ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    mjm
    that guy.

Digital Rebel Hack to 10D.

Post from /.

When Canon introduced the Digital Rebel, the world's first entry-level Digital SLR camera, many remarked on its similarities to the 10D , its $500 more expensive big brother. In fact, the two cameras share much of the same technology and so Canon implemented a number of software-based limitations to avoid destroying sales of the professional-oriented 10D. Now, a new hack that restores a previously hidden menu along with a few additional tricks has added nearly all of those 10D features to the Rebel, with an arguably superior user interface to boot. Canon has so far said little on the hack but certainly cannot be happy with its potential effect on sales. This is, however, a reality that more corporations are having to confront. In an era where programming labour is relatively cheap and computer connectivity more frequent can artificial, marketing-driven, barriers between technology products, last?"
    Links into this page: http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/...el-tricks.html (will most likely be very slow most of the day).

I will most likely try this out with my camera over the weekend. If it breaks I will just hit Amazon up for a new one ;)

Oh nos!

This is pretty cool. If it works, I'll get my cousin to try it. Post your results.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Your title cracks me up.

Does the software add a PC Sync socket? Does it add better build? Better AF? Better buffer? Does it paint it black?

Hehehe...

Added features are cool, but take the risks into account. In the grand scheme of things, is it really worth it?

Even if it works, you're guaranteeing incompatability with any fture firmware updates, and any warranty work will be rejected. You're screwing yourself out of a thousand dollars essentially.

Think it through fully before you commit.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

mjm
    that guy.
    is there a problem with switching back to the original firmware? from what i read it doesnt look like it.

the added features look pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm
    is there a problem with switching back to the original firmware? from what i read it doesnt look like it.

the added features look pretty sweet.
    It depends. Typically, firmware checks to make sure the firmware it's supposed to upgrade is there beforehand. That depends on camera and firmware though. It may be that it just blindly overwrites what's there without checking.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I am under the impression that you can't ever downgrade firmware, ala the danger in messing with it.

I know with motherboards and stuff, if you mess up the firmware - hello doorstop! And you can't downgrade or reflash it, from what I know.

could be different with cameras, but typically firmware is kinda "for keeps"

mjm
    that guy.

Wink

Here is a thread about this new firmware on dpreview.com
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9017890

I will read through that when I get a couple minutes.

How do I revert to my OEM Firmware?

1) Reset all the CF to the original 300D settings. Note: you cannot use the Reset option in the menu, it does not affect the CF's. Below is a list of default binary values from left to right (The bottom numbers in the CF menu):

2) Check to make sure the red-eye-reduction icon no longer blinks!!! If it is still blinking, you have not set all of the CF properly.

3) Flash back to 1.1.1.
    that looks like it will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm
    Here is a thread about this new firmware on dpreview.com
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9017890

I will read through that when I get a couple minutes.

that looks like it will do it.
    Looks like he's done it.

Reflashing is very risky, but that also depends on the type of memory the firmware is stored in.
    -Seb

My website

This Rebel hacking has been going on for sometime, apparently there is a guy doing the hacking a bit at a time and posting up new links for the current hack of the Rebel, so people have been following it with a great deal of interest. It just goes to show that no matter what people in the industry do to try and keep things square, someone will find a round hole to put the square into.

No the hack isn't completely a hack to a 10D, but think of all the added extras they are getting for nothing because of the hack. It will satisfy a lot of people that have been a little disgruntled with what they got from the Rebel and probably what should have been made available to them anyway.

Just my thoughts, but I bought the 10D specifically for the added features that I wanted to have.

Not saying I agree with hacking but with the prices that are charged for things these days, it isn't any wonder there are so many hacks of equipment and software around. If manufacturers actually looked into their pricing a bit more, dropped them to a more realistic price, there wouldn't be so much piracy going on. This isn't just for certain items ever, I mean pricing in general.

Yes they have to cover their costs and make a profit, but how far does profit have to go, look at Microsoft for instance. Why is Bill Gates the richest man in the world, Because We Stupid Nuts agree to Pay the Price of the Product that is Asked by Mico$oft, but the change is happening isn't it.

Yes reflashing is risky, but if the steps outlined are followed, then there isn't a problem, people have done it and had it work, as long as the instructions are followed.

who knows. Its your/their rebel. In a sense, how is messing with firmware different than, say, retuning your cars exaust system, or overclocking a cpu, or any other sort of performance modification to something you own.

Just my personal opinion, but if I pay for it, I am free to do what I want. It is hilariously stupid for canon to include features that are just inactive.

mjm
    that guy.
    a friend at work installed this last night. the new features all appear to be working. will report more after we play with it a bit more.

Thread Information