ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: One BIG Gripe

One BIG Gripe

I've got one big gripe, or maybe two, with magazines..

1) I absolutely hate that they skew pictures. For example, in mountain bike magazines, they allways have to twist the photo to make whatever hill the guy is riding up or down look steeper than in it. 4 wheel and offroad magazines do that too. It's like they think we are too retarded to notice the leaning trees in the background, or the crooked horizon. I want to see photo's that accurately represent whatver is being done, not worked up to make the rider look like superman sprinting up 45 degree grade.

2) I also can't stand faked in motion blur, especially badly done fake motion blur. Looks so unnatural and gay, imo...

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau

1) I absolutely hate that they skew pictures. For example, in mountain bike magazines, they allways have to twist the photo to make whatever hill the guy is riding up or down look steeper than in it. 4 wheel and offroad magazines do that too. It's like they think we are too retarded to notice the leaning trees in the background, or the crooked horizon. I want to see photo's that accurately represent whatver is being done, not worked up to make the rider look like superman sprinting up 45 degree grade.

2) I also can't stand faked in motion blur, especially badly done fake motion blur. Looks so unnatural and gay, imo...

What do you guys think?
    I hate the blown in cards and cardstock advertisment pages.
    I guess the rags I read don't do that kind of messing around with photos.

I'm With You

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau

What do you guys think?

It's trite, it's rediculous, it's insulting.

And if they want motion blur, hire a photographer to capture motion blur. There's plenty on this forum that can do it, and do it right!!! Isn't that right PJ, MTB Brian, and all the rest of the mountain bike gang?!!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information