ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

? Online website for photos?

I recall reading a thread somewhere on PR with links to websites where you can store your pictures. Some of them are free. Pbase.com is apparently having website problems lately. I believe Smugsmug is $23 a year. Is this a good price?

Thanks for any info.

Liz

Re: ? Online website for photos?

There's another forum I'm on, and they don't offer photo uploads like PR does. They recommended Photobucket if I wanted to post any images - basically they (or any other host) has the image online and it gets linked to the post. I think it could work here that way too, but it's easier to upload thru these forums. Photobucket has a good free service and a pretty impressive premium service at $25/year.

Since I just joined I can't tell you too much about it yet, but it does everything I want it to do. There's a 250k limit on file size for free accounts but 1MB for premium if that's a consideration.

Photostor is where I keep my stuff

www.photostor.com/clickphotography

it has some fexibility if you learn basic HTML you can play around with fonts and such and personailze it a bit more.
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Liz

Working on PR?

Steve,
    I tried a few times to use my images in the gallery to post on another website, but it won't do it. I can see the image once. Then it disappears. There is a message that says it isn't allowed. I forget the wording.

I'll check out Photobucket. Someone also suggested smugsmug.

Liz

Liz

Cool Thanks Nat.

Thanks for the link. Question.

I don't have time to learn much right now. So, for someone who needs a website for dummies to post on, would it work if I didn't need the fonts, etc.?

Natalie - we have to make plans to meet sometime this year. After the blizzard of course.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    Photostor is where I keep my stuff

www.photostor.com/clickphotography

it has some fexibility if you learn basic HTML you can play around with fonts and such and personailze it a bit more.

Re: Working on PR?

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Steve,
    I tried a few times to use my images in the gallery to post on another website, but it won't do it. I can see the image once. Then it disappears. There is a message that says it isn't allowed. I forget the wording.

I'll check out Photobucket. Someone also suggested smugsmug.

Liz
    Photobucket shows a thumbnail, then below it the URL and a couple of other things. Here's a sample. In their tutorial it looks like you just cut and paste the "IMG" (third line) to the other forum. Haven't tried it yet - maybe later today. Here's their sample album to show what it looks like. Obviously I don't know too much about this...!

P.S. It's Smugmug. I've heard of them but didn't think of this the other day when I registered, so I can't tell you anything about it. IIRC, Clemmie is on it. I don't think he comes over to VF but you might send him a PM.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I recall reading a thread somewhere on PR with links to websites where you can store your pictures. Some of them are free. Pbase.com is apparently having website problems lately. I believe Smugsmug is $23 a year. Is this a good price?
    Make sure you read all the fine print of the legal agreement. For too many of these "free" sites, you are assigning perpetual rights for free use of all posted photos for any reason.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Liz

Red face Forgot that little tidbit.

Thanks Michael.

That is an excellent point.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    Make sure you read all the fine print of the legal agreement. For too many of these "free" sites, you are assigning perpetual rights for free use of all posted photos for any reason.

Re: Thanks Nat.

yes things are preset...they have a template that is basic....you choose between three colors for headers, titles,etc and you just load the images like you do here to post. just resize things the same way you do here. very easy to do. that's why I ventured into the world of HTML because it was way to simple.
    ;)

we'll meet Liz I'm sure of it.
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Liz

Final Decison: Smugmug

I decided on smugmug because I was offered a discount from another user - with a 7 day free trial. Also, I tried it, and it's fairly easy. I posted a mish-mash of miscellaneous pics just to see if I could do it. I'll coordinate it a little more when I figure out how to make titles, etc.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Here's the link - just in case you have some suggestions to spruce it up. I have 7 days to decide if this is the one I want.

Nothing special here - just a test.

http://mariaimage.smugmug.com/

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Photobucket shows a thumbnail, then below it the URL and a couple of other things. Here's a sample. In their tutorial it looks like you just cut and paste the "IMG" (third line) to the other forum. Haven't tried it yet - maybe later today. Here's their sample album to show what it looks like. Obviously I don't know too much about this...!

P.S. It's Smugmug. I've heard of them but didn't think of this the other day when I registered, so I can't tell you anything about it. IIRC, Clemmie is on it. I don't think he comes over to VF but you might send him a PM.

Re: Final Decison: Smugmug

Liz,

What are you trying to do with your images. Are you only looking at a place where others can view them. If so, you can post on my memoriesinphotos galleries, it does allow people to register, create their own albums and upload to those albums. Let me know if I can help. I have mentioned this to you previously. Follow the link in my signature.

Liz

Smile Thanks Peter

It's been a long time, so to be honest, I forgot you had offered to help me a while back.

However, Smugmug seems to have quite a bit of features and options which I would like to look in to before I leave. One option I definitely want is to be able to use the images as signatures when I post on websites. Let me just see what options/features there are first.

Again, thanks Peter. You're always there - for me and everyone else.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Liz,

What are you trying to do with your images. Are you only looking at a place where others can view them. If so, you can post on my memoriesinphotos galleries, it does allow people to register, create their own albums and upload to those albums. Let me know if I can help. I have mentioned this to you previously. Follow the link in my signature.

Thread Information