ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

I guess this confirms how crazy I am!

I found an abandoned grave yard tonight, found out it was an old slave grave yard and the graves were very very old - some people were born in the late 1700s! Unfortunately, i couldn't get the dates in any of the shots because the stones were so faded - it was very hard to read the stones. Being night, i have limited light so i used my brakelights or head lights! I shot in my usual fashion of late - slow shutter, low light...

This was a very lonely grave, set apart from the rest...

This one was incredibly old, set apart from others as well...

I used my brakelists to light up this group....
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Re: I guess this confirms how crazy I am!

Candyman! Candyman! Candyman! Candyman!

As you can see I am not about to type that five times...

Neat Images. I like the first 2 the best though. And don't worry about being crazy, you in good company...;)
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Hey, I was considering bringing fog machines, colored lights and a few people dressed either as zombies, vampires, or ghosts to the cemetary to shoot! lol Now do you think i'm nuts?! Maybe on a full moon, when there will be more natural light in the background would be the best time to do it. Hmmmm, it's waxing right now!

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

awesome shots as usual. I like the idea of bringing people dressed as various scary creatures.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    I found an abandoned grave yard tonight, found out it was an old slave grave yard and the graves were very very old - some people were born in the late 1700s! Unfortunately, i couldn't get the dates in any of the shots because the stones were so faded - it was very hard to read the stones. Being night, i have limited light so i used my brakelights or head lights! I shot in my usual fashion of late - slow shutter, low light...
    These are brilliant, really. You manage to convey such a mood here, I love these.

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    These are brilliant, really. You manage to convey such a mood here, I love these.

Seb
    Well thank you! This was a total whim, since I really didn't plan to come across this grave yard! I'm searching for some information on it, curious what i'll find. So far, i am finding nothing - i can't even find a name of the cemetary. It's not on an actual road either, it's a dirt road behind a house and the cemetary is in the middle of woods. Hmmmm.

Member:

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I love the composition and the overall feel. You're a real estate maven, check out the county records and the local paper and go back in time, could be some really cool history. Mightr make a interesting series if you could find some relatives and build a story, sort of a time travel thing. (sorry about that, I report back to work on Thursday and am getting back into teacher mode, lesson plans and all that)
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Place also looked like a great place to go UEing (Urban Exploring) around. Maybe all sorts of good finds out in those woods.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    Well thank you! This was a total whim, since I really didn't plan to come across this grave yard! I'm searching for some information on it, curious what i'll find. So far, i am finding nothing - i can't even find a name of the cemetary. It's not on an actual road either, it's a dirt road behind a house and the cemetary is in the middle of woods. Hmmmm.
    Wow! So if I get you right, you found out that place in the middle of the night (or at least when the night was falling?) It must have been so cool and so creepy at the same time!
    It might worth to wander arround some more as Axle have suggested. Who know's what your next discovery could be.

Seb

I went back during the day with my 11 year old nephew - he seemed to have fun looking at the old grave stones, some from the 1800's and even a few ivory or white marble ones! He decided to sit back in my truck after he ran right smack into a cobweb and tripped of the bottom half of a broken grave stone. I took some pics during the day when i could see the gravestones better, so i'll see what i can do with the pics. Packing up for my trip to oahu tomorrow - going to be there until next wednesday. I wonder if i'll be able to see the meteor showers? Anyone know when they'll come by during pacific time?

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Wow! So if I get you right, you found out that place in the middle of the night (or at least when the night was falling?) It must have been so cool and so creepy at the same time!
    It might worth to wander arround some more as Axle have suggested. Who know's what your next discovery could be.

Seb

Member:

Thread Information