ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    or Mona Lisa

Hey Almo, do you know what kind...

of snake this is. This is the same kind of snake that I had mentioned we had in our house the week before last. It was the same size and this one was crawling on the side of the house by the front door. The pattern on the head seems very distinct but my husband searched and searched online to try and figure out what type it is but we really couldnt come up with anything that looked all that similar. Both snakes looked to be babies so I am wondering how many more are around and will be trying to get into the house. Yikes. Just wondering if you could shed any light on our mystery snake.

Happy Saturday~
    Lisa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hey Almo, do you know what kind...-dsc_0001_2.jpg   Hey Almo, do you know what kind...-dsc_0007_2.jpg  

Re: Hey Almo, do you know what kind...

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Marie
    of snake this is. This is the same kind of snake that I had mentioned we had in our house the week before last. It was the same size and this one was crawling on the side of the house by the front door. The pattern on the head seems very distinct but my husband searched and searched online to try and figure out what type it is but we really couldnt come up with anything that looked all that similar. Both snakes looked to be babies so I am wondering how many more are around and will be trying to get into the house. Yikes. Just wondering if you could shed any light on our mystery snake.

Happy Saturday~
    Lisa
    It's an Eastern Milksnake, Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum. It looks injured. Please tell me you didn't hurt this poor creature. They are absolutely harmless to man. They have no poison and they are not big enough to constrict you.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Almo.....

I have seen many a snake turn it's belly up like that while basking, but it does look to be in distress doesn't it.

I haven't seen one of those in MANY years from all these cats that run around killing my birds and snakes ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

or Mona Lisa

Well, actually it is slightly...um...well...deceased. I am guessing it was a racoon or cat. We have so many pesky night creatures here probably because of the orange groves. My husband moved it to some shrubs away from the house and he was on the front steps the next morning. I guess it actually could have been a different snake than the one he moved. This is the second or third snake like this in two weeks so I am assuming there is a litter of them somewhere. I seriously will freak out if another gets in the house. I just wish we knew how the other one got in.

Thanks so much for the information. Comforting to know they are harmless.

Lisa

Thread Information