ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Opinionated Newbie

How many Sticky threads do we really need?

Are we not getting carried away with sticky posts? On my 1024x768 laptop monitor, the regular posts are getting lost.

Re: How many Sticky threads do we really need?

Okay guys, tell me which ones should be unstuck and I'll do that. Let's be sure not to ask to unstick something that's active like the Chicago trip plans.

Lemme know.
    Lara

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    Okay guys, tell me which ones should be unstuck and I'll do that. Let's be sure not to ask to unstick something that's active like the Chicago trip plans.

Lemme know.
    Boston was bust...I'll restart at another time...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

k, so I'll unstick that one.

I also unstuck "What's in your office." That thread has been up there for a while.
    Lara

Back off!!!

Hey! Some of us are very excited to get a sticky thread
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

There's a thing called a scroll bar...

Todd,

I can sympathize with your situation, but the number of threads "stuck" in a forum is not decided by how much screen room YOU think you need for the rest of the posts.

It's determined by the mods of each forum and what threads we think are important to keep at the top so they don't get "buried".

I personally have no problem scrolling as little or as much as I need to see all the posts in a forum. I find that's the cost of doing business on the web...

Also, It should be no surprise that the stuck threads have piled up a bit in Viewfinder, as we have no current moderator for the forum, and Lara has a million other things to do besides keeping track of that.

BTW, complaints about this kind of thing are much better handled by either pm'ing PJ or another mod, or posting in the Site Feedback Forum...

BTW2, Lara, you can go ahead and unstick my Art Forum thread when you get a chance, so you can't say I didn't do my part...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Opinionated Newbie

I understand Steve. Scrolling is not really the issue. In the majority of forums taht I have participated in, sticky threads were only the absolute critical threads. This seems to work well. If a thread is lost on page 6, it's for a reason. JHMO.

Next time I will PM.

Re: There's a thing called a scroll bar...

I was actually finding it annoying myself, although I found a way around it: I now click on "new posts" rather than the actual forum. Voíla, only the newest stickies show up!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Does Photo-John still need our pictures of photographers? I haven't seen any of the shots on the home page. Yet it's still in my mind to do so since the sticky is still up, so I'm taking more "photographer" shots than I normally would.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Well, like I said...

...the main reason for so many stickys is that Lara and PJ are only one with editing controls over Viewfinder right now. John is out of town, and Lara has been sticking threads as she gets requests to, without really feeling comfortable making the decision to "unstick" them on her own.

Lara, I hope I'm not putting words in your mouth. We really appreciate your help with VF, and don't expect you to have to make these other decisions.

Hopefully the feedback from this thread will clean up the situation a bit.

And that's all I have to say about that...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

No Worries

There's no need to make this a major issue.

kellybean's suggestion of clicking on "new posts" is very useful.

When looking for an older post, the "search" feature works well. "Advanced" search, even more so.

I would think that when a sticky has not been posted to in a while, it would be time to unstick.
    Lara

Liz

Smile Meanwhile - just to clarify my situation

I'm still helping out on VF whenever I can find the time. I did resign as the Official Moderator of VF because of my increased work schedule. Presently, I'm not able to give all the time that I feel is necessary as a full time moderator. However, I told PJ that I would continue to help out when I can. As of now, I still have moderator privileges, and unless John decides to remove these, I will continue to help out when I can.

Regarding the stickies, I had mentioned to PJ a while back that there were quite a few sticky threads on VF most of the time. At that time John said VF would have more sticky threads than the other forums, and he didn't view this as a problem. Most of the sticky threads are about planning gatherings. These are sometimes posted many months in advance. So, when there are a lot of these, and a few other sticky threads are added, it does seem (to me anyway) there are "too many." That's why I brought it up to John.

To be honest, sometimes it is difficult to determine when to remove a sticky. I removed one a couple of months ago that people hadn't posted on in about a month, and as soon as it was removed, there were requests to re-stick it. "Win a few - lose a few." I agree that photos of photographers has been there a long time. Every time I decided to remove it, a few photos showed up. Same with the office pics. But I think it's time for them both to take a back seat.

I thought it would be good to clarify where I stand - at least for today!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    There's no need to make this a major issue.

kellybean's suggestion of clicking on "new posts" is very useful.

When looking for an older post, the "search" feature works well. "Advanced" search, even more so.

I would think that when a sticky has not been posted to in a while, it would be time to unstick.
    Last edited by Liz; 10-09-2004 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks Liz...

Liz,

I wasn't sure what your involvement was at this point. As I mentioned to you in the other forum, we really appreciate any help you provide with as much or as little time as you're able to spend here.

Personally, I think you should keep your moderator status, even if it's only on a part-time basis, but obviously you're doing what you feel is best.

I agree with you that a lot of stickys is not neccessarily a bad thing. Viewfinder by nature has many different threads that may be important to a wide range of members. And yes, I remember John mentioning he had no problem with them, either...

BTW, did you get your DSL thingy ironed out yet?

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Liz

Cool Hey there Steve

"I wasn't sure what your involvement was at this point."

I'm sorry I didn't clarify this for you a while ago. I wasn't sure myself.

"As I mentioned to you in the other forum, we really appreciate any help you provide with as much or as little time as you're able to spend here."

Thanks Steve. I appreciate it. I sincerely appreciate the encouragement.

"Personally, I think you should keep your moderator status, even if it's only on a part-time basis, but obviously you're doing what you feel is best."

Done. Actually that's not a bad idea. Actually it's a good idea. Let's see PJ's thoughts on it when he returns.

"BTW, did you get your DSL thingy ironed out yet?"

The order is confirmed with Verizon. They told me I would receive the software by October 15th - but I got it the day after it was shipped. I have to wait until they give me the ok to install. In the meantime, I still have aol.

Thanks.
    Liz

Thread Information