ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: I'm Moving

I'm Moving

Hello All,
    We're currently located in Southern California. However, after the wedding in Nov. we are moving back to WA state (mid-late December).

So, now I get to start the process of getting work in Washington (seattle area, but i'll drive wherever)

I need ideas and thoughts on how to do this.

Down here I work for other companies and I just got my first solo (solo on everything, contract to prints) wedding for October. Otherwise, i do the weddings Solo, but everything else goes through someone else.

I'm willing to do the first few weddings for cost. i need to put together some nice books and 'share' with venues, but first I need to get those weddings to do that for.

All thoughts and ideas are welcomed!!!
    Thanks!

I've never been in your situation, so I can't offer much help, but possibly searching the Internet for photo studios in Seattle might be a start. If you have a decent portfolio put together on CD, shopping yourself around would be a start. Good luck with everything, and keep us posted with your progress.

I've seen local photographers who must've struck a deal of some sort with a local department store, to advertise right alongside and in conjunction with wedding registries.

Or, advertise in and around travel agencies. LOTS of engaged couples planning their honeymoons well in advance. I'm sure you've thought of bridal shops, etc.

You could also get yourself involved with some sort of group where engaged couples are likely to be found, and then advertise by word of mouth. I don't know offhand what kind of group you might find, but don't laugh when I say this, but I recently worked with a theatre group that had THREE engaged couples, and when I took pictures of the play, one of the couples asked if I do weddings. I really don't, otherwise I'd have a job for October.

Again, don't laugh at this suggestion: carry your camera around with you everywhere. Put the biggest lens on that you can find, and people just might come out of the woodwork and ask if you do weddings. Whenever I carry my camera I'm always striking up conversations.

Just thinking outside the box ...
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thread Information