ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Talking I Didn't Buy A Lens Saturday...

And my wife is so proud of me!

OK, blame Rick for the byline. Went to Greenville Saturday to drop off my slide film at ASAP Photo. While there, I mentioned that I wanted a 50mm f1.4 lens for my K1000. They had one, but I didn't buy. Gotta show some restraint.

I will get it, one day soon. Father's Day is coming. So is Christmas. And my wife spoils me! Hehehe. It's good to be a Nikon Samurai!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

... and it's all my fault! :)

Restraint is a good thing. So is keeping the wife happy

But don't forget that you have to take advantage of your opportunities when they hit you. I've passed on lenses and stuff just on the principle of it then realized later that it was a pretty dumb thing to do!

Ah-so! Philosopher Samarai say "One must seek balance in the force!"

Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I've passed on lenses and stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Restraint is a good thing. So is keeping the wife happy

But don't forget that you have to take advantage of your opportunities when they hit you. I've passed on lenses and stuff just on the principle of it then realized later that it was a pretty dumb thing to do!

Ah-so! Philosopher Samarai say "One must seek balance in the force!"

So have I, my friend. I've seen f1.4 lenses come and go at ASAP. If they sell this one before I get it, they will get another one in.

"Restraint is a good thing. So is keeping the wife happy "

That and I didn't have $100 on me! That's why the wife was happy - I didn't go in debt for it.

Of course, she may very well go buy it this weekend. She's like that. She loves me and she likes to make me happy. Yes, I am spoiled! ;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    ah.... what a BORING FOCAL LENGTH ANYWAY ;) get a 35mm or an 85mm.... you look around daily at around 48mm i do believe.... why take boring images ;)

and $100 seems STEEP to me anyway!!!!!!!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Can't say the same

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    And my wife is so proud of me!

OK, blame Rick for the byline. Went to Greenville Saturday to drop off my slide film at ASAP Photo. While there, I mentioned that I wanted a 50mm f1.4 lens for my K1000. They had one, but I didn't buy. Gotta show some restraint.

I will get it, one day soon. Father's Day is coming. So is Christmas. And my wife spoils me! Hehehe. It's good to be a Nikon Samurai!

Well I can't say the same. I was in Lexington on business Saturday and as always just dropped by the camera store for a look see. Sitting in the used equipment display was a very nice Nikkor 105 f2.8 micro that just started screaming my name as soon as I approached the glass that separated us. I knew I had to liberate it form it's little glass prison. After a little haggling with the store owner my digital kit is as complete as any camera outfit that I've owned for the last 10 or 15 years. Yes I am in hock up to my ears, but very happy. And I reminded my wife that we did have an aniversary coming up this week.

Talking Well I can't say the same

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Well I can't say the same. I was in Lexington on business Saturday and as always just dropped by the camera store for a look see. Sitting in the used equipment display was a very nice Nikkor 105 f2.8 micro that just started screaming my name as soon as I approached the glass that separated us. I knew I had to liberate it form it's little glass prison. After a little haggling with the store owner my digital kit is as complete as any camera outfit that I've owned for the last 10 or 15 years. Yes I am in hock up to my ears, but very happy. And I reminded my wife that we did have an aniversary coming up this week.
    Good for you O.T.!

Actually, I was taking photo's of some pansies in the yard when it occurred to me that I might need to get true macro lens one day...

:-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Wink what a BORING FOCAL LENGTH ANYWAY ;)

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    ah.... what a BORING FOCAL LENGTH ANYWAY ;) get a 35mm or an 85mm.... you look around daily at around 48mm i do believe.... why take boring images ;)

and $100 seems STEEP to me anyway!!!!!!!

I've got a 28-70 f2.8, so I'm covered on the wide angle. And to tell the truth, I'd like to get the Sigma 28mm f1.8 one day for star shots. The faster the lens, the more I like it!

I've actually got two 50mm f2 lens for my K1000, but I want the f1.4. Tim may like "More Power", but I like more speed. A 50mm boring? Perhaps. But I want it for astro-photography.

Now my dream lens for astro stuff would be an 85mm f1.4. Woo hoo. All I need is $1000. That's all. And I hear it makes a decent portrait lens as well. ;-)

BTW, $100 is steep to anyone that doesn't have it! They are $200 new, and I may be able to get it cheaper on ebay, but this way I can look at it, handle it, and put it on my camera before I buy it. When I get $100 saved up, that is...
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Naw.

You can get away just fine with a set of diopters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I Didn't Buy A Lens Saturday...-dragonfllys.jpg  
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Cool I Suppose I Can At That!

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    You can get away just fine with a set of diopters

If I can get that kind of performance from them.

My Quantaray (made by Sigma) 70-300mm has a macro setting at 300mm. It will give me about 1:2, which isn't too shabby. I guess a set of good diopters may just do the trick.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I knew I had to liberate it form it's little glass prison.
    That's very nice of you to do that! Great lens, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Speed - you might want to get the 50 f1.4 for your Nikon gear. It will come in handy "when" you get your D70 at about a 75 f1.4. I mean "if" (or do I??).

Talking get the 50 f1.4 for your Nikon gear

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    That's very nice of you to do that! Great lens, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Speed - you might want to get the 50 f1.4 for your Nikon gear. It will come in handy "when" you get your D70 at about a 75 f1.4. I mean "if" (or do I??).

Way ahead of you! Got that one with the N80! :-D

And I've taken my share of astro-photo's with it.

75mm f1.4....Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that. Good point Another View! Excellent point, in fact! Thanks for the input.

I want a 50mm f1.4 for the K1000 for long-exposure astro-photography work. One hour shots of nebula's, all night shots of the North Circumpolar Constellations, ...you get the idea.

"When" does seem more and more appropriate................
    Nikon Samurai # 1

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    35 F2 .. hehehe
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Liz

Talking Hmmmmmmm.....think I figured it out!

I think you're saving for that D70. ;)

Liz

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I Want A Lens!!!!!!!!!

I am looking to get the 28-70 AF-S..
    Which I am "trying" through EBay to get.
    Trouble is, I have been the winning bidder right up until the last seconds, when somebody swipes it out from me!!!!!!!

I have found it there for some great prices!!

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Talking When My Ship Comes In...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I am looking to get the 28-70 AF-S..
    Which I am "trying" through EBay to get.
    Trouble is, I have been the winning bidder right up until the last seconds, when somebody swipes it out from me!!!!!!!

I have found it there for some great prices!!

Brian

I want a F5 for my primary camera! And I intend to swap my Sigma 28-70 f2.8 for the Nikkor 28-70 f2.8 AF-S. Along with the Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8, and ...

Keep bidding buddy! And let us know if you win that 28-70!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

You Go!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    I want a F5 for my primary camera! And I intend to swap my Sigma 28-70 f2.8 for the Nikkor 28-70 f2.8 AF-S. Along with the Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8, and ...

Keep bidding buddy! And let us know if you win that 28-70!
    I would LOVE an F5, and a D2H and an F3, and, and, and.....

I shot with the 70-200 VR lens for a bit on Saturday, haven't gotten the film back yet.
    But man that was SOME lens!

I will keep at it that 28-70 though!

Brian
    Nikon Samurai #2!!!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I've Only Played With One VR Lens

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I would LOVE an F5, and a D2H and an F3, and, and, and.....

I shot with the 70-200 VR lens for a bit on Saturday, haven't gotten the film back yet.
    But man that was SOME lens!

I will keep at it that 28-70 though!

Brian
    Nikon Samurai #2!!!

That was the 24-120mm VR. I was looking to get the 28-70mm f2.8 at the time. The guy as ASAP showed my this lens. With the VR, you can get as much as three more stops, handheld. Might be an awesome lens for indoor shooting. At $600, it is the first AFS or VR lens to break the $1000 barrier. I tried it on a N80, and it is FAST! I was also amazed that it was so quiet! Not having $600, I opted for the used Sigma 28-70mm.

I read a review of the 70-200mm f2.8 AF-S VR, and it sounds like an impressive piece of glass. The guy writing the reivew had reviewed Nikon's 80400mm VR and he was not impressed with it. But he was very impressed with the 70-200mm VR. VERY impressed!

Be sure to post some of those photo's when you get them back. And write us a review of the 70-200mm VR. Inquiring minds want to know!

I know, it's a Nikon, so it rocks! :-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Thread Information