ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Talking Just a few air race pictures

I'm not going to post a ton of pictures as I have done in the past. Although that doesn't mean I haven't taken a bunch. Gotta love digitial for that. I finally got to go out to the home pylon, and its not as nice as you would think it would be. Dusty, dirty, windy, etc...but the view is awesome! This pilot is only about 4 - 5 feet off the ground and I did not have to crop the picture. I hope adamsti is having fun because the weather is not cooperating at all....and getting worse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just a few air race pictures-air-race-2.jpg   Just a few air race pictures-air-race-3.jpg  

mjm
    that guy.
    that first shot is HOT! mind posting a couple more??

I will post a few later

Tomorrow is the last day and it is suppose to be very nasty weather out there. In the last three days our temperature has dropped 20 degrees each day. Windy and cold is the forcast with possible snow on sunday....burrrrrrrr. So after I get all the grit off and I can see again, I will have more time to go through my pictures, and will gladly post a few more. I went out with the fuel crew to one of the furthest pylons and about sand blasted myself trying to get some pictures. No luck as the perception out there was very difficult with an ugly overcast sky. They come over a little knoll and "right" over your head because its the start of the longest straight-away on the course. I swear that they only clear the knoll by about 20'...if that! and close enough to make you duck. So needless to say, after this I need to get my camera cleaned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just a few air race pictures-dsc_8320sm.jpg   Just a few air race pictures-dsc_8078sm.jpg  

Hi Toot!

I was hoping that you'd post a few shots from Reno. I've got 5 friends out there right now!

Looks like you're getting some awesome shots. These first two look like Julie Clark. She is supposed to have a really good airshow act in this airplane. Isn't it great when you don't have to crop to get an awesome shot like this!

Hopefully it won't snow on you today. The weather sure has been weird this year. We're in the middle of one of the hottest weeks of the year right now and you're worried about snow!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Toot
    I'm not going to post a ton of pictures as I have done in the past. Although that doesn't mean I haven't taken a bunch. Gotta love digitial for that. I finally got to go out to the home pylon, and its not as nice as you would think it would be. Dusty, dirty, windy, etc...but the view is awesome! This pilot is only about 4 - 5 feet off the ground and I did not have to crop the picture. I hope adamsti is having fun because the weather is not cooperating at all....and getting worse.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Talking Woo Hoo!!!

Great shots Toot!

Keep 'em coming!

PS - I'm envious of you being out there!!!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Speed & Troy

I had another GREAT year. I didn't take as many pictures as normal...just a little over 1100....LOL, and none on sunday. I was trying out different things on my camera, most which didn't work. Plus with the weather turning bad, I was a little more careful getting my camera out. Working in the booth, I'm always looking at peoples camera's...good conversation topic. Troy - Yes, that is Julie Clark! Very nice person. I got those shots by going out with her pyrotech people. Couldn't get a better view! The Heritage Museum had our view blocked. So I really couldn't see from the booth this year. They must like us because they keep getting closer to us. But I have gotten to the point that when I hear something, I can do a half gainer over the tables with my camera around my neck and get out to the fence, without running anyone over....LOL. We didn't have any unscheduled fly-bys this year. Plus I noticed the teams didn't fly as low, so you couldn't get the cool low fly-bys. More than likely because of the weather conditions. Those wind gusts can be nasty. I actually walked through the pits this year. Haven't done that in a lone time! I wanted to get back there to get a picture of the Jelly-Belly plane. So if anybody got a good shot of that....Please post it!

Here are a couple more shots. 1) Julie Clark 2) Have no clue what it is, but I like the picture. 3)Little girl playing on the bunjy cord display.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just a few air race pictures-julie-clark.jpg   Just a few air race pictures-sunset1.jpg   Just a few air race pictures-dsc_9219sm.jpg  

Forgot this one

After the Julie Clark show, we had to wait for these guys to get off the ground. I love the way the props came out on this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just a few air race pictures-dsc_9076sm2.jpg  

Sounds like you're staying in shape!

Sounds like you had a great time despite the weather. Even if 10% of your shots came out as good as these you got quite a few good ones! The ability to experiment and take a lot of pictures at a relatively low cost is one of the things I love about digital!

If you have any that really stand out you should post them so we can ooh and ahh over them!

That second shot looks like it might be a Stearman with cockpit covers on to protect the cockpits. Beautiful lighting, nice capture!

One of these days I'll make it back out there!

Troy

I had another GREAT year. I didn't take as many pictures as normal...just a little over 1100....LOL, and none on sunday. I was trying out different things on my camera, most which didn't work. Plus with the weather turning bad, I was a little more careful getting my camera out. Working in the booth, I'm always looking at peoples camera's...good conversation topic. Troy - Yes, that is Julie Clark! Very nice person. I got those shots by going out with her pyrotech people. Couldn't get a better view! The Heritage Museum had our view blocked. So I really couldn't see from the booth this year. They must like us because they keep getting closer to us. But I have gotten to the point that when I hear something, I can do a half gainer over the tables with my camera around my neck and get out to the fence, without running anyone over....LOL. We didn't have any unscheduled fly-bys this year. Plus I noticed the teams didn't fly as low, so you couldn't get the cool low fly-bys. More than likely because of the weather conditions. Those wind gusts can be nasty. I actually walked through the pits this year. Haven't done that in a lone time! I wanted to get back there to get a picture of the Jelly-Belly plane. So if anybody got a good shot of that....Please post it!

Here are a couple more shots. 1) Julie Clark 2) Have no clue what it is, but I like the picture. 3)Little girl playing on the bunjy cord display.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

That prop does look cool!

I still think it's pretty cool to hear all of those T-6/SNJ/Harvard's in close proximity racing around the pylons. It has to be experienced to be appreciated just how loud they can be.

Nice shot Toot!

After the Julie Clark show, we had to wait for these guys to get off the ground. I love the way the props came out on this one.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Cool That second shot looks like it might be a Stearman

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly

Sounds like you had a great time despite the weather. Even if 10% of your shots came out as good as these you got quite a few good ones! The ability to experiment and take a lot of pictures at a relatively low cost is one of the things I love about digital!

If you have any that really stand out you should post them so we can ooh and ahh over them!

That second shot looks like it might be a Stearman with cockpit covers on to protect the cockpits. Beautiful lighting, nice capture!

One of these days I'll make it back out there!

Troy
    That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. Prop planes aren't my forte'. I like fighters. WWII to the present. I must have watched too many episodes of Baa Baa Black Sheep!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Smile I loved that show!

I live off to the side of the flight path, and with the Fallon being so close, we get a lot of military planes coming by. Plus they still have stuff out at Stead. I think my favorite to listen to are the C130's.

Wink my favorite to listen to are the C130's

I live off to the side of the flight path, and with the Fallon being so close, we get a lot of military planes coming by. Plus they still have stuff out at Stead. I think my favorite to listen to are the C130's.

Those turboprops make a distinct sound. A rather pleasing sound IMHO. I can relate.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

man those are some cool pics. it must have been awesome to be there, nothing beats watching planes go by 4 feet off the ground at blazing speeds. now just imagine how scary it would be to have someone lay on the ground where they were doing that.

thanks for posting those pictures.

Hello F-15

We had some of those there too (F15), doing a show. I showed Julie Clark that picture and it gave me a chuckle....she said she was 4 ft too high. Gutsy little thing that she is. I think that is one of the reasons I enjoy working out there....THE SOUNDS! Can't beat it. I have been going to these air races for the past 40+years, and working in them for the past 17yrs. (boy, that dated me!) It is quite an experience. I heard that we are the only air race that races the larger planes. One of the more graceful races are the L-39's, graceful but quiet. One year when everyone was leaving after the show, a C130 and a refueler went around the pylons. Wish I had my camera for that one!

Thank you for the comments
    Terri

adamsti did have a great time

Yes I was there for 8 glorious days. I was darn cold Saturday and Sunday, I got no shots of the Gold race Sunday. I did not want to get my 10D wet in the rain. All my shots will be posted at this link. You don't have to register to see the pics, just click the link.
    http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=2015
    I ended up taking almost 2000 pictures!!

The only reason I don't post too much here is I can post 800x600 at aafo.com, I don't like having to resize my pics for a bunch of different sites.

I also have quite a few of the Jelly Belly plane, I have not had the time to process any yet though.

Smile Hey there adamsti

You posted some great pictures. Some of which were right in front of where I was. There was one with 4 people, one named Connie. I met her and that group last year. If you went into the Heritage booth, you had to walk right around ours. Glad you had a good time. Post a Jelly-Belly for me!

I walked down to the static display just about every day, early, early each morning. All of my photos that are not of the static stuff were taken from the pits, and the Valley of Speed.

Liz

Cool Great pictures.......excellent

Toot,

I love the first one - but they are all very nice. They are sharp, good composition and color. ;)

BTW, what is your equipment?

Liz

Liz

Thank you for the comments, Liz. I use a Nikon D100 and my Nikon 28-200 zoom. If I remember I only had it about 135mm. I have the progression of her coming from the end of the runway and if I would have turned a little more to the left - it would have been right into the sun....but I'm not complaining. It was great just to get out there. I like the TeddyBear in the back seat.

I added some more, included the requested Jelly Belly Mustang.
    http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...3508#post13508

Thread Information