ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Money burning a hole in my pocket

Someone sent me some money via paypal for something this morning. I noticed that there was an extra $120 in there I didn't even know I had. Right then and there I decided that money was to go to something fun and was to be spent very soon. So my question is.... what photography related item(s) should I buy?

Lately I've been thinking about getting into film again for B&W. I still have my old nikon FM but the only quality lenses I have for it are a 50mm and a 28mm although I do have some other junky lenses. If I bought a used canon film body I could use my 50 F1.8 and my 70-200 F4. My main canon lens is the EF-S 17-85 so I obviously couldn't use that. I saw an Elan 7ne on ebay for $200. I could put in the extra cash if I really thought I'd use it enough to be worth while.

I'm also open to any other ideas, have any?

Re: Money burning a hole in my pocket

Do you have a scanner? If so, you could use the Nikon FM, two lenses you have and for well under $100 get the equipment you need to develop B&W yourself. Print making requires a darkroom, but film developing can be done in daylight (by loading the developing canister in a changing bag). Also, used manual focus Nikkors are pretty cheap. Just a thought.

Yeah, I do have a scanner, when I was thinking about getting the B&W setup together I didn't even consider scanning the negatives. I've got a canon 4200F at home that I bought just for scanning documents. I know it has a slide / film adapter but I've never used it so I don't know how good it is. Sitting on my desk at work I also have a minolta diamge scan dual II as well, it's a dedicated slide / film scanner.

Link to my canon scanner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16838111116

Now you've really got me thinking about which direction to go. I just received a free bessler enlarger so I may still want to go the old fashioned route but that's something to consider. I have a basement with a studio and plenty of room left for a darkroom.

Just send it to me...I hate to see someone is such a dilema.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Thread Information