Quote Originally Posted by brmill26
Michael, whether we like it or not the fact is that marriages are licensed by the state, exactly the same as drivers. Marriage is a privilege as is driving. All states in the Union are set up that way. As long as that is the case, government may limit who has the right to marry (within limits).
Just because that's the way it is doesn't mean that it should stay that way. No, marriage is NOT a privilege: no contract law would ever support that. As for regulations, first remember that is wasn't so long ago in the US that people could get married at 12 and 13 years old. However, contract law covers that as well, minors can not enter into binding legal agreements.

Government only has the rights we grant it. Nothing says those rights are granted forever. But who knows, with marriage dropping in popularity maybe the entire point will resolve itself without our help.

Oh yeah, just something to think about: "I refuse to photograph any non-white weddings because minorities shouldn't be getting married in the first place." How would that Aryan Nation or KKK opinion square with the rights of photographers? It is easy to claim that we are all way too PC but I don't think the line is as clearly drawn as many want to think. FWIW, off the top of my head, in a free society I think we have to allow that type of mindless business decision. But I'm subject to change...