ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Monitor Calibrators which one recommended

I've been thinking about this for a while now and having no one that has one, other than maybe people on these forums I thought it would be a good place to start.

I have thought about the ColorVision Spyder as that is reasonably priced compared to others around and was looking on B&H Video website yesterday and came across a package they have for both Photoshop CS Upgrade and ColorVision Spyder

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=324738&is=REG

For $279 I thought this might be a good deal to consider as I can't find them here in Australia as well at a good competative price.

What are people opinions on this. Currently I am using Adobe Gamma as colour management for my monitor.

Get the....

Colorvision Spyder. Adobe Gamma pales in comparison. It's better than nothing, but the Spyder is definitely the way to go, very easy to use as well.
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. - Ansel Adams

I went with Monaco Optix XR after reading this: http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc026a.htmWill Crockett's advice has always worked for me and it's easy to use. I haven't used any other packages out there myself though.

Thanks another view, interesting reading. As my monitor is older, I might have to lok at the Monaco Oprtix option as well. I was just thinking of the other one as it comes with Photoshop CS Upgrade as well, so the costs are very reasonable that way too.

Peter, I'm glad you brought this up. I have been looking into this now as well as I have started to make some large prints of my favorite shots. It is a drag when you don't get on print exactly as you see on the screen. My colors are not really off, but mostly what comes out on print is somewhat darker than how it appears on screen. I was wondering if calibrating would help and improve consistency. I too like the Spyder set mainly because it seems reasonably priced. But I just read a review on the Monaco system in Shutterbug mag and it says the Monaco allows you to calibrate monitor and Printer and scanner. . .and profile them for eachother. So what you see on screen will be almost exactly what you get on print. So, I'm thinking . . is the Spyder system going to make much difference.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Gary,

My understanding of all this is, you need to have the monitor accurate otherwise no matter what you do, it will never get printed as you see. So the first step is Monitor Profile. Second Step is getting the correct colour space in the program you are using eg, for print Adobe RGB, then getting the printer profile correct for your printer, ink and paper.

I can get reasonable prints, the printer I have is several years old now (Epson 760 Stylus Colour) and I think part of my problem is that the work flow I have, isn't quite setup correctly. Also the printer never prints on the paper how I want it to, doesn't even center in the middle of the page, even though I tell it to.

What I see on screen comes out lightish on paper, so adjusting it, means wasting paper, ink and time.

Hence the importance of a properly profiled system.

Yes if money wasn't a big factor, then buy the top of the range Eye One, with all the profiling tools under the sun and be done with it, but I can't afford $1,400US and I'm sure you can't nor many other photographers not earning a living from this HOBBIE. Although if we were, then these costs become a tax deduction over several years and wouldn't really be an issue. We could buy what we needed then.

I hope others chime in with thoughts on this as well.

What was the cost of the Monaco System you read about in Shutterbug Mag ???

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I was wondering if calibrating would help and improve consistency.
    Yes - that's the reason to do it!

Gary, everything I've heard at classes, seminars, etc is that monitor profiling is by far the most important thing to do. If you do this only, you'll take care of almost all problems. Next step is to profile the printer/ink/paper combination, but those systems get really expensive (my Monaco Optix XR is monitor only). Then if you really want to complete the system, profile your cameras (or scanner). Seems like this is what high-end studio photographers are doing - which I'm not! I'm only doing the monitor and it's helped a lot. It's also an inexpensive system compared to the others.

I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by prbowhay
    Hi Peter:

When I was gainfully employed -- gosh -- that was just last week ;) -- I was able to buy the GretagMacbeth system, so, I paid the big price and got the works. It made a world of dfference.

From everything I've read recently, the Monaco system has been VERY well received and has less complaints than the Colorvision Spyder system.

But anything is better than just relying on Adobe Gamma!

Best to You,
    Penny
    I agree with Penny. The Gretag MacBeth is the better system if you do you own scanning/editing/printing. You can build input profiles from your scanners and camera to help alleviate some of the color casts.

I currently have the ColorVision Spyder and it works great, but I do think that the MacBeth system is the better overall package.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I might get the Eye-One monitor only calibration, can get it currently for $199US just checking about the postage.

Yes Penny, unemployment isn't great is it. I thought I might have had a job about 3 weeks ago, went for an interview after them calling me to come in for one, felt the interview went well, suppose to let me know in a couple of days, never heard back from them at all. Quite Depressing, hence my not being around much actively the past few weeks, still very depressed about it. At 50, life just gets longer and longer, but hey, my problem we deal with our own lives our way don't we.

I would love to buy the complete system, would be good if people I knew where into it, as well, could share costs, but no one here into Photography to justify the overall expense.

Thanks again everyone for the input and truthfull comments, which is the main thing about this website isn't it.

Thanks Loren, your comments are always appreciated.

OK,

Ordered the Eye-One for $219US includes postage and handling, hopefully will be here sometime late next week. Also ordered Capture One SE as well, got a discount on that, which I have been thinking of getting for a while now, will upgrade to pro version next time they have a special deal.

Will let everyone know what I think about the Eye-One after getting and using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Gary,

My understanding of all this is, you need to have the monitor accurate otherwise no matter what you do, it will never get printed as you see. So the first step is Monitor Profile. Second Step is getting the correct colour space in the program you are using eg, for print Adobe RGB, then getting the printer profile correct for your printer, ink and paper.

I can get reasonable prints, the printer I have is several years old now (Epson 760 Stylus Colour) and I think part of my problem is that the work flow I have, isn't quite setup correctly. Also the printer never prints on the paper how I want it to, doesn't even center in the middle of the page, even though I tell it to.

What I see on screen comes out lightish on paper, so adjusting it, means wasting paper, ink and time.

Hence the importance of a properly profiled system.

Yes if money wasn't a big factor, then buy the top of the range Eye One, with all the profiling tools under the sun and be done with it, but I can't afford $1,400US and I'm sure you can't nor many other photographers not earning a living from this HOBBIE. Although if we were, then these costs become a tax deduction over several years and wouldn't really be an issue. We could buy what we needed then.

I hope others chime in with thoughts on this as well.

What was the cost of the Monaco System you read about in Shutterbug Mag ???

Sorry for not responding to you sooner , Peter. Being that you already ordered your new set up, i guess this is a moot piece of info. They said it had a street price of roughly 400.00... Monaco EZ color Optix ER. Bundled with EZ color software that enables you to calibrate and profile the entire workflow.
    The software includes a sheet of colors and patterns to print out and the calibrator makes sure your printer is putting out the same thing the monitor is displaying. Also claibrates and profiles scanners.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks Gary,

Nothing is ever moot, information is always good for everyone. At Comparison between $199 and $400, the Monaco EX Color Optix ER would have lost out anyway. I will wait and see how things go.

I am sure others with the same thinking at present will take onboard what you have posted here.

Thread Information