ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

My opening / Raffled off a photo

All -
    My solo show opened Saturday! I had a pretty good turn out. Back up a minute - I was really happy with the work on the wall. I think my series is pretty solid. It's really amazing to get your work enlarged and see a cohesive bunch on the wall. I had a total of 20 images up - color prints that I took with my Holga. Two prints were 18"x62", the rest were 15X15" (except for a little triptych.) I did sell one photo! A friend bought it, but a sale is a sale, right?

Since a close friend of mine's family/extended family/husband's extended family were left without a thing except their lives by hurricane Katrina, and SO MANY fellow Americans were, I had a hard time with the concept of celebrating when I have so much. I asked for the gallery owner's permissions, and he thought it a good idea - I framed up a print of a Holga photo I took in the French Quarter and raffled it off for $5 a ticket at the opening. I raised $120 in two hours that I donated to AmeriCares. I felt good that I could use my art and opening for somethng more than selfish congratulation.

I'll be around a little more now. Good to be "back,"

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

You Rock!!!!

Right On Megan!!!
    I wished I could have been there to see the opening.
    Glad to hear you got a sale and the raffle sounds good too!
    I am interested in seeing/knowing what this 18"x62" photograph is!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Liz

Re: My opening / Raffled off a photo

Congratulations Megan!

You sold one! So what if it's a friend. Your raffle was a wonderful idea. You could have kept that money for yourself - $120 is a lot.

I'm happy for you. And IMHO - it's right for you to celebrate. Thanks for sharing your good news with us.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    All -
    My solo show opened Saturday! I had a pretty good turn out. Back up a minute - I was really happy with the work on the wall. I think my series is pretty solid. It's really amazing to get your work enlarged and see a cohesive bunch on the wall. I had a total of 20 images up - color prints that I took with my Holga. Two prints were 18"x62", the rest were 15X15" (except for a little triptych.) I did sell one photo! A friend bought it, but a sale is a sale, right?

Since a close friend of mine's family/extended family/husband's extended family were left without a thing except their lives by hurricane Katrina, and SO MANY fellow Americans were, I had a hard time with the concept of celebrating when I have so much. I asked for the gallery owner's permissions, and he thought it a good idea - I framed up a print of a Holga photo I took in the French Quarter and raffled it off for $5 a ticket at the opening. I raised $120 in two hours that I donated to AmeriCares. I felt good that I could use my art and opening for somethng more than selfish congratulation.

I'll be around a little more now. Good to be "back,"

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Re: You Rock!!!!

There were two 18"x62" photographs, and one of them was the image on the postcard. Some friends took phots at the opening, I'll see if I can't get permission to post or link them.

Megan

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    There were two 18"x62" photographs, and one of them was the image on the postcard. Some friends took phots at the opening, I'll see if I can't get permission to post or link them.

Megan
    I'd love to see that one, that big! Must be nearly life size.
    Please post some pics of the opening if you can!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: My opening / Raffled off a photo

great news! Congrats!

Now, of course I'm kicking myself for not at least lurking here more. I just stumbled to this thread on the morning I leave NYC. But with the way work has been of late, I should be back next month.

Thread Information