ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Lightbulb View Counts and Similar Threads

Two random thoughts:

First - For anyone who keeps count of number of times their images are viewed, I've noticed by looking at the "who's online" link that there are a LOT of "Google Spiders" accessing the pictures. There are also a lot of Guests who are looking. I'm sure that those two factors really bump up the view count, but don't accurately reflect the amount of times that Members are viewing. So knowing this, I don't feel too bad about high view counts versus number of replies.

Second - I'm wondering how the "Similar Threads" works. I posted a thread called "Where I've been spending my nights", and when I open it up, I find at the bottom a thread called "How do you spend your free time?"

How does it know???? This must be some very smart software!
    Last edited by opus; 08-04-2004 at 01:37 PM.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    Second - I'm wondering how the "Similar Threads" works. I posted a thread called "Where I've been spending my nights", and when I open it up, I find at the bottom a thread called "How do you spend your free time?"

How does it know???? This must be some very smart software!
    It's just simple text matching - It matched your "spend" with the "spend" in the other topic. That's also why it turned up the "Vegas Nights" post - it matched on "nights".
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

So if I post a thread that asked, "How much do you spend on film", I'd get the same results?

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    Yep, it should. If you look at your "Funny unintended effects" thread, you'll see that it matched on some threads that aren't necessarily similar in content, but they have the word "funny" in them. Now some threads that I would expect to match aren't matched (that could be due to additional requirements or posts aren't dynamically added for matching), but the basic logic is text-matching.

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Personally.....

I dont think non members should be allowed to view the posts.
    Especially since we post information about ourselves, and children, etc...

I generally feel comfortable enought to post certain things as we get to know others on the board, but complete strangers viewing this stuff kinda bothers me. I didnt really think about that before, I guess I should have.

VD
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    I dont think non members should be allowed to view the posts.
    Especially since we post information about ourselves, and children, etc...

I generally feel comfortable enought to post certain things as we get to know others on the board, but complete strangers viewing this stuff kinda bothers me. I didnt really think about that before, I guess I should have.

VD
    How would anyone know if they wanted to join? You were a complete stranger when you made your first post.
    I often direct friends and family's attention to pics here that I think they would like and also to pics that I post here.
    I just think that you have to post with the idea that the whole world can see your stuff. I like browsing other photo sites too, even though I'm not a member in many.

Good point

I completely see your point. I am just being my neurotic self. When I joined, I actually joined then reviewed the boards, then made posts. As you can see, I tend to do things backwards often ;) You know, thinking of privacy, after the fact.
    I think there are some yahoo group boards that don't let you view threads until you join, which frustrated me at the time.
    I try to keep in mind with every email or post that somwhere someone probably could get to it, so I usually try to post only things I am comfortable with others seeing, or leave out things I don't necessarily feel I want people to know or have access to.
    Im usually a privacy nut until I feel comfortable with my surroundings.
    (Which obviously I am, thanks to you great folks)

Cheers
    VD

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    How would anyone know if they wanted to join? You were a complete stranger when you made your first post.
    I often direct friends and family's attention to pics here that I think they would like and also to pics that I post here.
    I just think that you have to post with the idea that the whole world can see your stuff. I like browsing other photo sites too, even though I'm not a member in many.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    I completely see your point. I am just being my neurotic self. When I joined, I actually joined then reviewed the boards, then made posts. As you can see, I tend to do things backwards often ;) You know, thinking of privacy, after the fact.
    I think there are some yahoo group boards that don't let you view threads until you join, which frustrated me at the time.
    I try to keep in mind with every email or post that somwhere someone probably could get to it, so I usually try to post only things I am comfortable with others seeing, or leave out things I don't necessarily feel I want people to know or have access to.
    Im usually a privacy nut until I feel comfortable with my surroundings.
    (Which obviously I am, thanks to you great folks)

Cheers
    VD
    I guess I pass things through the filter of, "what access do people in my daily life have to this information?"

For instance, my mom is completely against the idea of posting pictures of yourself or your family online. But I figure, people walking down the street see my face, and people see me and my family all the time at places like restaurants, fairs, shopping malls, etc. So what's the difference?

I would not post an address or phone number here, obviously, and before I ever posted my email address I thought to myself, "what if I get some weirdo emailing me because I posted this?" I figure the chances of that are slim, so I might go ahead and post it, or another email address that could be easily closed if abused.

Places I've been, especially if they're public places, I'm OK with posting pictures of.

Pretty much my life is public, so I'm OK with what the whole world sees. I'm even OK with inviting people to see me in a public place, because I figure any nut could go there anyway, if they wanted.

Can you see any flaws in my thinking that I'm not seeing?

Thread Information