ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

My new web site, please take a look!

This is my first time to try making a web site and I have done it on my own. Please take a look and let me know what you think. My goal was to make it as user friendly as possible and not make viewers have to figure out how to get around in it to see my images. The only thing I have left to do is turn on the BUY THIS PHOTO option. I am currently trying to find out how to handle the taxes before I get myself in trouble. I have used font colors that show up well and have done many little things to make it more user friendly. Hope you like it and I welcome any and all comments, Jeff

Here it is http://www.jeffimpeyphotography.com/
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: My new web site, please take a look!

Due to the fact so many people have read this thread and not made any comments I will just have to come to the conclusion that everyone is just speechless after viewing my web site. It could be that everyone that has viewed it just wants to be kind to this old man and not tell me what they really think. Well, being the optimist that I am I am going with the first explanation. Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OK Jeff,
    I made a quick visit and I like the layout and content ( that I viewed).
    I did not see that you labeled the "perfect magnolia". Have you found one that satisfies your desire?

I'll check back later.
    Plant a tree, help it grow. Children need something to climb.
    Critique any picture; any where; any time.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

When the site first pops up, my first impression is very positive and I think there will be some nice shots in here.
    So I tried Bayou Country slide show and my screen remained blank(black) for longer than I thought it should. It also was on full screen.
    Must have been me or my connection because when it did come up, I had no further trouble with any of the other galleries.
    Whether slideshow or individually they came up quickly and were easy to view.
    Easy to find back links to galleries or home page.
    I do notice that 'home page' and 'back to galleries' is the same thing. Not a negative, just an observation.
    Nice work, Jeff.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

gotrocks, thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment. I arranged the magnolias in order of what I like the best first and my least favorite last. I did re label the first one so you will know for sure. Thanks again, Jeff

Frog, I have tried my site with IE and Firefox many, many times after getting everything finished and had no problems.

As far as the "HOME PAGE" and BACK TO GALLERIES" going to the same place, you are exactly right. I did this intentionally because no matter which way you think about where you want to go you will get there. Some of the people thought of it as going back to the home page and others that I had check out my site thought of it as wanting to go back to the galleries, which in fact IS the same place. By doing it this way you will be able to find more pictures however you choose to think about it. I have seen several web sites that I have looked at that do not give you a navigation bar at all and leave you on your own to figure out how to go back. My goal was to make it as easy as I could. Many sites that I have looked at have gotten me frustrated trying to figure out how to get around in them and I just close them out and move on to somewhere else. I didn't want this to happen on my site. The easier the site is to get around in the more likely a visitor will be to look at additional galleries and pictures. Thanks again for taking the time to look and leave a comment, it is much appreciated, Jeff

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Who is your audience and what are you trying to accomplish with your website? Are you looking for customers to visit your site and order prints, or are you using your site to share your photos with your family and friends? I'm assuming you want to sell prints so my comments are below are coming from a customers point of view.

I really like the layout and functionality of the galleries. I also like the use of a black/gray background. I think having photos displayed on line on a black background really make them stand out. I also like how the thumbnails on the home page change every time I go to it.

One thing that I noticed is that the home page is pretty long and you have to scroll to see it all. It might just be my personal preference, but I would like to see all the relevant information and options "above the fold".

Something else that kind of stuck out at me was that you have a gallery for "Birds" and you also have galleries for specific types of birds. I think I would have a single gallery of birds instead of 4 separate galleries. I don't know how customizable smugmug websites are but could you have sub galleries within a main gallery? For example, have your Birds gallery on the home page, but then when you click on it you have options for Snowy Egret, Pelicans & Osprey?

I think you have the opportunity to combine a few other galleries too if you wanted. For example, everything in the Available Light gallery could fit under Landscape & Scenery. Same thing with Bayou Scenery.

I think that by combining some of your main galleries you could shorten up the home page and get all of the info that a customer is going to want to see above the fold. It may not sound like a big deal but think about how many times people post a link to a photo in the critique forum and they don't get any comments on it. It's not hard work for people to click on the link, or scroll down on a page but it makes it much easier if we are able to see it right in front of us and not have to look for it.

Just a few thoughts that I had. Over all, I think the site looks very nice.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Who is your audience and what are you trying to accomplish with your website? Are you looking for customers to visit your site and order prints, or are you using your site to share your photos with your family and friends? I'm assuming you want to sell prints so my comments are below are coming from a customers point of view.

I really like the layout and functionality of the galleries. I also like the use of a black/gray background. I think having photos displayed on line on a black background really make them stand out. I also like how the thumbnails on the home page change every time I go to it.

One thing that I noticed is that the home page is pretty long and you have to scroll to see it all. It might just be my personal preference, but I would like to see all the relevant information and options "above the fold".

Something else that kind of stuck out at me was that you have a gallery for "Birds" and you also have galleries for specific types of birds. I think I would have a single gallery of birds instead of 4 separate galleries. I don't know how customizable smugmug websites are but could you have sub galleries within a main gallery? For example, have your Birds gallery on the home page, but then when you click on it you have options for Snowy Egret, Pelicans & Osprey?

I think you have the opportunity to combine a few other galleries too if you wanted. For example, everything in the Available Light gallery could fit under Landscape & Scenery. Same thing with Bayou Scenery.

I think that by combining some of your main galleries you could shorten up the home page and get all of the info that a customer is going to want to see above the fold. It may not sound like a big deal but think about how many times people post a link to a photo in the critique forum and they don't get any comments on it. It's not hard work for people to click on the link, or scroll down on a page but it makes it much easier if we are able to see it right in front of us and not have to look for it.

Just a few thoughts that I had. Over all, I think the site looks very nice.
    Mike, thanks for your input. Take a look and see if you think this works better, Jeff

Jeff, my initial impressions were nearly word for word what Mike wrote. Your edit addressed this concern perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    Jeff, my initial impressions were nearly word for word what Mike wrote. Your edit addressed this concern perfectly.
    Thanks jetrim!!! This is why I wanted my fellow members to look at my site so I can get different perspectives of how people see it. After all the object is to keep making adjustments so I can make it the best site possible. Thanks again, Jeff

Web site looks good Jeff.

My only question is at the top of your intro you have welcome to then the http address spelled out it's link to the same page. Is there a reason that you just didn't put welcome to Jeff Impey Photography and no link to the page?

James

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV
    Web site looks good Jeff.

My only question is at the top of your intro you have welcome to then the http address spelled out it's link to the same page. Is there a reason that you just didn't put welcome to Jeff Impey Photography and no link to the page?

James
    Thanks James for taking a look and asking your question. If you put my name in a search engine, a lot of the links that come up will take you to a picture in a gallery. By placing it in the welcome they will know where this gallery actually came from and how to get back to my site. I preferred to only have Jeff Impey Photography at the top of the page without the .com on the end. Good or bad, this is my reasoning for doing it that way. If later I come up with a better way it can always be changed, Jeff

Your site is a typical smugmug site which I like. They are easy to navigate and move around in.

Personally I like a navabar on top better that will take you to galleries, about me page (or whatever you choose).

Not sure who this is for. My smugmug site is for parents of athletes and people who have already secured my services. I'm not looking for outside sales and have no clue how to market that and not sure if you are.

Have you checked out digital grin? They have a board all about customizing your site. As is your site is functional and perfectly fine. If you wanted a little more pop and pizazz digital grin has many tutorials.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Thanks Jeta and everyone else for your comments and suggestions. My wife and I are headed to Branson Missouri in the morning for a week so I might not get an opportunity to get on the forums much for the next week, Jeff

Thread Information