ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Huh, "T-Stops"?

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Question Huh, "T-Stops"?

I was chatting with a friend from work today whose photographic experience is quite a bit a longer than mine and he was telling me about "t-stops".
    Basically a lens that has "T-Stops" rather than F Stops in theory at least, is more likely to offer a better exposure, because, " In practice, even the best lenses exhibit light absorbance, effectively “stealing” some of the light going through them. This means that if you calculate the exposure based on the f-stop of the lens, you will end up underexposing the image, because less light is reaching the film plane than is expected in theory. T-stops are the f-stop of the lens corrected for its absorbance and reflectance. The T-stop is the true speed of the lens, calculated by compensating for its light absorbance and reflectance, and will result in accurate exposure."
    The above information was found HERE

Anyway, I'd love to hear what others may know and if anyone knows of any cameras that utilized "T- Stops". My friend mentioned a Canon, from many years back.
    Thanks!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: Huh, "T-Stops"?

sounds like a marketing ploy to make us buy new lenses!
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Dude, you don't use T stops? You are way behind the times........

Sounds interesting. More of a complete way to look at the way the light enters the camera and hits the sensor or the film? Or, just some hype.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

With TTL metering the camera is measuring transmitted light, so the idea of T stops really matters when you use an external meter.
    How often do you do that?

Each lens has different transmission characteristics, depending on glass, coatings, scratches, fungus, cheap filters, dust ... what have I forgotten that affects the transmission?

I can see my old manual OM lenses have what were once considered good coatings outclassed by currentmicro 4/3 lens coatings for example.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I'm with Paul on this! The TTL metering is reading the actual light after it goes through everything and gives you the correct exposure. To me even if you were to use a handheld meter the difference in each lens would be so small that I don't think you would see it. If you were using a handheld meter I would think that any filters that were used would make a MUCH BIGGER difference than the difference of the glass in the different lenses. Just think of all the millions of pictures taken of the years by both amateur and professional photographers that all have the wrong exposure because they did not use the T-stop method, I just don't see it. I understand that there could be a difference but I would think it would be so minimal that you could not tell the difference unless you used some type of machine or sensitive meter to read it. I just cannot believe you could see the difference if you were to take the same picture with two equal quality lenses and used the same settings, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Could it relate to this?
    FILM (ASA) SPEED TEST
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

NSSA/AIPS

I'm fairly sure this as a motion picture industry standard, from when there was (maybe still is) no TTL, every thing is/was manual and hand metered. I've seen that film lenses for the industry are classed this way.
    It's not about the camera....

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I agree Chris, and since it's a video website I'm pretty sure that's what they meant.
    I bet the Red One and other fully digital systems can measure the exposure though.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I came into this thread thinking it was going to be about the Boston Subway AKA the "T"
    Feel free to edit my Pics to show me how to make them Better.

Thread Information