Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Unhappy Airline Carry-On Photo Bags

I have a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW and it has always served me well in and out of airports and in the overhead compartments. I will be taking an overseas trip and, as always, I've checked the carry on regs for the airline in question (Northwest). I have measured my bag and I'm right on the edge. On the other hand, I look at the Lowepro website, where they are now peddling the Photo Trekker AW II, and the specs are way over the airline's allowance.

QUESTION NO. 1: Has Lowepro increased the size - particularly the depth - of the Photo Trekker AW in its "II" version?

QUESTION NO. 2: Any suggestions for downsizing if it comes to that?

QUESTION NO. 3: I am going to throw all of my film into an x-ray pouch and put it in my carry on camera bag, thereby forcing the security people to either ignore it or hand inspect. Does anyone have any experience with this approach?

Quote Originally Posted by carney2
    QUESTION NO. 3: I am going to throw all of my film into an x-ray pouch and put it in my carry on camera bag, thereby forcing the security people to either ignore it or hand inspect. Does anyone have any experience with this approach?
    That's usually the approach I take. The security people may look into the bag to ensure it's just film and send you on your way, or you may be in for one of the "special" inspections where you remove your shoes and have the wand waved over you while they look into your bag to make sure it is safe. Either way, it shouldn't be too much of an inconvience.

Since it is an international flight, you'll need to be at the airport earlier than for a domestic flight, so having a "special" inspection probably won't be a problem with timing. But, I would suggest that you make sure you have enough time for the "special" inspection in addition to the extra time that you are supposed to allow for the international flight.

I have had good success requesting a hand inspection. I remove all film from boxes and place them in a see-through freezer bag. However, with an international flight, all bets are off on hand inspection.

I have also mailed my film to my destination. Then mailed the exposed film to my processor. Again, you have that international element to deal with.

-Dave-

Thread Information