ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Photo Chemistry

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Question Photo Chemistry

I'm in the process of starting up a home darkroom, for doing b/w neg. film for starters. I have been looking at chemistry for developing film and paper, but there are so many brands and types that I don't know where to start. Any recomendations? Is one brand better than the other? What have you used and what did you like or dislike about it?

Michael
    Last edited by mjs1973; 10-15-2004 at 05:23 AM.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Photo Chemistry

My suggestion is to keep it simple using time tested, easy to use and easily aquirable materials and to stay consistent. By that I mean once you decide on a film and developer stay with it so you get to learn that combo. Any problems that arise are easier to solve because there will be less variables. You didn't mention which camera or preferences but I would recommend Kodak's Tri-X because it is time tested, easy to get, and has good latitude in exposure. You can make minor mistakes in developing and still get printable negatives. I would recommend Kodak's D-76 developer. It is also time proven and gives a good balance between achieving sharpness and minimal grain. It is also versatile and can be used to push the ISO from 400 to around 1200. Fixer isn't as critical but would probably stick with a Kodak product to start. A water wash is fine for stopping development

Once you feel comfortable then you could branch out trying another film like Delta 100 or 400 and use the D-76 or stick with the Tri-X and try another developer. Again consistency is very important because you will have problems especially in the beginning and you need to figure out what went wrong..

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Photo Chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Widen
    My suggestion is to keep it simple using time tested, easy to use and easily aquirable materials and to stay consistent. By that I mean once you decide on a film and developer stay with it so you get to learn that combo. Any problems that arise are easier to solve because there will be less variables. You didn't mention which camera or preferences but I would recommend Kodak's Tri-X because it is time tested, easy to get, and has good latitude in exposure. You can make minor mistakes in developing and still get printable negatives. I would recommend Kodak's D-76 developer. It is also time proven and gives a good balance between achieving sharpness and minimal grain. It is also versatile and can be used to push the ISO from 400 to around 1200. Fixer isn't as critical but would probably stick with a Kodak product to start. A water wash is fine for stopping development

Once you feel comfortable then you could branch out trying another film like Delta 100 or 400 and use the D-76 or stick with the Tri-X and try another developer. Again consistency is very important because you will have problems especially in the beginning and you need to figure out what went wrong..

Thanks for the inf o Gerry. I have been using Tri-X, as well as T-Max. We have been using the D-76 at the lab at school as well so I am familiar with these to some extent. I'm all for keeping it simple! Thanks for the advice.

Michael
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I second Gerry

I use Tri-X and develop in D-76. For a little more punch in your negs, set the ASA at 320 instead of 400 and overdevelop by 30 seconds. I develop my Holga film at 68 degrees for 8 minutes, 45 seconds.

I've been using the liquid fix. I'ts buck or two more than the powdered fix, but easier to deal with - and you don't get that fix slick in the back of your throat.

Have fun!

Megan

Thread Information