ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

How to edit this photo?

Here's one of my kitty rubbing up against the dried flowers... she isn't very cooperative and this is the best I have so far, but I like it. I have no idea if the composition is good or bad, because I don't know much about composition other than "golden thirds" and not putting the horizon in the middle.

I like the colors, but I also was trying to BW it.. I don't know. Maybe duotone it? Or posterize? If anyone has suggestions or such on what I can do to spruce this up, that'd be great. And with the nature of my cats, setting up a better shot isn't much of an option, kitty likes to be too erratic.

This picture was actually pretty difficult to edit for me, hopefully much more experienced photographers/photoshoppers will stop by and help you out.

I found that the tail in the background and the flowers at the top were distracting, and everything sort of clashed, so I tried to drop most of the colors yet balance out the distractions, but I feel I didnt do a very good job. I'll attach what I did.

Hopefully it will give you an idea of what I'm trying to say.

Hi Sean,

The only thing I would recommend for this shot is a recrop to emphasize the cat's expression. To do this you would have to exclude the distracting shadows created by your flash, and exclude as much as possible the areas where the flowers are blown out. But then you wouldn't be left with much photo. To be honest, though, if it were my photo I'd scrap it and try to set up a more perfect shot, utilizing natural light as opposed to flash. Treat your subject as you would any animal or insect that you want to photograph in the wild, and stalk its movements until you're presented with the perfect photo op. Personally, I love shooting dogs, but it takes a lot of practice and patience to get the desired photo. Perhaps others here can give you some different advice, but I really think you'd be more satisfied with the results if you just took the time to plan a reshoot of these furry little felines.

Ray

Yes I think I will try to get more shots of the cats. Luckily, they live with me and remind me of their presence continuously.

Thread Information