Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Angry Canon EOS 10D - Digital banding problems

Hi There,

I am a modeling photographer and I shoto with a 10D and 16-35 F2.8 L and 100-400 F4.5 L lenses.

I wanted to share some photos with fellow 10D owners to see if anyone has ever had this problem and if so how it was resolved? I have had my 10D for over a year now and have taken around 60 thousand photos. Up until now it has been fine, never skipepd a beat, but the last few shoots I have had the results below. not every photo, just a few here and there. Anyone have any ideas what it is or what causes it?

Needless to say the 10-D is going back ot Canon next week for service and repair. Im just curious if anyone has seen this issue? Thank god for the backup camera... :-)

You can clearly see the banding issues in the photos.

http://www.wollongongbeach.com/Mel_01.jpg
    http://www.wollongongbeach.com/Mel_02.jpg
    http://www.wollongongbeach.com/Mel_03.jpg

Cheers
    Jason
    www.jasoncolephotography.com.au

Wow that's a bugger isn't it Jason.

Wollongong Sunrise hey, looks good.

For those that don't know, Wollongong is on the East Coast of Australia in NSW, about 1 1/2 south of Sydney. Coal export are, but has some really pretty coast line, great pubs, Hangliding of the huge cliff tops at Stanwell Tops, one of the pretty areas of Australia.

I certainly would be getting it back to canon, what were the settings for the shots that have the banding Jason. I wonder if the banding has something to do with reds.

You site is well done, I would have the about us page writings put through a word processor for grammer checking. Loads very quickly and the images are standard size which I think is a good thing. Only thing I didn't like was the background in a lot of images is distracting to me and shadows where they shouldn't be, at the back of models too close to backgrounds like the rocks on the beach, and shadows cast by arms across bodies. But hey what would I know, your making money and I'm not, but I do know what I like and your website shows a lot of very good model work. Thanks for sharing this.

Did you design your site or was it doen totally by DVDCreations.

Welcome to the forums as well, good to see another Aussie here.

TJM
    Great Sage Equal of Heaven
    Ive noticed the same banding ocassionally when using servo mode with 1600/3200 iso, I guess the usm motor on some lenses might do it. Its more obvious in darker shots too. Apparently microdrives can also cause it at high iso but thats just what ive read.

Good luck

Toby (another aussie )

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. I was using the camera at ISO 100 and 400. I use an external Canon CP-E2 battery pack that adds another 6 batteries to the 550ex Speedlite and greatly improves flash recycle times. I connect that to the boottom of the 10D. I wonder if that might be interfering as yesterday I did a whole days shoot without the battery pack and there are no lines at all in any photo.

Any ideas if that would do it? Maybe its designed for film cameras that wouldnt need to transfer data and thus no chance of corruption?

Cheers
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Wow that's a bugger isn't it Jason.

Wollongong Sunrise hey, looks good.

For those that don't know, Wollongong is on the East Coast of Australia in NSW, about 1 1/2 south of Sydney. Coal export are, but has some really pretty coast line, great pubs, Hangliding of the huge cliff tops at Stanwell Tops, one of the pretty areas of Australia.

I certainly would be getting it back to canon, what were the settings for the shots that have the banding Jason. I wonder if the banding has something to do with reds.

You site is well done, I would have the about us page writings put through a word processor for grammer checking. Loads very quickly and the images are standard size which I think is a good thing. Only thing I didn't like was the background in a lot of images is distracting to me and shadows where they shouldn't be, at the back of models too close to backgrounds like the rocks on the beach, and shadows cast by arms across bodies. But hey what would I know, your making money and I'm not, but I do know what I like and your website shows a lot of very good model work. Thanks for sharing this.

Did you design your site or was it doen totally by DVDCreations.

Welcome to the forums as well, good to see another Aussie here.

P.S. My site was done totally by DVD creations and i thoroughly recommend them!

Cheers
    Jason

Hey Jason,

You know it might just be the cp-e2 that is causing the problem maybe some electrical field interference. If you have the cp-e2 connected to the 550EX, wouldn't the pouch be better on your hip out of the way. I haven't got one, little bit expensive for me at present, and thought that was how you used it, attached to the hip. If on tripod, then hanging the cp-e2 off of the tripod not the camera, I suspect you hang it off of the right side of camera as well, is that right.

I hope that is all the problem for you.

What was the cost of DVD creations for building your website ?

Hey Peter,

DVD creations chanrge me around $1300 for the whole lot (including the wedding site) but they did say at the completion fo the site that they under charged me and did not realise the amount of imagery imvolved in the site, so I would expect to pay more.

The battery pack is awesome and it connects to the bototm of the camera via the tripod mount, so it runs along the base, but the capacitor end is under the flash card, so maybe that is the issue. The problem is that I can't replicate the problem. I use the battery pack some days and its fine. Im waiting to hear back from Canon about this.

Its pretty cheap the battery pack, $119 from BH In NYC www.bhphotovideo.com the cheapesst place ot buy Canon gear anywhere in the world. I just brought a 16-35 F2.8 L for $1900 Australian there.

Cheers
    Jase

Thanks Jason,

Becareful about buying Digital stuff of Canon's overseas like cameras. They don't cover the warranty here in Australia. I have purchased several things from B&H over the past two years as well. Was that $119Aus for the battery pack delivered to you.

If the battery pack is under the CF card I would be very suspicous that that is the cause, even if it is intermittent. Would like to know the reply back from Canon. I have found them very helpful.

Nice Lens, but you are making money out of photography and I'm not so that isn't in my line of site at present, but I do know I need a wider lens on the 10D for those shots that I need it for like inside rooms etc.

Hope you find this site helps with answers etc.

Any web design place is going to say they undercharged you all the time. It really isn't that difficult for them, they have the templates already made, just a matter of converting the data items which isn't a big deal. Although time is money these days, I think somethings are just charged too much and that is one of them.

I look after a church community neighbourhood centre site free of charge and host it as well for them. The site was designed by someone else and changing things isn't difficult, also added a few things to it as well to improve it.

Aha ... Same problem but much worse

Hi jason ..

I have the same problem, but it gets much worse once it goes into this "mode" ... I sent it back to Canon, who kept it for a couple of weeks, and then sent it back with an admonition to "insert the CF card carefully" ... but its begun to happen again.

Has your problem gone away? Did Canon fix it?

I dont have a backup camera, and it is driving me nuts!

Hi There,

Yes the problem tunred out to be the external 500ex battery pack. Its a small battery pack that holds 6 batteries and I had it screwed on to the base of the camera. When writing some files it would cause the digital banding through interference. As the camera was writing to the flash card the battery would be charging and the EMF corrupted the images. I should not that Canon dont mention this anywhere in their documentation.

So if you have an external battery pack, then put it in your pocket and NOT attached to the bottom of the camera and the problem will go away.

Cheers
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Vijay
    Hi jason ..

I have the same problem, but it gets much worse once it goes into this "mode" ... I sent it back to Canon, who kept it for a couple of weeks, and then sent it back with an admonition to "insert the CF card carefully" ... but its begun to happen again.

Has your problem gone away? Did Canon fix it?

I dont have a backup camera, and it is driving me nuts!

Thread Information