ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

More street shots...

from the recent weeks. As the seasons change, so does the make-up and personality of the homeless community. Sad, but certainly obvious in their presence and actions.

#1 - Morning, no one around on this downtown street except for this fellow who appeared to be lost in thought. G2 Zeiss 90/2.8, NPH
    #2 - This poor guy's eyes were totally blank, his face shaking badly, mind elsewhere, and I was surprised that he was not asking for money. Even with Neopan 1600, I couldn't get a sharp image of his face.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More street shots...-isolation.jpg   More street shots...-shakes.jpg  

The first one with the man squeezed into the corner of the frame works really well. It emphasizes his plight and shows his loneliness and helplessness. I like compositions that work this way. For the same reasons I don't think the second works as well. Sometimes you don't have the time for whatever reason and just take the shot the way it is and move on. I always enjoy your street shots and I wish more people here were more comfortable taking them,

Liz

Street shots...........

Charles - I like the first one the best. I think you captured his mood in the image. The 2nd one is good too.....but not as striking.

Gerry & Charles - In response to Gerry's comments, I'd like to share this. Personally, I have a difficult time shooting "street" people, but I do it when I don't think it will make them feel self-conscious. It's obvious in these and all of Charles' images that everyone is comfortable.

However, the first time I posted a homeless person on VF, someone commented about how this type of photography exploits the poor. I'm very sensitive to the poor and homeless, and took that comment to heart. I don't post the images anymore as I felt that even "offending" one person with this type of photo was not a good thing.

However, I love viewing these images. I see nothing wrong with it and always look forward to the images that Charles posts, but somehow I don't have the courage to do it myself anymore. Any thoughts? I'd love to be inspired again! ;)

Liz

Liz, in order to be successful (whatever that is) in street photography you have to feel comfortable. You can't be sneaking around feeling like a criminal. If you are taking photos of those less fortunate you are not exploiting them IMO because you are not making money from the images or taking advantage of them in some way. Actually by posting you are giving people the opportunity to see how other people may live and the difficulties they encounter. A lot of people live in more rural areas or don't get the opportunity to get into the inner cities. We see photos every day of the disadvantaged in Africa, South America, all over the world. There are many people suffering in the United States that need attention. By letting people know in an indirect way you are helping them. Just my 2c.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More street shots...-nottomuchtime.jpg  

Liz

Thanks Gerry

I appreciate your input. You gave me some food for thought. I have more confidence than I used to, but it's a slow process (for me). I love street photography. Actually it's becoming my favorite. My photography time is usually quite limited, so street photography helps me in 2 ways - I enjoy walking around the streets and I LOVE shooting the subjects!

Thanks again.

Liz

Thread Information