ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Need Flash Advice!!!!

I'm a beginner to the world of SLR camera's etc...however I'm very serious about learning. I've got a Rebel Ti and in the future I'd like to get into some small time portrait shooting (maining out doors so studio lighting probably won't be a factor)...probably senior pictures type stuff. I've been looking into getting a nice cannon flash. What are the basics of picking out a good flash? More specifically, what are the differences between the cannon 420 and 550 (those numbers may not be correct but I'm sure you know which two i'm talking about) other than the 550 costing twice as much? Is it really worth twice the money as the 420? Keep in mind I'm not going to be shooting from huge distances (but I'd still like some flexability). Any and all advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a million,
    Justin

Go to the library or bookstore and look for the lighting cookbook in the photography section. It explains a lot of great things about lighting. Personally, I like the lighting used in the old days with portraiture - gads, I can't think of the photographers name - he used to shoot famous stars like Jean Harlowe and Marlene Deitreich without makeup and used lighting to create magniscent photographs. He hand painted them. Oh, jeez, my brain's not working tonight!
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Disclaimer: I don't know much about Canon stuff, I use the other brand... But the 550 is probably a lot more powerful than the 420. Depending on what you want to do with it, the 420 might be fine - at least in the beginning. One problem with lower powered flashes is shooting outside. If your camera has a relatively slow sync speed (1/60 or 1/125) then you need to stop down a ways in bright sun to use those shutter speeds. At the small aperture that you'd have to use, it's hard to get enough power even out of a big flash to get much working distance. Hard to have an on-camera flash with too much power.

Janie: Check this class out: http://www.tppa.org/course17.pdf I was at the school in April but didn't take this class. I did see some of the work they did and it was great - using simple equipment too. One of their best backgrounds was an accordian fold room divider (you know what I mean?). Lit from the side it had a great look. I heard he's a good teacher too.

i use the sunpak 544.if you have never seen or used the sunpak,do yourself a favor and read up,using one i think,would convince you to buy it.its powerful,accurate,and has alot of low end flash settings.it will light up a large room,almost a gym.like i said ,this has my vote.it improved my action shots to wedding shots considerably.
    freelance1031@aol.com
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    Th 550ex is the top Canon hotshoe flash. It is a workhorse. It has several features and controls that the 420ex does not have. Also the 550ex can be a master, and the 420ex or another 550ex can be slaves. This is for wireless, multiple flash lighting - indoors or outdoors. If you want a flash that will do all the automatic control, then the 420ex would be good to start with. If you want to control your flash output, or just get more creative with your flash, then you'll want the 550ex.

Also for outdoor portraits a good reflector(s) help sooooo much. I would check into them too.

Have fun

Kathy

Talking Thanks for the help

I just wanted to say thanks for the help to all of the posters that have answered me. I think I decided on the 420....now I just gotta take the leap and call B&H. Thanks again

Is the photographer you are thinking of George Hurrell, Janie? His work is amazing.
    Lara

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    Is the photographer you are thinking of George Hurrell, Janie? His work is amazing.
    YES! THANK YOU! lol Talk about a brain block! He is my idol!
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Thread Information