ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Let's Face It - (add your photos)

On the critique forum, Gary mentioned that a shot of mine looked like a face.

I think it's common for us to find faces or eyes in inanimate objects and thought it would be fun if you all posted examples you might have.

I think that the human brain (and others) are hardwired to do this. The brain analyzes everything that the eye renders but only raises a very small fraction of what is seen to a conscious level while just ignoring the vast majority of what we see. One thing that is likely to be brought to our conscious attention is anything that resembles a face in any way, especially if it appears to be eyes that are looking at us.

I personally think that one reason this has come about because it is a very strong survival trait in nature. It's a good idea to know if something is watching you and thinking about eating you or taking over your territory.

Another reason is that communication has a very strong visual component that is centered on facial expressions and where eyes are looking. Any one taking a speech class has been told how important eye contact is (one of my huge failiures. If you have read anything like "The Horse
    Whisperer" or seen the documentaries on the person on whom the book is based (I forget the name of this amazing person) or has worked with other animals much will realize that this crosses species boundaries as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's Face It - (add your photos)-01.jpg  
    ----------------------------

Re: Let's Face It - (add your photos)

Hey Chunk, I know what you mean. Sometimes people say that the owners look just like their pets... I think its the other way round.

Coops
    Peace Talks Hamper War in Middle East

Thread Information