ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Here (about me)

I've been lurking here for a while now while looking for a good online photography communiy, decided to sign-up today. I can't seam to find anywhere right as I'm not like most of you guys. Anyway, I'm a young blues musician that feels very comfortable behind the shutter. I won't go into my story much but I hope to be here a long time as you guys seam to have more to offer than any other online community!

My name is Vince Cheney, I'm a blues musician from Mississippi. I started taking shots several years ago with point & shoot cameras, hoping one day I could afford a real camera so real photographers would stop laughing at me. I talked to several great photographers and was convinced into getting a Pentax K1000 (it's all I could afford). They tried to explain that I wasn't setling for anything, that this is a great snapper but I had my mind on the Canon Rebel. Today I wouldn't consider getting a new Canon to even back-up my Pentax. There is something about that loud snap when I hear the click, I know something special happened. I dail what I want. I got all yalls photoshop buttons on my camera dial, all I got to do is figure out how to recall them. I don't have undo, edit, crop and etc...

I have since tried the digital world and sold it all of for more film for my old Pentax. As I can't imagine the photography world changing so much in the last few years as to look at an image and no longer see the shot. Instead many just think of words like "it needs photoshop", "crop the black", "adjust the color" and etc. I love phototography but have no love for the digital camera market at all. I jsut can't feel the love. I was hoping to find a community of traditional, manual photographers online dedicated to each shot. It seams we are all gone. I feel old and I'm only 26. I'm still young and one day I might go digital, but man I can't leave this yet!

Anyway I take a lot of shots capturing southern culture and etc. Maybe I'll be able to afford a scanner soon so I can post a few pics! I'm not near as good as most of you, but I do try to capture what I see. I love this site and this forum. I hope I fit in well, as I'm a lot differnt than most of yall!
    I got a website at http://thebluessite.com

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

welcome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vince
    I'm not like most of you guys. ...
    well that's good. none of us are like each other either

I started taking shots several years ago with point & shoot cameras, hoping one day I could afford a real camera so real photographers would stop laughing at me. ...
    REAL photographers realize it's not the equipment, it's the photographer, and wouldn't laugh at you! i remember after college, i was so PO' i couldn't afford the "o" and the "r", and i needed to shoot some color. so i used some of that "free" seattle filmworks stuff. later, when i was a little more flush, i went to clone-a-chrome to get a ciba print, and the guy next to me started laughing when he saw the "seattle filmworks" logo on the slide... then when he saw the actual photograph, he was a considerably less snarky.

I love phototography but have no love for the digital camera market at all. I jsut can't feel the love. ...
    i understand what you're saying. i prefer to stay with film. but at times [like last night, photographing wayne braithwaite] i crave the immediacy of digital, but only once in awhile i might end up getting a digital SLR in the distant future just for freelance work to fit in with the "new" workflow, but right now the amount of freelance i get or even want to do doesn't warrant it. i've borrowed a digital a few times for freelance/semi-freelance and was happy with the results - LOVE the sepia setting!! but for my non-freelance, i stick with film. though a strictly film forum would at times be nice, i really do like to see other people's work, whether film or digital. for me, it's the image, not the method [unless you get into photoillustration, then it's a different thing.]

Anyway I take a lot of shots capturing southern culture and etc. Maybe I'll be able to afford a scanner soon so I can post a few pics! I'm not near as good as most of you, but I do try to capture what I see. I love this site and this forum.
    neat, i'll check out your site. i'm working on developing some holga photos from my recent trip to new orleans. the southern culture is a bit different there!

megan

Liz

Smile Welcome Vince! This is a great site for photographers

regardless what you shoot. There are many people here who shoot film, some do both, and there are many who shoot digital.

Charles Hess, a moderator on this forum, is also a (jazz) musician. He also loves film, and is a real pro when it comes to his work. He shoots both film & digital, but there is nothing like his "film" street photography which happens to be my favorite. He can tell you more about himself.

I had a Canon Rebel 2000 and Elan7e which I loved. I sold the Elan when I purchased the Digital Rebel, but kept the Rebel 2000 because I still enjoy shooting film - my special love is b&w, Ilford Delta to be specific.

Thanks for choosing PR - you're somewhat familiar since you've been lurking, so I won't go into detail explaining the other forums.

It's great to have you on board.......

Liz

I've been lurking here for a while now while looking for a good online photography communiy, decided to sign-up today. I can't seam to find anywhere right as I'm not like most of you guys. Anyway, I'm a young blues musician that feels very comfortable behind the shutter. I won't go into my story much but I hope to be here a long time as you guys seam to have more to offer than any other online community!

My name is Vince Cheney, I'm a blues musician from Mississippi. I started taking shots several years ago with point & shoot cameras, hoping one day I could afford a real camera so real photographers would stop laughing at me. I talked to several great photographers and was convinced into getting a Pentax K1000 (it's all I could afford). They tried to explain that I wasn't setling for anything, that this is a great snapper but I had my mind on the Canon Rebel. Today I wouldn't consider getting a new Canon to even back-up my Pentax. There is something about that loud snap when I hear the click, I know something special happened. I dail what I want. I got all yalls photoshop buttons on my camera dial, all I got to do is figure out how to recall them. I don't have undo, edit, crop and etc...

I have since tried the digital world and sold it all of for more film for my old Pentax. As I can't imagine the photography world changing so much in the last few years as to look at an image and no longer see the shot. Instead many just think of words like "it needs photoshop", "crop the black", "adjust the color" and etc. I love phototography but have no love for the digital camera market at all. I jsut can't feel the love. I was hoping to find a community of traditional, manual photographers online dedicated to each shot. It seams we are all gone. I feel old and I'm only 26. I'm still young and one day I might go digital, but man I can't leave this yet!

Anyway I take a lot of shots capturing southern culture and etc. Maybe I'll be able to afford a scanner soon so I can post a few pics! I'm not near as good as most of you, but I do try to capture what I see. I love this site and this forum. I hope I fit in well, as I'm a lot differnt than most of yall!

I was hoping to find a community of traditional, manual photographers online dedicated to each shot. It seams we are all gone.
    That statement alone tells me you have no idea what these communities are about. There is nothing more important to us than the shot. We just look past the equipment and we share tips on improving. YES, that means telling each other to crop areas out, or to sharpen, or to soften, or whatever else we feel would improve a photograph. Just because the tools of choice have become digital instead of chemical means nothing. The process, the image, the vision, it's all the same. There are many shooters here that use chemical processes as well as digital. Many of us have chosen digital for many reasons, many of us stick to chemical for other reasons, it doesn't matter, it's ALWAYS about the image. Sounds to me like you are too hung up on the process, otherwise you wouldn't care if it was digital or chemical. I think this would be a great place for you to move past that and to truely start focusing on the image, not the sound your camera makes.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    That statement alone tells me you have no idea what these communities are about. There is nothing more important to us than the shot. We just look past the equipment and we share tips on improving. YES, that means telling each other to crop areas out, or to sharpen, or to soften, or whatever else we feel would improve a photograph. Just because the tools of choice have become digital instead of chemical means nothing. The process, the image, the vision, it's all the same. There are many shooters here that use chemical processes as well as digital. Many of us have chosen digital for many reasons, many of us stick to chemical for other reasons, it doesn't matter, it's ALWAYS about the image. Sounds to me like you are too hung up on the process, otherwise you wouldn't care if it was digital or chemical. I think this would be a great place for you to move past that and to truely start focusing on the image, not the sound your camera makes.
    Do I have to get past being passionate about what I do. I'll never get over the feeling I get when I snap an image, it's a joke for you to even suggest so! A lot happens when that quick snap takes place, all right then [CLICK!!!].The day it becomes another image, I will sell my equipment and get a better guitar. YES there's a huge difference in manual, traditional photography and an image enhancing program that can alter any image to your desire by a simple click (not to be confused with the same "click" that takes place with a camera). We're NOT all the same here, regardless of what most photographers tell themselves, we're all different! You can have very little skills as a photographer and still be able to patch things up well in photoshop. I'm not bashing either of the methods, I'm saying they are different. I use photoshop every day for web design and fancy graphics and see nothing wrong with others doing it. I just feel like I've cheated myself out of a great experience when I see an image I want to share with the world and then digitalize it to make the image appear acceptable. I figured a response as such from several of the board members as like I say, we're not all after the same thing and NONE of us are wrong. Good thing I'm not seeking acceptance from everyone, I'm sure someone here already got there mind made up that I'm unacceptable. I'm only looking for something to pass the time between shots and hopefully get knowledge, give a little and possible even make friends.

I been looking into maybe opening an online forum for such of us that still have a passion for traditional photography if something don't give soon. Something like I got at http://thebluessite.com/community or http://winemakersworld.com but for us film loading junkies. I've polled a few, really active photographers that still load film, they say they've looked for the same forums - no luck. Maybe this site could start a traditional photography section, something for the non-digital photographer exclusively. We're no better, just very different! I can help with the forum, I'm the Admin of 2 other forums online (none photography related).

I got to go take a few shots of an old store I found today, better hurry before the sun fades... I'll post some of my pics soon.

I hope to always be an armature, never to grow to be the best, then who would inspire me? But I don't look at a ton of images all day, they're are images everywhere waiting to be captured and introduced from my perception to yours. Sorry for the longs posts, I'll stop now, lol. Thanks for this forum, it's great! And thanks for the kind words all. I feel welcome, everyone here is quick to help, that's why I joined. Thanks for the kindness!

Vince,

No one wants you to get past being passionate, to me you're just missing the point.

Your post makes it seem like you only value the PROCESS of taking the picture, not the final result, which is all that really matters. Don't stop appreciating finely made cameras, don't stop learning new darkroom tricks, don't stop looking for the best way to develop and print to achieve your vision. I am not saying you should. I just think you should give us a chance, give technology a chance, and hopefully see that in the end, whether it was taken with an old Leica or a brand new DSLR, that it's all about the IMAGE.

I don't think it's at all a joke of me to suggest that.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Welcome

Welcome to pr. I hope you get access to a scanner so you can share some of your photos with us.

I was hoping to find a community of traditional, manual photographers online dedicated to each shot. It seams we are all gone.
    Or perhaps the group you're looking for doesn't embrace computers, scanners, and the internet. There are plenty of photography clubs, long before digital was developed. Maybe you need to look offline.

But I am not suggesting that you don't stick around this forum!

Spike
    Last edited by Spike; 03-30-2004 at 12:12 PM.

Good thing I'm not seeking acceptance from everyone, I'm sure someone here already got there mind made up that I'm unacceptable. I'm only looking for something to pass the time between shots and hopefully get knowledge, give a little and possible even make friends.
    Mornin' Vince,

I can assure you that no one here has judged you as "unacceptable". We are a pretty close knit family here and we welcome all with open arms. I can honestly say that many here are anxious to see your photography and we all are interested in your views and what you will bring to our community.

With that being said, welcome to the PR.com family.
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I don't think...

Seb,

I actually don't think he's missing the point. He just feels very strongly one way, and just because many here are more *moderate* and tend to be ambivalent either way about digital and film, doesn't mean he *has* to. It seems to me that he *has* given digital a chance and just plain old likes film and couldn't be bothered with digital or the sort of all-accepting mindset that is at least represented in the language on this message board. Just because many on this message board do see it a certain way does not *at all* mean he has to conform and sanitize his ideals to appease the general board populace. Yes, it's nice to speak the same language here, but let's value individuality as well, as long as it doesn't turn into another nasty film vs. digital flame war.

Previously, you had strongly stated that the same type of clean, anesthetized imagery litter this site... why should our opinions be as clean and anesthetized as these technically perfect images you spoke of?

I think there's room for him here, and there's no danger in someone who's intensely into process as much as image. But that doesn't mean you have to.

Anyway, lots of smileys, because it's not meant as a flame or to peeve anyone off... more often than not I'm just being the mischevious, irreverent devil's advocate!

Cheers all!

Megan

Liz

Smile Well spoken, Megan

Thanks for expressing your points so well - better than I could.

Vince.......stick around..........please.....you won't be sorry.........and you WILL fit in!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    Seb,

I actually don't think he's missing the point. He just feels very strongly one way, and just because many here are more *moderate* and tend to be ambivalent either way about digital and film, doesn't mean he *has* to. It seems to me that he *has* given digital a chance and just plain old likes film and couldn't be bothered with digital or the sort of all-accepting mindset that is at least represented in the language on this message board. Just because many on this message board do see it a certain way does not *at all* mean he has to conform and sanitize his ideals to appease the general board populace. Yes, it's nice to speak the same language here, but let's value individuality as well, as long as it doesn't turn into another nasty film vs. digital flame war.

Previously, you had strongly stated that the same type of clean, anesthetized imagery litter this site... why should our opinions be as clean and anesthetized as these technically perfect images you spoke of?

I think there's room for him here, and there's no danger in someone who's intensely into process as much as image. But that doesn't mean you have to.

Anyway, lots of smileys, because it's not meant as a flame or to peeve anyone off... more often than not I'm just being the mischevious, irreverent devil's advocate!

Cheers all!

Megan

welcome aboard

Variaety really is the spice of life...welcome to the spice rack....
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Actually, he did...

As Sebastian says so well in his last post, NOBODY has asked Vince or expects him to give up ANY passion about ANY aspect of his photography, or conform to anyone's idea how images should be created.

The fact that Vince thinks Seb implied this means he obviously misunderstood what Seb was trying to say in his original post...

Now, I'm not trying to fan the flames here (and I plan on a seperate post for Vince, whom I wholeheartedly welcome to the site), but being TOLERANT of the many ways of working as a photographer (as Sebastian has shown he is) is in no way the same as being AMBIVALENT...

Sure, it's often a fine line, but when it's all said and done, tolerance is good thing, especially when many new members need nurturing and encouragment bordering on stroking. Criticizing this healthy attitude, even if it is simply as devil's advocate , to me serves little purpose.

Now, meg, you know you're my GIRRRL (got my Everlast tshirt on today!), but I think you're putting words in Sebastian's mouth. Vince introduced himself in a slightly defensive way, declaring his enthusiasm about being part of this community, while at the same time voicing subtle misgivings about it as well as some of the members here.

It's only natural that some of us respond to that the way Seb did...

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    Seb,

Cheers all!

Megan
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Well stated, Steve...

and welcome, Vince. As a former pro musician(jazz), my creative side got me into photography and learned and enjoyed an old Nikon F3 and used an FM2n(mechanical like your great Pentax K) for years. I've gone through a number of digital cameras, not being satisfied until I wound up with a DSLR, which finally gave me the feel, at least, of a film camera. But you know what? I still wind up using my Contax and Leica film cameras for the images I like to take and wind up using digital when it is asked for by the client.

I do agree with sebastian that it's the final image that counts, but I, too, enjoy the whole process of film choices, lab interaction, etc., etc.

I look forward to your participation here on Viewfinder and am looking forward to seeing some of your images. I remember posting here quite awhile back with the comments that I couldn't tell the difference in image quality between the F5 and the FM2n, and wound up selling what is Nikon's best SLR ever. Bottom line, you do what you enjoy, create what your vision tells you, and who cares how the image was made. see you around.

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    As Sebastian says so well in his last post, NOBODY has asked Vince or expects him to give up ANY passion about ANY aspect of his photography, or conform to anyone's idea how images should be created.

The fact that Vince thinks Seb implied this means he obviously misunderstood what Seb was trying to say in his original post...

Now, I'm not trying to fan the flames here (and I plan on a seperate post for Vince, whom I wholeheartedly welcome to the site), but being TOLERANT of the many ways of working as a photographer (as Sebastian has shown he is) is in no way the same as being AMBIVALENT...

Sure, it's often a fine line, but when it's all said and done, tolerance is good thing, especially when many new members need nurturing and encouragment bordering on stroking. Criticizing this healthy attitude, even if it is simply as devil's advocate , to me serves little purpose.

Now, meg, you know you're my GIRRRL (got my Everlast tshirt on today!), but I think you're putting words in Sebastian's mouth. Vince introduced himself in a slightly defensive way, declaring his enthusiasm about being part of this community, while at the same time voicing subtle misgivings about it as well as some of the members here.

It's only natural that some of us respond to that the way Seb did...

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Welcome Vince!

Good to have you aboard, Vince. I'm one of the moderators on this site, and as a LONG TIME film shooter, I can assure you that the process is still alive and well and still discussed with enthusiasm in the forums here...

I'd like to take this chance to make a few comments about your post. I'll try to do this without sounding like I'm judging you, and this will be the only time I bring this stuff up, unless of course, you want to take any discussion further...

"I can't seam to find anywhere right as I'm not like most of you guys..."

We now have over 1000 members on this site, and trust me, EVERY type of photographic shooter and process is represented. Despite your perception, there is no one single category that "most" of us fit into.

Sure, the fact that you enjoy full frame film shooting with no post processing does indeed set you apart from the mainstream, but it is no more or less noble or legitimate than any other type of image making. You have every right to feel the way you do, but it's usually a mistake to try to push those feelings on others.

When all is said and done, what you describe are simply restrictions you place on yourself, nothing more nothing less. And that is perfectly fine. After all, we all take an individual path as artists, and creating boundaries and rules for ourselves is often what we need to be motivated to go out and take photos. The challenge of working with restrictions is often the reason we get satisfaction from our efforts and results.

Just keep in mind these are your restrictions, not anyone elses...

Your rejection of digital technology is interesting. I mean, nobody says you have to like it,
    it's just that there was a time that your preferred method of working, an SLR with 35mm film, was considered not only the newest technology, but a blasphemous abandonment of the "legitimate" (at the time) method of making photos, namely medium format viewfinder cameras.

MF, in turn, had been rejected by some users of the older large format view cameras, and so on, and so on. It has always been thus. This is how photography has evolved, digital simply being the next step, the newest set of tools. And like every camera format and generation of photographers before now, sometimes these tools were used well, sometimes they're weren't.

As for photoshop, the marvel of this imaging software has never been and will never be simply a "bandaid" for poor photography. It is very easy to make precise parallels between the tools available in ps and the traditional methods of controlling film and print processing in a wet darkroom. The technology itself does not result in tacky or cheesy or hokey pictures, but rather the people who use it (or abuse it) to alter their images.

IMO, images are never created solely in the camera. It is just the first step. I also feel someone who can take weak or bad photos, then edit them in imaging software to somehow create an interesting or powerful design, is every bit as talented an artist as those who have an eye for good composition and exposure when using a camera. Their talents simply lie along different paths...

"There is something about that loud snap when I hear the click, I know something special happened..."

You are not alone when you express excitement over the more tactile aspects of photography. That in itself doesn't really make you different. A lot of us have extended these sensations to many other facets of photography, from the smell of film to the atmosphere of the lab to viewing slides on a lightbox to matting and framing prints. It's a perfectly normal and even somewhat universal way to feel. The process can be as enjoyable as the final image...

What I find funny is that you only associate this with a film camera. I still get the exact feeling you describe when I trip the shutter of my Canon 10D digital SLR. For me, the process of being in that "special moment" has not changed one bit, and is more about what I'm doing rather than what I'm doing it with...

Ok, I don't want to babble on all day. Let me wrap this up by saying that we did consider a film-only forum as you suggested. It was decided that the Help Forum was more than adequate to handle any issues over technical problems or choices to be made regarding film. Other than that, the general consensus was that the most important aspects of photography were "format independent", and should be addressed in Viewfinder or Critique.

For what it's worth, digital cameras and imaging launched a whole new series of issues, problems, and discussions that were unique to that technology, hence the seperate forums for those topics. They are certainly not meant to exclude film in a bad way...

So again, welcome. We can't wait for you to share some of your work.

BTW, when you finally get to view this thread again, you may have the feeling we've all been talking behind your back. If so, I can't say that I blame you. Just try to appreciate the fact that the folks here are interested enough in what you have to say to want to discuss it...

"Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

First off, welcome to PR.com, Vince. As far as being different goes - we all really are in alot of ways. You'll find people here interested in lots of different subjects, and equipment wise from top-shelf digital gear to pinhole cameras. I think I understand what you're saying about the moment - the "decisive moment" as Henri Cartier-Bresson calls it, when everything comes together and the shot happens. That's certainly something to feel passionate about. Given some time, you may change your mind about what happens after the shutter is pressed - be any of it digital or none of it with traditional darkroom work. Keep yourself open to new ideas, but you are in charge of your own photography.

Good luck, hope to see some images from you. By the way, there are a few musicians including Charles here. I'm a bass player - working on a CD project right now and will probably shoot the cover too!
    Last edited by another view; 03-30-2004 at 03:01 PM.

Welcome Vince..

Just remember that Ansel Adams (Mr Film) ALWAYS improved his final print by going through the camera, developing, and then printing the image. "The negative is the score, and the print is the symphony". For him the final image was crucial, and he worked very hard to get the masterful print. He was a pretty passionate guy too, or should he have just enjoyed being in the outdoors and not worry about how his prints turned out??

The entire process is important from start to finish, film or digital.

I shoot both film and digital and use both. This forum has a great variety of pros and amateurs, and very few would be critical that you use film. Just remember when you hear that "click", that you may have a great image printed that will inspire other people.

Also, the reason I stay on this board is because there are real people who will give you as much inspiration that you need.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

I'm very satisfied here on the forum and really respect the selfless work the moderators/admin puts in to make this forum successful. I'm not wanting to cause any trouble, just want to state what I love and that I love photography very much, though I hope I do NOT take it as serious as many of you (joking). I feel that it will be a lot of confusion for me being on a forum receiving digital advice 99% of the time, I'll just have to limit what I ask for, understanding the majority of forum members are nearly 100% digital . As I do have an interest in digital photography, I have NO interest in swapping my SLR in for a DSLR or getting any digital advice on my shots as I'm not really into digital photography. Though I would love to have a DSLR, it's very low priority and am NOT trading in a thing for it. Thanks everyone and maybe we will have many years of enjoyment together. And certainly a big thank you for the warm welcome. I really thought everyone here had outgrown this film movement or would try to recruit me, that's my I came on strong!
    Though I do think there is a huge difference between traditional and digital photography, certainly enough to separate forums, this is a call by the moderators and I accept. It would get confusing looking for answers to things like lighting, exposure and etc as it would divide the topics in half! I'll hang around and maybe make a few friends! Thanks again everyone!
    Vince Cheney
    The most magnificent power is the ability to freeze time!

Liz

Cool Good post! Thanks

you did a good job at expressing yourself.....and we're all glad you're here.

It would get confusing looking for answers to things like lighting, exposure and etc as it would divide the topics in half!

If you check out the lighting forum, you'll see that both digital & film questions are answered there, and good advice given. The lighting forum is great, and you can expect that those who post are knowledgeable with film & digital. The same with this forum, Helpfiles, and a few others. Even though you can't post your pics yet, you might also check out the Critique Forum - you'll see quite a few people still shoot film!

Enjoy the forum..........

Liz

Take a look at my site Hodgins Photography

All digital.

Give me another Canon AE-1 and my custom lab, I could do the exact same images.

Smile Welcome!

I for one am glad to have you here. You're our first, self-proclaimed, Delta Blues Film-Only Photographer. Or am I misrepresenting you?

Anyway, you'll find that most of us couldn't care less what kind of camera you use. I think you said you have a Pentax K1000. That's a worthy camera with a great history. If you dig into this site, and photography in-general, you'll find that the K1000 has, and still is producing a lot of great photographs. Digital has a lot of benefits for those who are interested and have the money. But that doesn't mean it's the only way. Far from it. The best camera is the one you have. And follow your own path to art. That's the only way you'll find your vision and voice.

But do see if you can't find a way to scan some photos so we can see your photos. More photos is better. And I'm really curious about your work.

So glad you didn't get scared away!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I for one am glad to have you here. You're our first, self-proclaimed, Delta Blues Film-Only Photographer. Or am I misrepresenting you?
    I never really stated that, but you hit it! That's my direction. I'm really touched by the blues and southern culture. But I'm going to the Louisiana State Arboretum (only a few miles from my home) to do a few wildlife shots at sunrise. I really just try to capture what's around. I'm not as special as I may have lead. I'm just another young guy with a camera, probably where all you were 30 years ago.... So be patient.

But do see if you can't find a way to scan some photos so we can see your photos. More photos is better. And I'm really curious about your work.
    As I feel intimidated honestly, I'm really no where near as good as yall would hope. I've seen a few pics on this forum that have truly inspired me! I don't use much artificial light or funky tricks, I really take great quality shots of whatever is around and that's all. I'm not as creative as most of you, I really just try to show the viewer whatever I'm seeing, hoping to share a little excitement. I'll try to get something posted in the next few days. I got a few fantastic graveyard pics that I'm proud of, you need to see the cemeteries around here, they are great! Any of yall ever want to go snapping with me, come on! I really like working beside another photographer. It would be really cool to make good friends with a local that is 100% digital. We could go out and snap a few and meet back up and compare our shots... I'm not competitive as far as pics, it's just all for fun! Though I do expect to make money from some of them, I'm at the stage of my life right now where I'm busy burning a lot of film.

So glad you didn't get scared away!
    Actually you folks are much more kind to me than I thought. I really didn't think you would make room for me! A lot of people really have trouble accepting folks that are not a lot like them. I'm young, new and really have a set direction (so I think) and a lot of people don't like that. But you all seam open minded and patient.
    Vince Cheney

Vince,

Try to remember that not everyone here was at your point thirty years ago. I for one, was born 25 years ago, so I was MUCH less along in photography than you. As for Photo John, well, let's just say that thirty years ago he was teaching his grandkids much more than we all know now. I only hope to be as energetic as him when the age creeps up there, with all the bike riding and stuff he does...
    -Seb

My website

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    I for one, was born 25 years ago
    If you're 25, I'll buy lunch next time - I get the senior citizen's discount...

Sab,
    I by no means ment to sound old. I'm only a few years older than you and havn't taken any pics compairable to the good work you got posted on your site Sab. Like I said, I'm where most of you were 30 years ago!!!! But I am very happy with a lot of my work, I by no means have earned bragging rights... I feel I still got 10 more years to grow!
    Vince Cheney

Sab,
    I by no means ment to sound old. I'm only a few years older than you and havn't taken any pics compairable to the good work you got posted on your site Sab. Like I said, I'm where most of you were 30 years ago!!!! But I am very happy with a lot of my work, I by no means have earned bragging rights... I feel I still got 10 more years to grow!
    Vince,

I was just giving you a ahrd time. Relax, no need to explain yourself. I'm just surprised PJ hasn't banned me for the crack at him yet...

Thanks for the compliments on my work, I appreciate it. Now post some damn pictures.
    -Seb

My website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information