
    Something tells me that this "formula" works with vertically-oriented animals. I wonder if a horizontal line works with horizontally-oriented animals? I'll have to play around with some of my animal images to see if either can work for animals.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thanks, that was an interesting video, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As an ordinary person, you surely know when to work hard. Great job with the research, I know photography requires precision and I hope you will find time to visit websites like http://www.photographytips.com/ for greater knowledge and http://www.inkjetsuperstore.com/brot...dge-compatible to enhance the results that you make.

WOah whats up with all the spam?! I don't even understand why they do messages like this one!? I think they only want to be a nuisance!

Cool post! Very interesting.

Thread Information